What remote controll works OOTB?
Photo 
Hello all,

I have a little question about what remote controll te get for my HTPC running windows 8.1 and XBMC in my living room.

In the bedroom i have a little Foxconn nettop A-3700 / Win 8.1 running only XBMC with an old Microsoft MCE remote attached to it.
It works perfectly out of the box, i didn't had to program buttons or anything, i can controll all functions of XBMC without the need of a keyboard or mouse... so thats Super !
Attached a picture of the remote im using, i had this remote for years laying around in a box till last week i decided to give it a try and im very happy with the result.

Now i want to buy a remote for the HTPC in the living room as well and i can't decide on wich one to buy.
I'm leaning towards another MCE remote because it just works.
But thinking of it i could also get e.g. a logitech Harmony remote so i can controll other devices as well (Sony Bravia TV, Set top box and maybe other stuff).
I just dont know if the Harmony also works out of the box with XBMC.

I dont even know if they still sell the original microsoft MCE remote at this time.

Any thoughts ?

Cheers !
Marty
if you buy a ultimate or any other logitech remote you still need the mce reciever for your htpc
LibreElec Kodi | Aeon MQ ?
What htpc do you have in the living room. If its a nuc haswell it has built in ir. If not you will need an r6 compatible reciver. I have a nuc i3 haswell with windows 8.1. I use my logitech harmony 880 to control it, xbmc, plus tv plus avr. It does require special setup but logitech sofware makes it easy. If i can do it anybody can. There is a guide on the forum that shows you how. You cN even make the number keys act like a mouse.
NUC I3 Haswell with external 4TB HD, Windows 8.1
Onkyo TX-NR626 Receiver
LG 55" LCD
Cat 6 wired ethernet
Controlled with:
Logitech Harmony 880 remote
Lenovo N5902 remote keyboard/mouse
(2014-03-15, 14:14)mushoss Wrote: What htpc do you have in the living room. If its a nuc haswell it has built in ir. If not you will need an r6 compatible reciver. I have a nuc i3 haswell with windows 8.1. I use my logitech harmony 880 to control it, xbmc, plus tv plus avr. It does require special setup but logitech sofware makes it easy. If i can do it anybody can. There is a guide on the forum that shows you how. You cN even make the number keys act like a mouse.

Thanks for the replies.

I have a self build HTPCwithout a IR receiver, thanks for pointing that out.
A m8 of mine still has a original Microsoft MCE remote controll laying around, i can have it for free so i'm going with that.

Problem solved.

Cheers !

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What remote controll works OOTB?0