file no longer available until going into file mode
I should probably mention that to duplicate the problem, I need to shut down the PC and reboot. Once the file trick or other method is used, it seems to stick until I shutdown again.

Anyway, I did try the wake on LAN, but still had the same problem.

Another way I noticed that works is to go to the MOVIES menu (I have my view set to Thumbnails). Clicking on the Thumbnail does not work, but if I right click and select PLAY FROM HERE it works. The really weird thing is that it plays the movie corresponding to the thumbnail to the right of the one I right-clicked. But after this initial problem, the thumbnails selected play as expected.

I am running XBMC on windows 8.1 within the desktop.
Wake On LAN never worked for me either and I also can "wake it up" by clicking on a movie thumbnail then all is good. I am not sure what else to try. I will have to try and replicate it for a debug but every time I have gone to do that it has worked lol..

Like I said in a previous post I have two boxes with the same setup and this problem only happens on one of them.

I will post the debug once I have one.
Ok so managed to get debug on and recreate the problem today and all the log file says is

http://pastebin.com/HmXMZtz4

Once I click on a movie thumbnail which plays straight away then go back to the library all is good again..

Did anyone else get anywhere on this. Might go back a release to see if that helps. I have only got this since Gotham.
Thanks for the diligence, Big_D. It's not a show stopper for me but other household members are having a hard time grasping the workaround - lol.
I also have this same exact issue. I'm curious if you make any progress. My setup is XBMC 13.2 Win 7 Pro x64, basically any time the system goes to sleep and I wake it back up I have to go into files play something then I can use either the Movies or TV Libraries.
Sorry I have not had chance to play with the setup much this week, I will try an older version of XBMC or even the alpha of KODI ( is that what's it's called now?) to see if that sorts it. My only other change was to stop completely shutting the machine down and just put it into suspend. Have not had the issue for a few days but will try to have another look over the weekend.
Ok tried latest Alpha and still getting it.

Can we elaborate on our setups a little to see if there are any similarities?

I have 2 win7 64bit and an android tablet which connects via wifi. The windows boxes have the same setup booting to eventghost as the shell which launches XBMC. Centralized Nas holding the media with all users using same login etc... couple of UN-managed switches and a wired bridge / access point for the wireless devices in the house. Everything works perfectly bar the one windows box (which is wired to network).. Without trying a complete reinstall I am not sure what to try next. As its only a niggle with a quick work around its not the end of the world but it still bothers me ..
Agreed on the quick fix but still annoying. So my setup is as follows:
Mac Mini with bootcamp running Win7x64 Pro. Boot straight into windows no username / password. XBMC and Eventghost set to auto start based on start-up folder in windows. Connected via wired gig cooper to a manged switch in the same subnet as my NAS which never sleeps and is available 24/7.

Situation for me is after using XBMC for a period of time and I'm done I'll shutdown my TV / Receiver and let the mini auto-sleep which is after about 15 min of idle. Then I hit the same thing as you where if i go into movies / TV library it will say the file is not available and ask if I want to remove it. I'll say no go into Videos > Files and play anything from the NAS and then from there the library works. Another observation I have is even on a fresh reboot going right into XBMC after just being launched I get the same error and have to use the work around. So basically it's any time I use XBMC after it's not been used in one "session", so fresh from reboot or just after wake from standby.
Same deal here. I am 100% sure its not network or NAS related ( spin up of drives etc ) if I get chance may try a rebuild over the next couple of weekends as Ive been meaning to stick an SSD in this machine anyway so will post findings when I do.

If you find anything in the meantime please let me know.
Hey guys, just a note to say I went back to Frodo last week and problem has disappeared. Will keep it that way until I try a new hard disk. If anyone else gives it a try let me know your findings. Thanks
I have the same problem, but I've noticed that if I start playback directly from the remote android app it works.
Anyone have a permanent solution to this?
I had a similar issue with my windows machine and my SMB shares. I first added my shares by searching for them through Kodi. When I shutdown and powered on, windows would loose the source. What I found out was that windows would search for my share via a differnet path. When I manually added the sources via the direct IP address, the problem went away and never happened again.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
file no longer available until going into file mode1