• 2(current)
AMD AM1 SOC Platform Discussion
I am very curious as well Dougie Fresh. I sure hope Gigabyte or Zotac outfit one of their tiny boxes with these. Will be a nice upgrade for my E-350. That, or a more powerful Kabini part (always welcome for heavier skins).
* MikroTik RB5009UG+S+IN :: ZyXEL GS1900-8HP v1 :: EAP615-Wall v1 :: Netgear GS108T v3 running OpenWrt 23.05
* LibreELEC 11:  HTPC Gigabyte Brix GB-BXA8-5545 with CEC adapter, Sony XR-64A84K :: Desktop AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon 6700XT  / 27" Dell U2717D QHD
* Debian Bookworm x86_64: Celeron G1610, NFS/MariaDB/ZFS server
* Blog
(2014-04-11, 21:33)Mandraxbmc Wrote:
(2014-04-11, 20:43)Dougie Fresh Wrote: I ordered mine on Wednesday so it hasn't arrived yet.
Looking forward to you posting some results . A quick noob question , how would one power a hdd or ssd with a power brick setup on that Asrock mobo ?

It has a sata power connector on the board near the 24 pin connector.
Also looking forward to how things go.

Hopefully you have more luck than this guy:
http://abbyandwin.net/blog/2014/04/13/st...-platform/
(2014-04-16, 14:33)ibeleaf Wrote: Also looking forward to how things go.

Unfortunately, no. Nothing but BSODs for me on Windows 7 x64. I've done a couple of fresh installs and tried AMD CCC from the disk, 13.12 and 14.3 beta all BSOD. 13.12 is the worst. Launching anything causes a freeze then BSOD. The other just BSOD a bit later for no reason. They all BSOD trying to launch AMD CCC UI. I've ordered an ASRock AM1H-ITX in an attempt to diagnose if this is a CPU or motherboard issue.

i was able to fix that issue by reinstalling windows then installing the msi/amd drivers first before updating windows. originally i had updated windows first then installing the drivers which resulted into that error. but even figuring out that issue, xbmc still doesn't work and i get the "can't create gui" error. i've tried the nightly build of gotham as well. even tried ubuntu 14.04 LTS beta which uses the newer kernel that supports kabini, then tried stable and bet versions of xbmc, and different drivers the community has posted... nothing but instability and crashes. i think the platform is too new. i sending it back and getting an older, more stable platform. i'll try AM1 out again later when the bugs have been worked out.
Well that's disappointing. Thanks for following up.

Looks like I'll be waiting for it to mature a bit, or finding another solution. Fortunately I'm not desperate to upgrade quite yet, so I can wait it out a bit longer.
I wonder how anandtech were able to benchmark this if it's so troubling to set up.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7933/the-d...-5350-am1/
(2014-04-16, 15:00)Dougie Fresh Wrote:

Unfortunately, no. Nothing but BSODs for me on Windows 7 x64. I've done a couple of fresh installs and tried AMD CCC from the disk, 13.12 and 14.3 beta all BSOD. 13.12 is the worst. Launching anything causes a freeze then BSOD. The other just BSOD a bit later for no reason. They all BSOD trying to launch AMD CCC UI. I've ordered an ASRock AM1H-ITX in an attempt to diagnose if this is a CPU or motherboard issue.

Have you tried Linux with Radeon OSS guide to see your experience? I am looking to buy a few cheap boxes for mythtv frontend boxes and wondered if these work well with xbmc in that nature.
HTPC(s): All running LibreELEC
  • AMD 2200G APU on Gigabyte AB350N-Gaming WIFI-CF
  • RPI3 x2 | RPI2 x2
NAS: FreeNAS (Latest Stable) | NFS/CIFS
(2014-04-16, 19:37)ertman Wrote: I wonder how anandtech were able to benchmark this if it's so troubling to set up.

