• 3(current)
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
Has anyone found a list of supported video file formats? I love my Apple TVs but my iTunes conversion and import workflow is starting to wear thin on my patience.
XBMC 10.1 | Constellation | Windows 7 Home Premium
Dell m1330 | Core2Duo 2.66Ghz | 3GB RAM | 2 TB Network Storage
(2014-04-02, 21:50)Mr. Beefhead Wrote:
(2014-04-02, 21:01)awp0 Wrote: Yeah, the Android part makes it interesting. But does anyone know if it's locked down?

"Amazon used three pillars of what competitor devices like Roku, Apple TV, and Chromecast do wrong—search, performance/slow apps, and a closed ecosystem—to illustrate what Fire TV does right. Amazon's device is a box you plug into your TV that runs on an open Android ecosystem"

http://gizmodo.com/amazons-fire-tv-every...1556889628

Seems pretty exciting to me. I'd think a device like this could have the potential to become the new obvious choice for an off the shelf, inexpensive XBMC box.

The "openness" question is interesting, and I guess we'll learn more about that soon. Can you install apps on it or not? I am assuming not because I can't seem to find any evidence that you can.

It does seem to bridge the gap between an Ouya and a Roku. Roku has had this consolidated search feature and all of these streaming providers for a while now. And of course, the Ouya has had the "open Android ecosystem" and gaming ability.

I will be curious to see how it handles 1080p MPEG2, which is a must for PVR users (at least in the US) and it's been a real problem on Android platforms.
(2014-04-02, 22:16)DaPhatty Wrote: Has anyone found a list of supported video file formats? I love my Apple TVs but my iTunes conversion and import workflow is starting to wear thin on my patience.

Doesn't list the actual file formats (containers), but according to the specs these are the supported video encodings:
H.263, H.264, MPEG4-SP, VC1
http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-CL1130-Fire...ds=fire+tv
certianly seems like you will be able to install your own apps, how the UI handles them is a question but i would assume it would work.

https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/asb/app-install.html
(2014-04-02, 22:25)awp0 Wrote: Can you install apps on it or not? I am assuming not because I can't seem to find any evidence that you can.

The FireTV page links to a page of almost 200 FireTV compatible apps and games from the Amazon app store. I'm sure they'll be expanding that list soon.
If it is indeed open then it will be a welcome replacement for my OUYA, but otherwise it is a non-starter.
What would the chances of Linux being put on one of these, has it been done on similar hardware yet?
(2014-04-02, 23:03)elmcguinness Wrote: If it is indeed open then it will be a welcome replacement for my OUYA, but otherwise it is a non-starter.

When they say "open" I am questionable of it.

Would you advertise that your system is "closed'. Nope. It sounds nicer to say "Open". Most likely it's as open as any other Amazon device.
(2014-04-02, 19:16)BORIStheBLADE Wrote: While I'm interested if it would be able to play local content off the USB or stream with XBMC I won't hold my breath. I think I'll keep waiting for Pivos next box. Hopefully it comes out soon..

Why bother? The last Pivos box was less than useless. My Raspberry Pi is 3x faster and 1/2 the price.
(2014-04-02, 22:33)lrjensen Wrote:
(2014-04-02, 22:16)DaPhatty Wrote: Has anyone found a list of supported video file formats? I love my Apple TVs but my iTunes conversion and import workflow is starting to wear thin on my patience.

Doesn't list the actual file formats (containers), but according to the specs these are the supported video encodings:
H.263, H.264, MPEG4-SP, VC1
http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-CL1130-Fire...ds=fire+tv

Thanks for the info.

(2014-04-02, 22:25)awp0 Wrote: The "openness" question is interesting, and I guess we'll learn more about that soon. Can you install apps on it or not? I am assuming not because I can't seem to find any evidence that you can.

If it has a browser then it'll be similar to Fire HDX tablets, see http://blog.laptopmag.com/sideload-apps-kindle-fire-hdx
Went ahead and ordered one. Figured I will be able to use XBMC as well once us nerds open it up lol. Funny I bought the Ouya yesterday for Mashup, guess I will send it to the parents so they can enjoy xbmc's capabilities.
(2014-04-02, 23:02)elmerohueso Wrote:
(2014-04-02, 22:25)awp0 Wrote: Can you install apps on it or not? I am assuming not because I can't seem to find any evidence that you can.

The FireTV page links to a page of almost 200 FireTV compatible apps and games from the Amazon app store. I'm sure they'll be expanding that list soon.

But XBMC isn't on the Amazon app store, or any app store. So if they don't allow "Unknown Sources" then we're SOL until some root exploit or bootloader hack comes out.
(2014-04-02, 23:15)sadboy Wrote:
(2014-04-02, 23:02)elmerohueso Wrote:

But XBMC isn't on the Amazon app store, or any app store. So if they don't allow "Unknown Sources" then we're SOL until some root exploit or bootloader hack comes out.

Oh I know, but figured it won't take long and once they do figure it out I will already have the device. Basically it's just another toy that I really don't need to be honest. Quit raining on my gadget parade man!!! haha jk
Yeah, looks like my question is answered. There's sideload ability, and there's a curated section of the Amazon App Store for apps that are compatible and presumably installable through the UI. That all sounds encouraging for XBMC.

I'm assuming the Fire TV search feature is similar to the new Roku "centralized" search where a single query extends through several channels (Netflix, PBS, etc) and the results are listed together. It would be cool if you could install XBMC onto the Fire TV and have the XBMC library hooked into the Fire TV's search and browse features as if it was another "channel" like Netflix.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC10