• 3(current)
AMD AM1 SOC Platform Discussion
(2014-04-17, 20:00)jangjong Wrote: Would it be asking too much if i ask you for a pic of how much clearance there is between the cooler and the drive for e-i5? Blush

I measure ~3/8" or 9.5mm. As you can see it only overlaps a little bit.

(2014-04-17, 20:26)Dougie Fresh Wrote:
(2014-04-17, 20:00)jangjong Wrote: Would it be asking too much if i ask you for a pic of how much clearance there is between the cooler and the drive for e-i5? Blush

I measure ~3/8" or 9.5mm. As you can see it only overlaps a little bit.

Wow. I wonder if that's actually more clearance I get with my current setup.
Thanks!
and it doesn't seem to put out anywhere near the heat of a Llano. I have no way to compare how it does at any HTPC tasks though since it just crashes!
(2014-04-18, 06:24)Dougie Fresh Wrote: and it doesn't seem to put out anywhere near the heat of a Llano. I have no way to compare how it does at any HTPC tasks though since it just crashes!

I don't quite believe these values but I just did a couple of tests on my 5350,
first I had Plex transcode and stream an uncompressed bluray rip to a box in another room, CPU useage went up to between 95-98% and if open hardware monitor is to be believed after 20 minutes the CPU temp topped out at 23.8 degrees C,
then I played the same movie via XBMC on the AM1 box and it said the CPU and GPU temps had dropped to around 10-11 degrees.
Make of that what you will but I didn't notice any increase in fan noise (not that you can really hear it anyway) during both tests
(2014-04-18, 12:51)stammie Wrote:
(2014-04-18, 06:24)Dougie Fresh Wrote: and it doesn't seem to put out anywhere near the heat of a Llano. I have no way to compare how it does at any HTPC tasks though since it just crashes!

I don't quite believe these values but I just did a couple of tests on my 5350,
first I had Plex transcode and stream an uncompressed bluray rip to a box in another room, CPU useage went up to between 95-98% and if open hardware monitor is to be believed after 20 minutes the CPU temp topped out at 23.8 degrees C,
then I played the same movie via XBMC on the AM1 box and it said the CPU and GPU temps had dropped to around 10-11 degrees.
Make of that what you will but I didn't notice any increase in fan noise (not that you can really hear it anyway) during both tests

FWIW, my temperature observations are based on feel, as in using my hand, since I am unable to get Speedfan to run to see what the sensors are reporting. With Llano, in the BIOS, the case (100% aluminum) will get warm to the touch and the fan will definitely ramp up. With this setup, everything remains cool to the touch.

That's as far as I've gotten though. We'll see when I can actually run Prime95 and do some real measurements.
Found something interesting

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/AM1H-ITX/

This mobo seems like it actually has some kind of psu built in so if you are using this for small itx case like ei5, you don't need to worry about space for psu. All you need to get is 19v power adapter ....

This will save you money on psu and have extra room to spare in the case...

I might order this mobo with either 5150 or 5350

=========edit

Oops didn't realize it was already mentioned earlier lol how embarrassing
(2014-04-11, 21:33)Mandraxbmc Wrote:
(2014-04-11, 20:43)Dougie Fresh Wrote: I ordered mine on Wednesday so it hasn't arrived yet.
Looking forward to you posting some results . A quick noob question , how would one power a hdd or ssd with a power brick setup on that Asrock mobo ?

There will be SATA power ports on the motherboard or a lead that plugs onto the motherboard. And provides SATA power connections.
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

The interesting thing to me here (pricing aside which is pretty good) is decreasing my current ~65W TDP on FM2 to a seemingly much more reasonable 25W. That kind of efficiency puts XBMC clients well into "real" STB/console range which is very exciting to me.

The problem arises I suppose when you talk about adding things like RetroPlayer - something that's a little less like a STB. And before you say Android or ARM, no, I want the extensibility and manageability of an x86 platform with Windows or OpenELEC.

So while I've mulled over a 5350 + DDR3L and have shot for just how low you could get wattage at the wall, it seems that potentially you wouldn't get the lifetime out of an AM1 client that you would out of something a little more power hungry (and slightly more expensive). In other words, you'd be replacing this more quickly, kind of like the various Android boxes that are out there, as your feature requirements change or the encoding parameters of your content changes. There's the additional challenge that has been pointed out already of stability; it doesn't appear to me that Kabini is supported at all on a stable driver, and you're currently forced to beta, however maybe I'm misinterpreting the situation.

