Frodo & Gotham Linux Builds for Amlogic M3 Devices

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3.5 Average
pieman Offline
Just to add:

I was thinking that the devices are flashed with Linux because it is the 'best' OS available. From this I was expecting to be able to run my device with almost all Linux features i.e. for home automation as well as Kodi (XBMC). I guess they are flashed with Linux as it offers the best viewing experience, less buffering etc rather than other operating systems.

I have downloaded the openvpn source but there doesn't seem to be a compiler in the firmware. I am guessing I would also need to download the XBMC source provided by the OP but I am lost after that when it comes to compiling openvpn. Can anyone direct me to a 'tutorial' of some kind as to how I would do this?
If it is not difficult for a guru to do perhaps I could pay someone a nominal sum to compile openvpn?
find quote
ukoda Offline
(2014-12-12 11:42)pieman Wrote:  Just to add:

I was thinking that the devices are flashed with Linux because it is the 'best' OS available. From this I was expecting to be able to run my device with almost all Linux features i.e. for home automation as well as Kodi (XBMC). I guess they are flashed with Linux as it offers the best viewing experience, less buffering etc rather than other operating systems.

I have downloaded the openvpn source but there doesn't seem to be a compiler in the firmware. I am guessing I would also need to download the XBMC source provided by the OP but I am lost after that when it comes to compiling openvpn. Can anyone direct me to a 'tutorial' of some kind as to how I would do this?
If it is not difficult for a guru to do perhaps I could pay someone a nominal sum to compile openvpn?

Your post may be a bit off topic as what you are asking is more if a Linux/ARM questions but here are few suggestions. Normally you would not build binaries from source code on the player as it normally has limited resources. The normal process is to do a cross compile on a PC and either upload the binary directly or create a package supported by the player.

To create the software on a PC you would normally install a GCC cross compiler tool chain. It is less of a Kodi issue and more of Linux on ARM process, so sites XDA developers, and many other are a good place to start. I suspect you will not need the Kodi or Linux source, but other dependencies can cause problems with non-trivial software like VPNs.

I am not sure what, if any, package manager has been installed with this build, someone else may be able to comment on that. In my case I wanted rsync and I was able to find a prebuilt binary and simply copy it to /bin.

OpenVPN can be quite a complicated beast to set up, you may wish to look at Tinc, which while still not simple seems to be a bit easier to set up and get to actually work. There are a couple of ARM builds of it but you would would still need to work out how to install it on this build.
find quote
cptmarginal Offline
Am I the only one out there still waiting for a new build?

The last released one was very stable (and thank you for sharing it) except it had a problem with low bitrate audio which broke many video files.

Even just a new release fixing that would be very helpful, and much appreciated.

Does anyone know how to resign the latest Pivos build to remove the device check? That would be great - installing Kodi on my GBox Midnight. I believe that latest release also fixes the long-standing issue with popping sounds during mp3 playback, and also integrates an external userdata folder once again (now within a folder called "kodi-data" on your USB stick)

Never mind, I found a re-signed build elsewhere. Won't provide a link, just search for "xbmc 13.1 for pivos and clones" and look at the latest pages of the thread.
(This post was last modified: 2014-12-24 21:49 by cptmarginal.)
find quote
cptmarginal Offline
Sad  RE: Frodo & Gotham Linux Builds for Amlogic M3 Devices
OK I've still been unable to install anything newer than the build posted in this thread back in May.

Even this new (supposedly appropriately signed) build I downloaded earlier gives me "signature verification failed" on install.

Damn it
find quote
mac905 Offline
(2014-12-25 00:15)cptmarginal Wrote:  OK I've still been unable to install anything newer than the build posted in this thread back in May.

Even this new (supposedly appropriately signed) build I downloaded earlier gives me "signature verification failed" on install.

Damn it

Hi man, im running the hydra 13.1 from June 9. The link is on page 17 in my post. Sorry I can't copy it as I'm on a very small phone typing this in the dark. Haha
find quote
cptmarginal Offline
Thanks for the reply

I get "signature verification failed" with that one too

How are you installing the .img file? My recovery menu only allows me to choose zip files, so I added the file to an archive and selected that to update from. I suppose that's been the problem, that the zip file isn't signed? I had tried signing my files using signapk but couldn't get anything to work.

Just trying to figure this stuff out Big Grin
find quote
mac905 Offline
(2014-12-25 22:57)cptmarginal Wrote:  Thanks for the reply

I get "signature verification failed" with that one too

How are you installing the .img file? My recovery menu only allows me to choose zip files, so I added the file to an archive and selected that to update from. I suppose that's been the problem, that the zip file isn't signed? I had tried signing my files using signapk but couldn't get anything to work.

Just trying to figure this stuff out Big Grin

Hi mate, oh, I just flashed the .img directly... My recovery doesn't seem to care about only zips. You don't choose the 'Update from ZIP' option but rather flash/side load I think it's called...

Can I confirm that you're trying this on a MyGica 510B? That's what I have and it's buttery smooth with the 13.1 Hydra image...
find quote
cptmarginal Offline
I'm using a G-Box Midnight, an M3 device.

Going to try some more to figure this out. Guess I need to get an SD card and use the direct firmware recovery mode to install the img file. Or maybe I should install Clockworkmod

In any case, gotta figure out something; the current version I have flashed sucks
find quote
nightowl6900 Offline
Here is the hydra 13.2 version that works with my g-box midnight m3. I got it from matricom and you have to put the two files on a blank sd card. Enjoy and happy holidays. https://www.dropbox.com/s/5khvj7v4kdee8l...M.rar?dl=0
find quote