Win AIFF Add to Library/Playback failure
Hello XBMC forum,

Let me just start off by saying that this is my first post. I've used XBMC before (Eden) but never really got into it or utilized it to it's full potential. I'm revisiting it again because iTunes refuses to play 5.1 audio (AC3/DTS, even though the iTunes store sells movies with embedded 5.1 audio tracks as far as I'm aware), and I'm looking for a more powerful media system.

Story aside, I'm really liking the improvements in the newer versions and especially the fact that I can use my PS3 controller with it, but nevertheless I have encountered a (few) problem(s). I'm still trying to figure them out on my own, but this one specifically I can't find a fix for.

In 12.3, AIFF files (with the four letter .aiff extension) will play when selected in the music>files menu, and their tags (I tag all my AIFFs with ID3v2) will not display properly. However, trying to scan it into the library does nothing. All my AIFF music is missing from the library as a result.

It gets even worse in 13.0 (Beta 3). This time around the files won't even play, and in some cases cause the program to crash (which I sort of expected considering it's beta status). It seems odd to me that this behavior would be intentional - XBMC does claim to support AIFF.

In any case I realize that it's a beta and there's probably a ton of stuff that's still broken, but I'd like to get some info or opinions surrounding it and see if I can fix it myself before submitting a bug report on Trac.

Thoughts? I'll be happy to answer whatever questions/submit debug logs to get this sorted.
With further testing I have discovered something slightly odd.
Certain AIFF files will play flawlessly. These files are, however, made using a different encoder. All of this is in Gotham Beta 3.

Probably should have posted these earlier:

http://pastebin.com/qB4aMcpN
http://pastebin.com/m7TPM1kC

Same log file split into two parts due to size limitation. At around 2:13PM I attempted to play some AIFF files from the same album and it failed. All songs made using the same encoder, dBpoweramp.

The following two files are encoded by Beatport.com [Mammoth_Original Mix.aiff], and Max 0.9.1 [01 Samurai (Go Hard) (Original Mix).aiff] respectively and play without issue. Tags are read perfectly as well.

http://pastebin.com/4dy9HWnp

I'm starting to wonder if this isn't an encoder issue rather than an AIFF one. If someone could take a quick look at the logs and see if they find anything useful that would be great.

I'll upload more with different source tracks if need be.
Quite likely you've found an ffmpeg bug with some 'bad' aiff files.

It may or may not have been fixed by ffmpeg since then.

I suggest opening a ticket on trac and attaching a file that allows reproduction.

Do the tags display in Gotham? There was a change in tagging library between Frodo + Gotham.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Could be. as I said, the working files were made using a different encoder (Beatport.com's encoder, the details of which are unknown to me).

I've opened a Trac ticket here: http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/15085

As it stands now from some testing I've just done, here is what happens, using different encoders:

dBpoweramp Files (Bad)

- Tags will not display (checked tags in iTunes and ID3 Editor, my tagging software of choice)
- Will not be added to Library on scan
- Playback will fail and in most cases cause a full crash

Max 0.9.1 Files (Some play, some don't)

- Tags will display
- Will be added to library
- Playback from either Library of Files menu fails and causes outright crash

Other files (Beatport.com, AIFF that function)

- Tags Will display
- Will be added to library
- Playback is flawless.

I can't attach any files due to the 5MB file size limit. I'll wait for further communication from the devs to see if I should find an alternate method of uploading the files.
Without files noone will look into it, so please do provide one.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AIFF Add to Library/Playback failure0