On the other hand, if you don't care about 4K or H.265 or XBMC Next (>Gotham) or playing Super Mario Bros 3 on your client, then this might be an excellent fit particularly in terms of cost for a server-backed, "thin" client build.

Not to be the guy that says "something better's coming", but based on the data thus far, Kabini's replacement (Beema?) or >Bay Trail might be the sweet spot. Even so I'm looking forward to seeing more results on Kabini.
(2014-04-19, 20:57)d0ogie Wrote: The interesting thing to me here (pricing aside which is pretty good) is decreasing my current ~65W TDP on FM2 to a seemingly much more reasonable 25W. That kind of efficiency puts XBMC clients well into "real" STB/console range which is very exciting to me.

The problem arises I suppose when you talk about adding things like RetroPlayer - something that's a little less like a STB. And before you say Android or ARM, no, I want the extensibility and manageability of an x86 platform with Windows or OpenELEC.

So while I've mulled over a 5350 + DDR3L and have shot for just how low you could get wattage at the wall, it seems that potentially you wouldn't get the lifetime out of an AM1 client that you would out of something a little more power hungry (and slightly more expensive). In other words, you'd be replacing this more quickly, kind of like the various Android boxes that are out there, as your feature requirements change or the encoding parameters of your content changes. There's the additional challenge that has been pointed out already of stability; it doesn't appear to me that Kabini is supported at all on a stable driver, and you're currently forced to beta, however maybe I'm misinterpreting the situation.

On the other hand, if you don't care about 4K or H.265 or XBMC Next (>Gotham) or playing Super Mario Bros 3 on your client, then this might be an excellent fit particularly in terms of cost for a server-backed, "thin" client build.

Not to be the guy that says "something better's coming", but based on the data thus far, Kabini's replacement (Beema?) or >Bay Trail might be the sweet spot. Even so I'm looking forward to seeing more results on Kabini.
It can play 4k, and with gpu acc. h265 could be possible as well
(2014-04-19, 15:48)jangjong Wrote: http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/AM1H-ITX/

This mobo seems like it actually has some kind of psu built in so if you are using this for small itx case like ei5, you don't need to worry about space for psu. All you need to get is 19v power adapter ....

This will save you money on psu and have extra room to spare in the case...

It won't save you money because the E-i5/i3 already come with a power supply and 12V AC adapter. You'd have to toss those and but an additional 19V AC adapter. There wasn't really any issue in the E-i5 with the wiring.

Where it will come in handy is for cases that don't have a PSU built-in. I have a few of those on hand like the S197-H55, S197-H80 and the Travla C137 (I got a great deal on these because the powerboards were trash but the 19V AC adapters are nice Seasonics!)
Anyone got These working with XBMC / Windows or any for that matter ?
From a quick read of this thread, I think the consensus here is that the MSI boards are problematic, but other ones seem to be ok. Is that accurate?
(2014-04-22, 20:35)Mandraxbmc Wrote: Anyone got These working with XBMC / Windows or any for that matter ?

(2014-04-24, 15:21)ibeleaf Wrote: From a quick read of this thread, I think the consensus here is that the MSI boards are problematic, but other ones seem to be ok. Is that accurate?

Gigabyte board here and all fine bar one bug in XBMC which is some but not all uncompressed blurays have messed up video when choosing play from beginning but my workaround is to jump forward 10 minutes then jump back straight away and all works fine, the same files work just fine in mpc-hc so I'm hoping its just an XBMC incompatibility with the current drivers.

(2014-04-22, 20:35)Mandraxbmc Wrote: Anyone got These working with XBMC / Windows or any for that matter ?

I have mine working perfectly with Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit apart from the above mentioned uncompressed bluray bug, I'm quite surprised just what this underpowered box manages to handle
I have built an HTPC with an ASUS AM1M-A motherboard and an Athlone 5350 CPU.
XMBC version is XMBCbuntu 13 beta.

This is working fine with 1080P and PCM, Dolby and DTS audio formats. However DTS HD Master Audio and Dolby True HD have dropouts and occationally some noice.

After I installed a GeforceGT520, all audio formats are OK.
(2014-04-24, 17:22)P-I H Wrote: I have built an HTPC with an ASUS AM1M-A motherboard and an Athlone 5350 CPU.
XMBC version is XMBCbuntu 13 beta.

This is working fine with 1080P and PCM, Dolby and DTS audio formats. However DTS HD Master Audio and Dolby True HD have dropouts and occationally some noice.

After I installed a GeforceGT520, all audio formats are OK.

Good to know, thanks! Looking to use XBMCbuntu myself.

How much memory is installed? I'd imagine 4GB is enough?
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AMD AM1 SOC Platform Discussion3