Is it good enough?
Hello,

If I understand correctly, my 2.5 gig P4 with 1.5 gigs of RAM and EVGA GeForce 6200 512mb ddr2 video card should be good enough to run XMBC but is it good enough to run 720p on my 32 inch TV? I was hoping to stream 720p through XBMC to the TV. I don't have the computer set up to the internet yet to test it...

Thanks!
What version of XBMC will you be using?

Your processor has a winmark score of 251 which is pretty bad

I used to have an E350 running openelec with decent performance and later Windows 7 that I felt was too slow for the and that scores a winmark of 760 points.
XBMC specs: MINIX U9-H LibreELEC 4K all day

Home Theater - Samsung 65KS8000 - Denon 3200- Ascend Acoustics speakers - Maelstrom 18in sealed sub 7cu ft - Behringer EP2500

UNraid Server – Pentium G3258 – MSI - H81M-P33 – Antec HCG-400M PS - 8Gb RAM
partial bump for you.

You may want to run OpenElec as it will be lighter not the system.

I am running on an anemic system right now, but I agree with joe_sun, that the processor might give you more than some issues, however it should be possible with a supported video card. Thats the other problem, I am unsure if it is supported, I find conflicting information, probably some of it is out dated and maybe a more senior member might be able to help.

Either way, its free to find out.
I am not an expert on the hardware specs for xbmc i have been running XBMC on a second hand Dell GX620, Pentium D with 4GB of Ram since XBMC version 10 on Windows 7 and it has run flawlessly for years. My specs are not that much better than yours. I dont recall what video card I am running but it was the cheapest brand that I had heard of from Newegg that had HDMI out. Pretty sure it was a Sapphire Radeon and it was like $22. I stream 1080 across my home network with no problem. ertman is correct OpenElec may be a better choice simply because the OS doesnt use as many resouces but it comes with a little bit of a learning curve and if you are not familiar with it troubleshooting can be a pain. I also have a 256mb RaspberryPi that i have played around with when things dont work they way they are suppose to troubleshooting sucks IMO.

If you are using hardware you have an not buying anything just try it and see if it meets your needs. It doesnt cost anything to try.
Well I think your hardware is quite suitable enough for XMBC
The best thing about your situation is that you can easily test your system out by installing XBMC and see for yourself.
You can download a few mpeg movies and that should give you an idea.
Better yet,..if you have a DVD player,..pop in a movie and see how it plays.

You my need to upgrade something,...but try it out first before you drop any money into the system.
Wow, thanks for the responses! Gort, I'm probably going to get it working online and try it out to see how it works.

On the other hand, I was considering buying one of those Android PC things and try that out instead. They are cheap after all. A buddy of mine recommended the G-Box Midnight MX2. Anyone using one of these?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is it good enough?0