• 12(current)
AMD AM1 SOC Platform Discussion
(2014-08-05, 12:17)-DDD- Wrote: In my Setup i can turn off the TV with my Harmony when i don't need it and the HTPC would stay on.

Yeah my outlet power switch is easily accessible and I could do the same I guess. But I really question if its financially viable spending $40 or in your case 40 pounds to save a bit of power - how many years would it take to recoup the cost of the power board? And if youre not doing it for money but for the environment, is the manufacturing of the power boards better for the environment than the generation of that tiny bit of power? Fortunately my setup is less that 2 yeas old, so standby power draw for avr is ~0.1w and tv is ~0.3w. The board I got is also a surge protector and wasnt that much more expensive than a normal surge protector board - thats how I mainly justified the purchase Smile.

It'd be interesting to see how many years it would take to recoup the price of power saving in this regard.
Exactly i have this one http://geizhals.de/brennenstuhl-eco-line...44955.html
which costs me about 15 euro. And Power/Money Save is not my only intention, as i said before.
| myHTPC |
Well thats a fair bit cheaper to the one you linked to previously. I dont really understand the majority of your reasoning, but each to their own.
Received my Asrock Am1 board today but it says for California use only and i am in the UK and i brought from a UK seller.
lol, you are just kidding

There are no restrictions about usage when you have suitable power supply (dc-in notebook brick for Asrock AM1H-ITX or normal ATX, depend of model of your board)
(2014-08-05, 15:31)shiro Wrote: lol, you are just kidding

There are no restrictions about usage when you have suitable power supply (dc-in notebook brick for Asrock AM1H-ITX or normal ATX, depend of model of your board)

Yep will be fine, i already have my Brick but no cpu yet so hurry up Amazon.
(2014-04-10, 06:12)Loto_Bak Wrote: Anyone know the status of HD audio and 3D support on these mobile AMD gpus?

Did anyone ever determine the answer to this?
So far, HD audio works flawlessly both with XBMC Gotham and Totalmedia Theatre. I can't say anything about 3D, I don't like that Wink.
Setup my Asrock Am1 setup at last the video output in win7 reminds me of my old acer revo r3610 dull but its much better in win8.1 which i hate. Had a nightmare trying to install win7 took all night to try and get it to install and then i had to install framework as it kept giving a message asking for it to be installed.
Might be better to wait for this board to mature with new bios drivers but would i recommend to a m8 no i wouldnt. Luckly i wont be using it for playing movies i will use my Fm1 htpc instead i got this for the low power use which i will check later tonight and report back once i have plugged in my power meter to check it.
(2014-08-06, 22:23)Menrad Wrote: So far, HD audio works flawlessly both with XBMC Gotham and Totalmedia Theatre. I can't say anything about 3D, I don't like that Wink.

You have HD audio in your AM1 system? Are you using Windows or Linux?
Have you measure the power consumption?

I currently have an Asus E2KM1I-Deluxe. I want to change this to a AM1 or J1900. I don't know what to choose.

This system will run as HTPC with XBMC and Serviio. Will have uTorrent for downloads and will be a NAS, already have 6 hard drives.
(2014-08-13, 00:40)wanthd Wrote: You have HD audio in your AM1 system? Are you using Windows or Linux?
Have you measure the power consumption?

I currently have an Asus E2KM1I-Deluxe. I want to change this to a AM1 or J1900. I don't know what to choose.

This system will run as HTPC with XBMC and Serviio. Will have uTorrent for downloads and will be a NAS, already have 6 hard drives.

I'm running Windows 8.1. I was using AMD E350 with Windows 7 before and had HD audio too.

I haven't been able to measure power consumption yet, I need a wattmeter first. Maybe later.
Currently with E2KM1I-Deluxe i also have HD audio.

I just wanted to know if you were able to play HD audio with AM1 in Windows 8.1. Thanks.

I'm choosing between AM1 and J1900/J2900.
The Intel platform have lower TDP (10W vs 25W in AM1).

Currently with my E2KM1I-Deluxe the power consumption of system is 40W. I have 6 hard drives and the PSU is XFX 450W. I think i can reduce the PSU too, but here in Portugal is not easy to find a SFX power supply. The system is currently running a Virtual machine with a linux system to automatically download torrents from autodl-irssi and Windows to uTorrent, NAS, XBMC and Serviio.

My goal is to reduce power consumption, because the system is up 24/7.
I've chosen AM1 over Intel because I thought picture quality would be better with AMD. I can't say if it's true but I can say that I'm not disappointed: picture quality is outstanding out of the box both in XBMC (I must say that I went from v10.1 to v13.1 ^^) and in Totalmedia HD Theatre.

At first I wanted the J1900/2900 too, but I couldn't find a reliable motherboard that provides a full PCI express port in case I wanted to add a graphic card if Intel HD didn't suit my needs.
What about the noise of the CPU fan? Can you hear it? I would like to have passive cooler, but there is no one around.

Also my E2KM1I-Deluxe has a TDP of 18W. AM1 has a TDP of 25W.
I'm afraid that changing to AM1 will rise the power consumption, instead of reduce it.

That's the 2 big doubts right now:
- AM1 have CPU fan, J1900/2900 is passive
- AM1 have TDP of 25W, J1900/2900 have TDP of 10W.
I could hear before I found a way of reducing its speed in the BIOS. Since then, it's been quiet.

From what I see, I think the intel platform would be a better choice for you. You've said it yourself: passive and lower TDP. Wink
  • 12(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AMD AM1 SOC Platform Discussion3