• 9(current)
AMD AM1 SOC Platform Discussion
I recently got the 5350 along with the Asrock AM1H-ITX. I was looking at this and the Intel J1900, but ended up going with this because the motherboard comes with the built in DC power jack and 4 sata ports. Spent a couple days switching from a 95w tdp cpu + integrated graphics mobo to this 25w SoC. Running Lubuntu 14.04 and XBMC, and it's been performing greatly.

I was wondering if anyone knew what the wattage is of the build in DC power input. I know there's only 1 sata power output and I was kind of unsure about getting some kind of 4x1 splitter and powering it all from the DC connection. I saw the manual listed 2x ram and 2x sata as working, but suspiciously there's nothing higher than that.

Also, I found this refurbished 90w AC adapter on Newegg made by Targus for about $12. It's technically 19.5 volts, but that should fall within the range of 19v +-10%, or 17.1 - 20.9 volts. No guarantees though. I'm not sure if any of the tips will fit yet and I'll update you guys on when it comes, but I've been using a similar Lenovo adapter with 19.5v and 120w with no issues. I know it's refurbished and maybe not exactly what most people will want, but it's from a brand name and I'm assuming higher quality than some of the cheap stuff on ebay, etc.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...668349&SID=

Quick update on the Targus adapter. It fits the DC input using the "P" head. Works with no issues so far and it feels sturdy.
I just got 5350 & AM1H-ITX ! took me long enough. haha.

When I first got it, I had it powered up with Pico PSU.. which worked fine.
but i wanted to take advantage of AM1H-ITX's internal psu, so i went ahead and bought this:

http://amzn.com/B0037ZKBB8

that is 19V 65 W power brick.. under $10 with prime. descent review. Quality isn't the best, but it's doesn't feel too cheap either.
and it fits in AM1H-ITX!

Here is my spec:

Athlon 5350
AM1H-ITX
Samsung 2GB DDR3 1600 1.35v x 2 = 4GB
Crucial M4 64 GB
Logitech USB dongle for K400

That's all I have plugged in and it draws about 25W when tested with Kill-A-Watt.

i will post some pictures later if anyone's interested

(2014-06-09, 13:58)pinit Wrote: ...

I was wondering if anyone knew what the wattage is of the build in DC power input. I know there's only 1 sata power output and I was kind of unsure about getting some kind of 4x1 splitter and powering it all from the DC connection. I saw the manual listed 2x ram and 2x sata as working, but suspiciously there's nothing higher than that.

I wouldn't go more than 2x ram and 2x sata really.
If you were to plug in more hardware than that, I'd suggest going with a different psu

also, btw. i installed windows 8.1 + gotham.
there's a slight UI lag when I use Aeon MQ skin.

do you think XBMCuntu or Linux + XBMC will be better?

so far, it seems like they need to have better drivers and bios.. feel like it's not really optimized.
(2014-06-12, 19:53)jangjong Wrote: I just got 5350 & AM1H-ITX ! took me long enough. haha.

When I first got it, I had it powered up with Pico PSU.. which worked fine.
but i wanted to take advantage of AM1H-ITX's internal psu, so i went ahead and bought this:

http://amzn.com/B0037ZKBB8

that is 19V 65 W power brick.. under $10 with prime. descent review. Quality isn't the best, but it's doesn't feel too cheap either.
and it fits in AM1H-ITX!

Here is my spec:

Athlon 5350
AM1H-ITX
Samsung 2GB DDR3 1600 1.35v x 2 = 4GB
Crucial M4 64 GB
Logitech USB dongle for K400

That's all I have plugged in and it draws about 25W when tested with Kill-A-Watt.

i will post some pictures later if anyone's interested

(2014-06-09, 13:58)pinit Wrote: ...

I wouldn't go more than 2x ram and 2x sata really.
If you were to plug in more hardware than that, I'd suggest going with a different psu

also, btw. i installed windows 8.1 + gotham.
there's a slight UI lag when I use Aeon MQ skin.

do you think XBMCuntu or Linux + XBMC will be better?

so far, it seems like they need to have better drivers and bios.. feel like it's not really optimized.

Would like to see pics
(2014-06-12, 19:53)jangjong Wrote: do you think XBMCuntu or Linux + XBMC will be better?

