• 15(current)
AMD AM1 SOC Platform Discussion
(2014-11-02, 20:55)chippy Wrote: Does anyone use a pico psu with this Board AM1H-ITX is it possible ? The reason i ask is theres no place for the 12v plug

Do you mean a pico psu adapter plugging into the 19v port? or do you mean plugging in the pico psu and its 20/24 pin connector to the motherboard.

The first one is generally not compatible as most pico psu power bricks are 12v vs the 19v input requirement for the board. PicoPsu does sell power adapters that are appropriate and should work without issue along as you get one that properly matches your needs.

The second one is possible, all you do is plug in the 20 (or 24) pin power supply to the motherboard. I use a 60/80 with my am1b-itx with a 5350. It obviously depends on the power requirements of the entire system.
Hey

I tried audio HD pass through, but like in previous posts, can not get it to work under Linux. Anyone else had success?
Better off waiting six months before trying again. Upgrading the Linux kernel to 3.16 got me rear sound. 3.18 has more Radeon hdmi fixes. Hopefully HD passthrough is supported by Pulseaudio someday so programs like XBMC won't have write custom hacks once drivers are mature.

My workaround right now is to use XBMC for music only going to a AVR. I got a Oppo 103D using Samba to read my MKV movie files on my XBMC box and the Oppo sends the bitstream audio to my AVR.
Hi guys. I just wanted to see how other people have found the AM1 platform's reliability to be like. I built my first one with an Asus AM1I-A motherboard which died after 2 months. I got a replacement which was DOA. I replaced that with an MSI AM1I and that appears to have died now only 2 weeks after installing it. I'm seething at the moment as I've never had such bad luck with hardware in all my life. Before I go blaming the platform though I wanted to see if anyone else has been having issues like me?
I've had my Asus AM1M-A and athlon 5350 since June and still fine. The latest OE has had some gfx hardware acceleration bugs though but nothing that can't be worked around.
That is real bad luck what you've experienced, can't believe its coincidence. Are you using the same components with it? Maybe look at the PSU?
My 4 months old msi setup is still OK. I didn't have any major problem with it, though I had two USB devices that got fried somehow.
Thanks for the input guys.

(2014-11-22, 12:23)Morphy99 Wrote: I've had my Asus AM1M-A and athlon 5350 since June and still fine. The latest OE has had some gfx hardware acceleration bugs though but nothing that can't be worked around.
That is real bad luck what you've experienced, can't believe its coincidence. Are you using the same components with it? Maybe look at the PSU?

Yep that's what I'm thinking one of the other components is killing the boards. It's a decent quality PSU (Silverstone 300W SFX 80+ ST30F); I believe it's a rebadged Seasonic. Aside from that I have a DVBSky S952 Satellite tuner card, a Sempron 3850, 4gb Crucial Ram and a HDD. If the PSU's killing the motherboards how would I find out?

Edit - Good news, my mobo's fine! The PSU needed to be reset I guess as when I took out the kettle lead and left it for a while then plugged it back in it worked.
Spent Xmas Eve trying various updates to get HD pass through working.

Updates: Kodi 14 official release, Xubuntu 14.10, Linux 3.18 kernel

Everything runs in much better shape, but there are still critical bugs.

TrueHD pass through no longer has any hisses or pops, but there is major audio lag/dropouts especially when there is simultaneous dialog and background music

DTS pass through work better, but there are still a lot of hisses and pops.

PCM uncompessed works with pass through on or off with no differences.

One thing I did notice is that all four CPU cores are no longer stressed and humming around 20% with no 100% spikes.

This testing was done with open source radeon drivers. I tried to install AMD Catalyst drivers, but the latest version is not compatible with the latest version of Xorg server in Ubuntu 14.10.

However, the newer Catalyst drivers support VAAPI now so I'll probably give them a try after they are compatible with Ubuntu.

New Features:
The following section provides a summary of new features and supported products in this driver version.
OpenCL 2.0 support (requires 64-bit OS and compatible AMD Radeon™ R Series GPU)
VAAPI decoding support (H264, VC1, MPEG2, MPEG4)
Distribution specific package support for Ubuntu and Red Hat
So I'm new to Kodi and ubuntu and have two questions. This thread was the closest I've found for my main issue. My audio (especially in just Ubuntu) has all sorts of hisses and pops.

My system:

Ubuntu 14.10
Kodi 14

MSI AM1 mini ITX mobo
(onboard Realtek ALC887 audio)
AMD 5150
SSD
8 gig ram (black friday sale)

HDMI goes out, and then into a Denon reciever.

In kodi - The sound seems to be fine, though I have not systematically tested this.

In Ubuntu I get all sorts of hisses and pops when streaming music or video. Does anyone know a solution to this? It seems like there must be plenty of people with this mother board running ubunto 14.10 and kodi. Realtek doesn't even have ALC887 listed on their website. Ubuntu forums seem to all mention no sound through HDMI with no mention of sound - but with hisses.

2nd question. I first tried xubuntu and liked what add-ons were installed with that distribution. Is there a list of them somewhere? Which library add-on is that??
Got a AMD A1 build (5350) (Asus AM1I-A motherboard) running OpenElec 5.0.0. Almost everything is running fine, except for Youtube (very choppy/laggy) and certain movies which keeps skipping frames. Unwatchable.

