• 12(current)
HOW-TO: Automated XBMC minimal installer v0.93 for Ubuntu 12.04 > 14.04 - [4/19/2014]
I wrote an updated version of this. I have not tested on 15 but I dont see any reason it should not work. http://knightcinema.com/2015/09/17/very-...ver-setup/. There are some other good guides for home theator things there too.
Check out all my How-To's at http://KnightCinema.com
Maine, USA.
Using XBMC since Dharma 2010
Thanks but I lost patience with tinkering and just installed Kodibuntu...
Does this method have a web browser? If not, how to install one?
(2016-04-09, 14:49)acegolfer Wrote: Does this method have a web browser? If not, how to install one?

No, it doesn't. It's a minimal install. The bare minimum to get a running system with Kodi on it. There is no point trying to install a browser if you follow this guide and use the script, because there is no desktop to run a browser on.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
(2016-04-09, 14:59)black_eagle Wrote:
(2016-04-09, 14:49)acegolfer Wrote: Does this method have a web browser? If not, how to install one?

No, it doesn't. It's a minimal install. The bare minimum to get a running system with Kodi on it. There is no point trying to install a browser if you follow this guide and use the script, because there is no desktop to run a browser on.

Thanks, I thought so when op mentioned "Ubuntu server." If that's the case, I have another question. What's the advantage of this method over openelec (my current system) other than

1. writable privilege.
2. faster upgrade

Anything else?
Possibility to install every software available via ubuntu's sources. Possibility to install special drivers / kernels / and a lot more. If OE suits your needs - no need to fiddle with a minimal installation.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2016-04-09, 16:20)fritsch Wrote: Possibility to install every software available via ubuntu's sources. Possibility to install special drivers / kernels / and a lot more. If OE suits your needs - no need to fiddle with a minimal installation.

I just want to add a web browser to this minimal method. But unfortunately, it's impossible. See a few posts above.
(2016-04-09, 19:10)acegolfer Wrote: I just want to add a web browser to this minimal method. But unfortunately, it's impossible. See a few posts above.

Well, it's not impossible because you could add a desktop manager and then add a browser. However, the whole point of a minimal install is to be as lightweight as possible. I have one running on an old pentium 4 with 1 gig of memory and the entire thing, OS and kodi running, takes around 5-600 meg of memory. The minimal install can be expanded through PPA's or the Ubuntu repositories unlike OE, which is designed to be 'appliance-like' from the outset and is difficult to add things to.

If you really want/need a browser, then probably the best thing to do is install Ubuntu desktop or if you want a lighter version Lubuntu. However, my minimal install only ever runs Kodi - there is no keyboard, mouse, no fluff or extras. Just Kodi - but it runs really well on my ancient hardware !!
Learning Linux the hard way !!
  • 12(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO: Automated XBMC minimal installer v0.93 for Ubuntu 12.04 > 14.04 - [4/19/2014]3