I have the ASUS MB with the same CPU and I am running XBMCbuntu with Aeon MQ skin and there is no lag at all.
If you install it be sure to follow the XBMC settings (see section 2 in first post) described in this thread http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=174854
(2014-06-13, 12:05)mmathiou Wrote: I have the ASUS MB with the same CPU and I am running XBMCbuntu with Aeon MQ skin and there is no lag at all.
If you install it be sure to follow the XBMC settings (see section 2 in first post) described in this thread http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=174854
For those of us that are a little challenged would you mind telling me the Post # instead of, "see section 2 in first post" as that makes more sense to my muddled mind

Thanks
(2014-06-16, 00:34)Caddisfly Wrote:
(2014-06-13, 12:05)mmathiou Wrote: I have the ASUS MB with the same CPU and I am running XBMCbuntu with Aeon MQ skin and there is no lag at all.
For those of us that are a little challenged would you mind telling me the Post # instead of, "see section 2 in first post" as that makes more sense to my muddled mind

Thanks

Post #1, then see section 2.
Whats the polarity for the ASROCK AM1H-ITX DC input it dont say in the manual ?
It says: Please use a 19V power adapter for the DC jack. This jack accepts dual barrel plugs with an inner diameter of 2.5 mm and an outer diameter of 5.5 mm, where the inner contact is +19V (±10%) DC and the shell is GND.

So, center positive?
(2014-06-17, 06:51)pinit Wrote: It says: Please use a 19V power adapter for the DC jack. This jack accepts dual barrel plugs with an inner diameter of 2.5 mm and an outer diameter of 5.5 mm, where the inner contact is +19V (±10%) DC and the shell is GND.

So, center positive?

Thanks very much for the answer.
(2014-06-17, 06:51)pinit Wrote: It says: Please use a 19V power adapter for the DC jack. This jack accepts dual barrel plugs with an inner diameter of 2.5 mm and an outer diameter of 5.5 mm, where the inner contact is +19V (±10%) DC and the shell is GND.

So, center positive?

Which means a 18.5V - 19.5V AC adapter will work also. That is good news!
Hi,
anyone know, if ASROCK AM1H-ITX can simultaneously output audio through optical SPDIF and HDMI? Anyone tested?
I have not found any info on internet.
Have you found the answer yet shiro ? I to am interested in this board purely for the SPDIF for my amp
not yet :-(
i want simultaneously output to hdmi and spdif to simple choose if i want sound from receiver or tv. I dont want to manually select output device in the system.
Well, on a lark I picked up an AMD 5150 AM1 APU bundled with an MSI AM1i (are model names getting more obnoxious or is it just me?), running openELEC on a Sandisk Extreme USB 3.0 stick, audio/video going through HDMI (hw acceleration enabled)... no other hardware at all inside since all my content is wired in through the network (plenty fast). I'm trying it out in my living room to see if it can push out my old monstrous C2Q Q9550 w/Radeon HD6450 on Win7 I've been using since forever (what can I say, I'm all about energy efficiency Wink ) I'm using a LG 60 in. plasma.

General observations, the UI seems a tiny bit more sluggish than I remember the Q9550 (I can live with that). Forget passthrough audio with DTS-HD MA or True HD (yeah I know, but I had to try it), snap crackle pop. Switched off all passthrough settings and watched Man of Steel 1080p MKV last night; audio seemed fine but I had to turn up the gain as I was full blast on the system volume and it still came across unusually quiet on the Onkyo. That seemed to work without issue, I didn't notice any hiccup other than moving through the timeline.

As far as the video quality goes, blacks were absolutely crushed; it was difficult to discern much of the shadow detail. That doesn't happen at all with the old setup.

Today the kids were watching Toy Story 3 1080p MKV (DTS, but passthrough off), and the playback hitched and stopped. I was putting a lot of demand on the network at the time, but that wasn't unusual and never happened before. Previously, the playback might pause for a second or two to buffer, but never outright stopped. Later the audio became distorted; I switched to the 2nd audio AAC encoded stream (keep it handy for the phones/tablets) and that problem went away.

Anyway, long story short, I'm not sold just yet. There are too many differing factors between the two setups for me to jump to conclusions. I'm considering setting aside the IGP and putting the HD6450 in there to see if these problems all go away (and try passthrough again). That's less than ideal as it defeats a purpose of the purchase. Thanks for everybody's help and insight in the past and I welcome your thoughts or suggestions.
(2014-07-12, 04:18)Jeadm Wrote: Well, on a lark I picked up an AMD 5150 AM1 APU bundled with an MSI AM1i (are model names getting more obnoxious or is it just me?),

Anyway, long story short, I'm not sold just yet. There are too many differing factors between the two setups for me to jump to conclusions. I'm considering setting aside the IGP and putting the HD6450 in there to see if these problems all go away (and try passthrough again). That's less than ideal as it defeats a purpose of the purchase. Thanks for everybody's help and insight in the past and I welcome your thoughts or suggestions.

I decided I'd try the HD 6450 I have here in my 5350 based system to see if it would clear up the uncompressed bluray issue I've posted about previously,
whilst it did cure that issue after a day or so of fiddling around with settings I ended going back to to using the IGP and the workaround I have for that particular issue, the reason being that the picture quality from the 6450 simply wasn't on a par with what the mobo was producing, the colours were far more washed, much softer and less sharp, nothing I changed could get close to the almost perfect (to my eyes) picture I get from using the IGP.
  • 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AMD AM1 SOC Platform Discussion3