Linux Help Newbie
Hi Everyone.

Please move this post if it is posted in the wrong section of the forum. I have a little square box called MX according to the box it came with it was named Android TV BOX, i bought this on Ebay, I am very happy with it but unfortunately when it goes wrong due to a plugin or script problems I have had to telephone the company who i got it from and ask them to send me the files needed to do a restore. I don't have a problem doing this but its a pain to have to keep ringing them. The other thing is even though they send me the files one of them i suspect the image has some built in expiry date because i have tried to re-install and it does not complete leaving just the actual operating system.

Also when i have tried to delete some repos they are put back on because it connects to the server they supply and re-installs them, I telephoned them this morning asking if they can be removed and his response was no they can't unless you disable the update process, Many of them don't work or are foreign I am English so watching something in another language is not needed. As well as the adult material which can also be deleted.

I am looking for something that can replace this and something I can re-install if i have problems in the future. My MX Box is running Linux 3.0.101 #1 SMP PREEMPT

I would appreciate it if anyone can offer a better solution than the one I am using.

Thank you again
31 views and no reply Sad All I am asking for is the files needed in case of a problem surly i am not the only one who has these boxes
You bought a box with a special xbmc image from a specific vendor. No one on earth can support that box, despite the vendor, that creates proprietary images for it.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Thank you for your reply. So what you are saying is nothing else will work? which I do not believe, these boxes are massed produced and it originally had Android on it. But on the purchase i was told it was better to have Linux installed if i just wanted to stream stuff with. There is nothing special about the Image apart from saying it is there own, again I do not believe this as XBMC is free just because someone designs a back end so it connects to there servers and updates, again for which all repos are free and available on the net.

I am not asking for support on the box just an alternative XBMC so that i can choose what repos i want to put on it and not what the vendor decides to put on. Surly that is possible.
If it ran Android originally, it's likely to be an ARM-based box. If it's ARM, then chances are high you'll have to compile XBMC yourself - without knowing what variety of Linux it is, no-one can suggest a pre-built package for you, I'm afraid.

If you revert to Android (and even then you might have some hideously customised version) then you should be able to install the normal XBMC .apk for Android ARM.

Unfortunately, folks will need to know more about the specific box to advise further - even if we can locate something that looks right (like this), that doesn't mean it's the same box - different chips mean different capabilities.

If you can find out more (maybe from the eBay advert originally) then perhaps folks can help further...
Hi thank you for your post, Here is the link to the box that i purchased. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XBMC-Android-T...3a8c02c5fe

You are right about it being an ARM based box.

CPU: ARMv7 Processor rev 0 (v7I)
BogoMips: 2393.70
Hardware: Amlogic based DroidTV MX
Revision 0020

XBMC 12.2 Git:20131105-e513167 (compiled: November 5th 2013)
Your big problem is that no-one really knows what the box is. It looks to be some variant of the MX (G-Box Midnight or similar), but that's only a guess as I don't have one and we only really have pictures to go on.

You've really got two choices that I see for the operating system:

1. Revert to stock Android (if they give you such an image or if you can find one)

2. Stick with the Linux installation you have (again, knowing what it is or where it came from would be helpful)

And then you have the XBMC layer on top:

1. You've got a custom skin installed - looks like Aeon Nox or similar - can you live without the extras?

2. Very closely related, you have some dubious addons installed - the reason you can watch "movies still in theatres" is because it's streaming from Putlocker and similar. You'll get no help for those on the XBMC site, although you can reinstall them from elsewhere if you want them.

3. What XBMC depends on what OS. Standard Android is easy, you just download and install the apk from the xbmc website; Linux is harder because ARM-based Linux isn't officially supported with a "proper" XBMC build AFAIK.

Whatever you do, you're going to have to get your hands dirty and dig into what you want the box to be, what your options are with that hardware and take it from there.

If it were me... if I could identify the hardware properly, I'd probably use the official XBMC release on Linux as Plan A, and then revert to Android as Plan B - but I don't need the addons that it's been stuffed with, YMMV.

Try searching for "droidtv mx linux image" or "droidtv mx android ROM" and see where it takes you.

Of course, you may simply be able to uninstall the XBMC that the seller put on it and install "real" XBMC over the top, that would perhaps solve a multitude of sins.
Lately I am having some sound issue it stutter on Frodo 12.2 and 12.3 and then when I update to 13.0 Beta 2 most of the addon become not compatible. Any help will be appreciated.
Have a look at this

[HOW TO] XBMC Linux on Geniatech Devices

The Geniatech version i think would apply to your box

I'ts generic to all Amlogic AML8726 boxes
Press THANK USER if I Help
(2014-03-24, 22:23)mikejames Wrote: 31 views and no reply Sad All I am asking for is the files needed in case of a problem surly i am not the only one who has these boxes

How are people supposed to know WTF you even want with a stupid title like you put on this post? You want help? Put a correct title on this post.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help Newbie0