Videos vs Files
I have Intel NUC with OpenElec XBMC Gotham on it.
I have a NAS connected to my NUC with all my movies on it and XBMC finds all my movies and i have fanart etc.

But when i start a movie from Videos it buffers for aprox 30 seconds, but when i start the same movie within Files it starts instantly.

What could be the problem?
When you browse the file list under Videos it seems that XBMC opens each file one at a time and scans it to generate a thumbnails for each video - this is quite a lot of network access and continues until all the video files in the list have their thumbnails generated or until you start playing a video. When you attempt to start playing a video while thumbnails are still being generated the transfer to begin playing the video you requested is competing for bandwidth with the transfers that are opening each file to generate thumbnails so there can be an extra delay before playback starts. Only after playback starts are file transfers for thumbnail generation cancelled.

When you browse through your Library all the metadata is already stored in the Library so no accesses to the files on your NAS occur until you actually play a video and only that one video is opened.

I'm not sure whether the thumbnail generation in the videos section is cached or not - eg if you let it sit on that Videos list for long enough it may complete all the thumbnails and cache them for next time. Does anyone know ?
Kodi 18.3 - Mid 2007 Mac Mini, 4GB, 2TB HD, Windows 7 SP1
Kodi 18.3 - Vero4k, Raspberry Pi 2. OSMC.
Problem solved! The solution was to change protocol from AFP to SMB! ?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Videos vs Files0