AMD AM1 SOC Platform Discussion

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 4.67 Average
ertman Offline
(2014-11-02 20:55)chippy Wrote:  Does anyone use a pico psu with this Board AM1H-ITX is it possible ? The reason i ask is theres no place for the 12v plug

Do you mean a pico psu adapter plugging into the 19v port? or do you mean plugging in the pico psu and its 20/24 pin connector to the motherboard.

The first one is generally not compatible as most pico psu power bricks are 12v vs the 19v input requirement for the board. PicoPsu does sell power adapters that are appropriate and should work without issue along as you get one that properly matches your needs.

The second one is possible, all you do is plug in the 20 (or 24) pin power supply to the motherboard. I use a 60/80 with my am1b-itx with a 5350. It obviously depends on the power requirements of the entire system.
(This post was last modified: 2014-11-03 13:15 by ertman.)
find quote
jammy Offline
Hey

I tried audio HD pass through, but like in previous posts, can not get it to work under Linux. Anyone else had success?
find quote
davidtlee Offline
Better off waiting six months before trying again. Upgrading the Linux kernel to 3.16 got me rear sound. 3.18 has more Radeon hdmi fixes. Hopefully HD passthrough is supported by Pulseaudio someday so programs like XBMC won't have write custom hacks once drivers are mature.

My workaround right now is to use XBMC for music only going to a AVR. I got a Oppo 103D using Samba to read my MKV movie files on my XBMC box and the Oppo sends the bitstream audio to my AVR.
find quote
cyrils Offline
Hi guys. I just wanted to see how other people have found the AM1 platform's reliability to be like. I built my first one with an Asus AM1I-A motherboard which died after 2 months. I got a replacement which was DOA. I replaced that with an MSI AM1I and that appears to have died now only 2 weeks after installing it. I'm seething at the moment as I've never had such bad luck with hardware in all my life. Before I go blaming the platform though I wanted to see if anyone else has been having issues like me?
find quote
Morphy99 Offline
I've had my Asus AM1M-A and athlon 5350 since June and still fine. The latest OE has had some gfx hardware acceleration bugs though but nothing that can't be worked around.
That is real bad luck what you've experienced, can't believe its coincidence. Are you using the same components with it? Maybe look at the PSU?
find quote
Menrad Offline
My 4 months old msi setup is still OK. I didn't have any major problem with it, though I had two USB devices that got fried somehow.
find quote
cyrils Offline
Thanks for the input guys.

(2014-11-22 12:23)Morphy99 Wrote:  I've had my Asus AM1M-A and athlon 5350 since June and still fine. The latest OE has had some gfx hardware acceleration bugs though but nothing that can't be worked around.
That is real bad luck what you've experienced, can't believe its coincidence. Are you using the same components with it? Maybe look at the PSU?

Yep that's what I'm thinking one of the other components is killing the boards. It's a decent quality PSU (Silverstone 300W SFX 80+ ST30F); I believe it's a rebadged Seasonic. Aside from that I have a DVBSky S952 Satellite tuner card, a Sempron 3850, 4gb Crucial Ram and a HDD. If the PSU's killing the motherboards how would I find out?

Edit - Good news, my mobo's fine! The PSU needed to be reset I guess as when I took out the kettle lead and left it for a while then plugged it back in it worked.
(This post was last modified: 2014-11-24 13:06 by cyrils.)
find quote
davidtlee Offline
Spent Xmas Eve trying various updates to get HD pass through working.

Updates: Kodi 14 official release, Xubuntu 14.10, Linux 3.18 kernel

Everything runs in much better shape, but there are still critical bugs.

TrueHD pass through no longer has any hisses or pops, but there is major audio lag/dropouts especially when there is simultaneous dialog and background music

DTS pass through work better, but there are still a lot of hisses and pops.

PCM uncompessed works with pass through on or off with no differences.

One thing I did notice is that all four CPU cores are no longer stressed and humming around 20% with no 100% spikes.

This testing was done with open source radeon drivers. I tried to install AMD Catalyst drivers, but the latest version is not compatible with the latest version of Xorg server in Ubuntu 14.10.

However, the newer Catalyst drivers support VAAPI now so I'll probably give them a try after they are compatible with Ubuntu.

New Features:
The following section provides a summary of new features and supported products in this driver version.
OpenCL 2.0 support (requires 64-bit OS and compatible AMD Radeon R Series GPU)
VAAPI decoding support (H264, VC1, MPEG2, MPEG4)
Distribution specific package support for Ubuntu and Red Hat
find quote