My New Build, Home Cinema thread.
Not sure on exact figures but roughly a few grand (GBP)

1000+ for figures
1000+ for TV
300 for amp and speakers (old speakers)
780 for new speakers and sub
450 for nas
520 for 4 x 4TB drives for nas
130 for harmony remote

Then various other bits of kit like lights for TV unit and IR repeater stand me at about 100
Oh snap,
Now I'm feel even more envious
I think if I sprung anywhere near that to upgrade mine, I may just end up on the evening news...teehee

(i.e. in breaking news a KODI user was murdered today by his partner after using their raiding their joint savings on an awesome media center project )
It's taken me years to get there, just build it all up slowly.
I forgot to upload some pics of the new speakers once fitted so here is some pictures of them. They've bedded in nicely and sound superb, they're let down slightly by my sub as I've not upgraded that yet. Will be upgrading to a BK Elec XLS-400 when funds permit.

(2015-09-19, 13:18)GTunney Wrote: I forgot to upload some pics of the new speakers once fitted so here is some pictures of them. They've bedded in nicely and sound superb, they're let down slightly by my sub as I've not upgraded that yet. Will be upgrading to a BK Elec XLS-400 when funds permit.

Nice looking kit. Although, scrap the wife and kids - then you can pick your own wallpaper and not have your man toys damaged Smile

I'm not keen on the position of the centre speaker, it should be more or less at the same height as your head.
Please read the online manual (wiki) & FAQ (wiki) before posting.

Skins: Estuary | Xperience1080
Opinion: Never purchase HTC products
In an ideal world Id have it the same height as the LR but sadly not possibly in this setup due to the TV.

It is how ever angled up towards the listening position to project the sound which works really well and prevents the sound from feeling localised. It's so good I can't tell whether the sound is coming out the LR or the centre. It all blends which is exactly how it should be.
The reason it blends is because they are all so close together Tongue
Ideally the distance between the left and right speakers should be the same length as the distance between you an the speaker. That would increase the stereo effect quite a bit. But I guess you had to make some compromises for the looks Tongue
Any way, nice setup! Smile Love the small bezels of the TV.
I agree with the above. That being said, it's certainly a very nice set-up and incredibly tidy (you should see mine Tongue )
Please read the online manual (wiki) & FAQ (wiki) before posting.

Skins: Estuary | Xperience1080
Opinion: Never purchase HTC products
It's only the centre dialog that blends, so voices etc.

As soon as you start throwing sound from left to right it's very distinctive.

It works well for me. Centre audio blends well but you still get the desired surround sound effect when audio pans from left to right or vice versa.
Got a link for the TV/AV stand? love the grey wood look with glass.
(2015-09-21, 14:13)zag Wrote: Got a link for the TV/AV stand? love the grey wood look with glass.

Yes I got it from this website - http://www.vladon.de/Almada-V2-TV-Board

If you email them they'll put you through to their english employee.

The glass is a nice touch and it does even better with the lights on but I have these switched off when I watch a film.
Well small little update but not in the main lounge. I've had Kodi setup as a MySQL database for quite some time now but only ever had one installation in the main area.

My little boy has been asking for a TV in his bedroom. I thought numerous times about what hardware to run it on as this also needed to be able to receive UK Freeview TV or On Demand services. After much debate I decided to go with the Amazon Fire TV 4k as I could get an app called TVPlayer which gave me 90% of the Freeview channels.

I decided to share which movies he could use by creating special playlists using tags. I tagged all the movies and tv shows I wanted him to see by tagging them "kids". He doesn't have access to any settings and when he clicks a movie it plays instead of displaying info to avoid him getting access to other movies via actors.

I backed up my Kodi install from downstairs using the backup add on to get all the same skin settings and look then edited the menu items etc myself.

Kodi all setup for his TV and working like a charm.

His TV is only a small 22" but he lost the use of his drawers to due to room layout. So we decided it would be better if the TV was wall mounted.

Not bad right? But ew, look as those horrible cables, they don't bode well for my OCD. Time to get busy, luckily it was on an outside wall so there was a small gap between plasterboard and breeze block. Only needed to feed both power cables as the AFTV sits behind the TV.

All done and looking so much better, little one was thrilled with the outcome.

Kodi has been running fine on the AFTV for a few months now and thanks to my router I'm able to stream 1080p over Wi-Fi without any buffering at all. Will be using the same methods in the Master Bedroom when we eventually get a TV.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My New Build, Home Cinema thread.0