Really don't know what seems to be the problem. Anyone?

Two files which are laggy:

Format : DivX
Format/Info : Hack of AVI
File size : 1,46 GiB
Duration : 1h 24mn
Overall bit rate : 2 471 Kbps

Video
ID : 0
Format : MPEG-4 Visual
Format profile : Advanced Simple@L5
Format settings, BVOP : 1
Format settings, QPel : Nee
Format settings, GMC : Geen warppoints
Format settings, Matrix : Default (MPEG)
Muxing mode : Packed bitstream
Codec ID : DX50
Codec ID/Hint : DivX 5
Bit rate : 2 014 Kbps
Width : 720 pixels
Height : 320 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 2,25:1
Frame rate : 25,000 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressief
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.350
Stream size : 1,19 GiB (81%)
Title : Video
Writing library : XviD 1.2.1 (UTC 2008-12-04)

Audio
ID : 1
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension : CM (complete main)
Format settings, Endianness : Big
Codec ID : 2000
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 448 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 kanalen
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48,0 KHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Stream size : 271 MiB (18%)
Alignment : Gesplitst over interleaves
Interleave, duration : 40 ms (1,00 videoframes)
Interleave, preload duration : 500 ms
Title : Audio

Format : AVI
Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
File size : 550 MiB
Duration : 52mn 30s
Overall bit rate mode : Variabel
Overall bit rate : 1 465 Kbps
Writing application : VirtualDubMod 1.5.10.2 (build 2542/release)
Writing library : VirtualDubMod build 2542/release

Video
ID : 0
Format : MPEG-4 Visual
Format profile : Advanced Simple@L5
Format settings, BVOP : Nee
Format settings, QPel : Ja
Format settings, GMC : Geen warppoints
Format settings, Matrix : Default (H.263)
Codec ID : XVID
Codec ID/Hint : XviD
Bit rate : 1 304 Kbps
Width : 624 pixels
Height : 352 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 23,976 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressief
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.248
Stream size : 490 MiB (89%)
Writing library : XviD 1.2.1 (UTC 2008-12-04)

Audio
ID : 1
Format : MPEG Audio
Format version : Version 1
Format profile : Layer 3
Codec ID : 55
Codec ID/Hint : MP3
Bit rate mode : Variabel
Bit rate : 148 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 kanalen
Sampling rate : 48,0 KHz
Stream size : 55,7 MiB (10%)
Alignment : Uitgelijnd op interleaves
Interleave, duration : 24 ms (0,58 videoframes)
Interleave, preload duration : 501 ms
Guess I fixed it by turning on hardware acceleration for Mpeg4. But I am very sure I did that before and it made my build crash... Weird, but fixed.
I got this working more or less. The main problem was VDPAU hardware acceleration was broken.

Installing the latest driver VDPAU driver from Open Mesa did wonders.

Current setup
Xubuntu 14.10
Linux 4.0 kernel
Open Mesa 10.32 vdpau driver
5350 Amd apu 4 gigs ram
500 gig flash drive. 4 tb hard drive

What isn't working..

truehd passthrough. I get static pops every couple of seconds so I turned true hd pass through off.

Dts master audio in 7.1 has some infrequent pops. 5.1 works fine.

24fps playback has a lot of problems. Video has a horizontal tear line at 1/3 from the top of screen. There is no audio at all for any passthrough formats. I basically turned 24fps off and everything is being shown using a 60fps refresh rate. Tried changing my native display refresh rate to 24 fps but it didn't impact anything.
Got tearfree 24fps working.

In xubuntu you just have to choose settings -> windows manager tweaks -> compositor tab then deselect enable display compositing.

Now just gotta figure out why there is no audio with 24fps with passthrough. 24fps without passthrough works.

My receiver is showing PCM 2.0. It doesn't look like it is getting any audio signal

Here's the log for 24 fps with passthrough - no audio

http://paste.ubuntu.com/10830826/

Here's the log for 24 fps without passthrough - audio works but with pops

http://paste.ubuntu.com/10830833/

Here's the log for 60 fps with passthrough - audio works with no pops

http://paste.ubuntu.com/10830841/

going to compare the logs in a bit..
Looks like I'm stuck with option 3 above for a while. Known bug which prevents any HD audio while running 24 fps video.

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=75064
Question 
Am looking to replace a Llano/C60 based computer and just purchased a 5150 with the MSI AM1 board at Frys electronics. Wondering whether this board+CPU is capable of FullHD 3D decode/playback on either Windows, Linux and looking for a good VESA mountable SFF cases for this system. Sorry if it has been answered but am unable to search this thread with just "3D" as the search term so I ended up skimming quickly through the thread.

I have been looking at cases sold by Dougie Fresh as I have found his advice to be quite solid on this and other forums but unfortunately as I understand, those cases do not allow VESA mounting (which is important for WAF Wink ).

Does that leave cases like the Antec ISK110 case or M350? And I am not even sure whether even those cases might be big enough to fit the stock CPU/heatsink/fan?

Thanks for any input,
-Topper
  • 15(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AMD AM1 SOC Platform Discussion3