That's why I ordered a different brand motherboard. I think it's the MSI AM1I. That seems to be the common denominator in posts/blogs I've read where people are having trouble.
I think it must be an MSI issue, I took delivery of an Athlon 5350 and Gigabyte mATX mobo today and installed Windows 7 64 bit, installed all the drivers from the Gigabyte website, then XBMC 12.3 and can report my limited (so far) tests have shown XBMC to be working perfectly,
I only had a few movies on the HDD I connected to test it but 1080p MKV's worked just fine, I haven't sat through a whole movie but did jump to some fast action scenes and it handled them no trouble at all.
That will be it for my testing for today, but I will be setting this new box up properly over the long weekend and running it through a far more exhaustive test and will report back if I find any issues of note.
Thats good news Stammie, It looks like the msi mobo is a no go then.
Hope to find someone posting results with a Asrock board and a 5350 , till then my old faithful E350N will have to do .
(2014-04-17, 14:23)Mandraxbmc Wrote: Thats good news Stammie, It looks like the msi mobo is a no go then.
Hope to find someone posting results with a Asrock board and a 5350 , till then my old faithful E350N will have to do .

I have run into one issue namely XBMC has an issue playing back my uncompressed bluray rips, I've found a workaround for now and will try to get a solution over the extended weekend
(2014-04-16, 20:56)Dougie Fresh Wrote:
(2014-04-16, 19:37)ertman Wrote: I wonder how anandtech were able to benchmark this if it's so troubling to set up.

That's why I ordered a different brand motherboard. I think it's the MSI AM1I. That seems to be the common denominator in posts/blogs I've read where people are having trouble.

hey dougie fresh,

do u know if the stock cooler for athlon 5350 fits in your Realan E-I5 case with the ssd at the top?

i'm wondering if i should switch to athlon 5350 from A6-3500 since i only use it for xbmc, and usually have it on 24 / 7.. and sounds like AM1 will use less energy
(2014-04-17, 15:54)jangjong Wrote: hey dougie fresh,

do u know if the stock cooler for athlon 5350 fits in your Realan E-I5 case with the ssd at the top?

i'm wondering if i should switch to athlon 5350 from A6-3500 since i only use it for xbmc, and usually have it on 24 / 7.. and sounds like AM1 will use less energy

Good to see you again!

The E-i5 is the case I am using for testing this out and it fits with room to spare. I don't think it would fit in the E-i3 without some mod but I have such a mod up my sleeve. If they hadn't put the socket dead-center it would work better but it's so small that there's actually room mounting an SSD 90-degrees from normal.

The stock heatsink is super quiet. I have it set to 25% and the temps stay in the 30s Celsius. I have to put my ear right next to it to hear it.

If the driver issues get sorted out, this will be so perfect for these mini-ITX cases. The AM1 motherboards have 2 USB2 headers, so one for the front ports and one for an internal IR receiver. In the BIOS it's using around 16W. I am using the standard 120W internal DC/60W external AC power supply.

Fingers crossed.
(2014-04-17, 18:05)Dougie Fresh Wrote:
(2014-04-17, 15:54)jangjong Wrote: hey dougie fresh,

Good to see you again!

The E-i5 is the case I am using for testing this out and it fits with room to spare. I don't think it would fit in the E-i3 without some mod but I have such a mod up my sleeve. If they hadn't put the socket dead-center it would work better but it's so small that there's actually room mounting an SSD 90-degrees from normal.

The stock heatsink is super quiet. I have it set to 25% and the temps stay in the 30s Celsius. I have to put my ear right next to it to hear it.

If the driver issues get sorted out, this will be so perfect for these mini-ITX cases. The AM1 motherboards have 2 USB2 headers, so one for the front ports and one for an internal IR receiver. In the BIOS it's using around 16W. I am using the standard 120W internal DC/60W external AC power supply.

Fingers crossed.

Would it be asking too much if i ask you for a pic of how much clearance there is between the cooler and the drive for e-i5? Blush
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AMD AM1 SOC Platform Discussion3