HTPC setup recommendation
Hey guys,

Currently I'm using an ATV2 with XBMC as my media center. The problem is that because I have a huge library (+1000movies / +150 tvshows), XBMC is getting really REALLY slow and it freezes a lot.

So I've decided to upgrade and build my own htpc or buy an Intel NUC due it's small footprint. After checking prices I believe that an Intel NUC would be within the same price range and a good custom pc, now, I'm not sure about which NUC to purchase, I've been looking at the i3 4010 (HD 4000) and i5 4250 (HD 5000).

Does it really make a huge difference the i5 performance? Is it worth the extra $100?

I do want a high performance XBMC setup, I want to install a fancy heavy skin and keep increasing my library, but, again, my only comparison is the small ATV2.

TIA

-- EDIT --

Actually, nevermind, just found the good thread here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=176718 Smile
I don't know how much a heavy CPU influences the loading of your library, but I guess that's mostly the issue. The more powerful Celerons should do as well. Don't forget the NUC has lower clocked laptop parts, I don't think the i5 would benefit you any over the i3 in your case.

If you're still using the default XBMC DB (SQLite), I guess it might help to switch to MySQL. As the name implies SQLite hasn't been designed for big databases, and with numbers like yours, I think that's the league you're playing in Smile.
* MikroTik RB5009UG+S+IN :: ZyXEL GS1900-8HP v1 :: EAP615-Wall v1 :: Netgear GS108T v3 running OpenWrt 23.05
* LibreELEC 11:  HTPC Gigabyte Brix GB-BXA8-5545 with CEC adapter, Sony XR-64A84K :: Desktop AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon 6700XT  / 27" Dell U2717D QHD
* Debian Bookworm x86_64: Celeron G1610, NFS/MariaDB/ZFS server
* Blog

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC setup recommendation0