• 2(current)
HOW-TO: Automated XBMC minimal installer v0.93 for Ubuntu 12.04 > 14.04 - [4/19/2014]
(2014-03-21, 15:25)azrael17 Wrote:
(2014-03-21, 09:28)Hack_kid Wrote: anyone test the radeon-oss with latest version of the script?

Planning on testing today.

Did a hardware upgrade and am trying to reinstall my xbmc/nas/mysql setup. So far every other method I have tried has resulted in significant screen tearing in XBMC. I was going to try your script last night but a bug in the 13.10 mini.iso won't recognize usb keyboards so I am kind of stuck. Will your script work with the Trusty-Server daily iso (as I heard the keyboard bug MAY be fixed there)?

Connect your keyboard with an usb hub and then will work fine.
Maybe an XBMCBuntu installation would also be an alternative?
Or are there too many differences between xbmc minimal and xbmcbuntu?
| myHTPC |
Ubuntu 13.10 "Saucy Salamander" Minimal CD on USB Stick
Am unable to install this as I have no keyboard input with wireless Logitech keyboard (USB).
Keyboard works fine in BIOS but not once the language select screen comes up for Install.
| Frodo| Windows7 64b | Acer Aspire Revo 3610 3GB |
| Frodo | PeppermintOS 3 | Dell Dimension 3100 | 2GB |
(2014-03-22, 01:45)emagin Wrote: Ubuntu 13.10 "Saucy Salamander" Minimal CD on USB Stick
Am unable to install this as I have no keyboard input with wireless Logitech keyboard (USB).
Keyboard works fine in BIOS but not once the language select screen comes up for Install.

As my fine friend mentioned above, USB keyboards work if you connect them using an external USB hub. I am trying it now and so far everything is working.

Thanks to rverdu above.
(2014-03-20, 10:51)illiac4 Wrote:
(2014-03-15, 22:36)FishOil Wrote: Nice

One suggestion, To help people with wireless, Sometimes XBMC starts too quickly for wireless to actually connect to the accesspoint.

In /etc/init/xbmc.conf

change

Code:
start on (filesystem and stopped udevtrigger)

To

Code:
start on (started dbus and started mountall and net-device-up IFACE!=lo)

This will make sure XBMC only starts in there is a network connection.
In my case XBMC is useless without a network connection. I dont have a single video on any of my XBMC machines.

Do not do that. It is not good to troubleshoot. If this parameter should really be needed make it optional but only few people will find this usefull. I think there are other ways to achieve this.

I gotta disagree, XBMC is almost useless without a network connection to MOST people. Every streaming video addon on the planet is worthless without a network connection.

At the very least consider adding it as an option so MOST people can have the network start before XBMC does.

(2014-03-17, 11:13)Hack_kid Wrote:

One suggestion, To help people with wireless, Sometimes XBMC starts too quickly for wireless to actually connect to the accesspoint.

In /etc/init/xbmc.conf

change

Code:

To

Code:

In my case XBMC is useless without a network connection. I dont have a single video on any of my XBMC machines.
In addition every video addon is also useless.

i'll look into that. just so you know though if you set up nfs with the correct mount options it will mount even after xbmc has booted and no network device is up. but probably a good idea to add this anyways

I dont mount anything. Its all builtin NFS
Hello,

I tried this yesterday on my Asrock ION 330 as well, everything appeared to work quite smoothly, but maybe I've done something wrong.

Once rebooted, I get the login prompt at CLI. I can login and see that the init script has started xbmc, and if I press control F8 it shows the xbmc frodo screen and continues into the app.

How do I get this to happen on boot automagically?

Nice script by the way, saves a lot of time.
at the moment it will only prompt for the oss install on 13.10. i'll figure out a way to have it run on anything past 13.04

(2014-03-22, 05:08)FishOil Wrote:

In /etc/init/xbmc.conf

change

Code:

To

Code:

Do not do that. It is not good to troubleshoot. If this parameter should really be needed make it optional but only few people will find this usefull. I think there are other ways to achieve this.

I gotta disagree, XBMC is almost useless without a network connection to MOST people. Every streaming video addon on the planet is worthless without a network connection.

At the very least consider adding it as an option so MOST people can have the network start before XBMC does.

In /etc/init/xbmc.conf

change

Code:

To

Code:

i'll look into that. just so you know though if you set up nfs with the correct mount options it will mount even after xbmc has booted and no network device is up. but probably a good idea to add this anyways

it should just work then. set your nfs server to allow interupted connections is the only thing i can think of

(2014-03-22, 05:08)FishOil Wrote:

In /etc/init/xbmc.conf

change

Code:

To

Code:

In /etc/init/xbmc.conf

change

Code:

To

Code:

also my network does start before xbmc....

also i should have an ati system to test on in the next couple weeks. then i can actually make sure the oss stuff works
I also have been unable to auto-login.

Also XBMC does not seem to boot for me (although I may be using the wrong command).
(2014-03-22, 07:15)Hack_kid Wrote: it should just work then. set your nfs server to allow interupted connections is the only thing i can think of

It does work.........if you have a network connection that XBMC can see............It has nothing to do with the server side.

Thats the point.
I5 kid ef
(2014-03-22, 01:45)emagin Wrote: Ubuntu 13.10 "Saucy Salamander" Minimal CD on USB Stick

There is a workaround for that Smile

Once the keyboard 'stops' working.. just swap the usb port and it will work again.. really funny bug.
(2014-03-22, 05:47)MrBobVilla Wrote: Hello,

I tried this yesterday on my Asrock ION 330 as well, everything appeared to work quite smoothly, but maybe I've done something wrong.

Once rebooted, I get the login prompt at CLI. I can login and see that the init script has started xbmc, and if I press control F8 it shows the xbmc frodo screen and continues into the app.

I'm having a similar issue. My Acer Aspire Revo does not automatically boot into XBMC either. Thanks for the help.
(2014-03-23, 22:59)skicr8z Wrote:

I'm having a similar issue. My Acer Aspire Revo does not automatically boot into XBMC either. Thanks for the help.

I had the same problem... Most people will tell you to play around with the 'wait on...' dependencies in the startup script, but here's what I did:

Code:
sudo nano /etc/init.d/rc.local

right after the function header:
Code:
do start() {

Add the following line:
Code:
sleep 3

So it should look like like:
Code:
do start() {
sleep 3

This tells the startup to 'wait' for 3 seconds while everything becomes available... or you can pull your hair out trying to figure out what to 'wait' for Smile

This has solved all the 'boot to login tty' problems I had on all 3 of my machines (ranging from an IB i3 + nvidia to atom/ion boxes).
Thanks. I'll try that when I am home this weekend and report back.
do this..

sudo chown -R xbmc:xbmc /home/xbmc/.xbmc

(2014-03-22, 14:50)FishOil Wrote:
(2014-03-22, 07:15)Hack_kid Wrote: it should just work then. set your nfs server to allow interupted connections is the only thing i can think of

It does work.........if you have a network connection that XBMC can see............It has nothing to do with the server side.

Thats the point.

xbmc will see it once its up. i can unplug my network and plug it back in. it will work once plugged in. you have something else configured wrong is my quess.

(2014-03-25, 19:45)isamudaison Wrote:
(2014-03-23, 22:59)skicr8z Wrote:

I had the same problem... Most people will tell you to play around with the 'wait on...' dependencies in the startup script, but here's what I did:

Code:
sudo nano /etc/init.d/rc.local

right after the function header:
Code:
do start() {

Add the following line:
Code:
sleep 3

So it should look like like:
Code:
do start() {
sleep 3

This tells the startup to 'wait' for 3 seconds while everything becomes available... or you can pull your hair out trying to figure out what to 'wait' for Smile

This has solved all the 'boot to login tty' problems I had on all 3 of my machines (ranging from an IB i3 + nvidia to atom/ion boxes).

easier way:

edit /etc/init/xbmc.conf and add a sleep 3 ; before xinit xbmc-standalone blah blah blah. i had that problem before. I thought it was due to failing HDD on my end. guess its a race condition. maybe adding the wait for network device might be a good idea as it should add a few sec delay. i think xbmc is trying to boot before x is ready. if you type ps aux you can see the X process is defunct (at least i did with that problem)

(2014-03-22, 07:20)azrael17 Wrote: I also have been unable to auto-login.

Also XBMC does not seem to boot for me (although I may be using the wrong command).

did you use the username xbmc with the password xbmc?

if not thats your issue.

if so try this

sudo chown -R xbmc:xbmc /home/xbmc/.xbmc
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO: Automated XBMC minimal installer v0.93 for Ubuntu 12.04 > 14.04 - [4/19/2014]3