• 3(current)
Slingbox client and Slingbox SlingPlayer support built-into XBMC?
stoph Wrote:Again I've messed around with the plugin to get Slingbox streaming to VLC. Ive also seen a few sites saying that the guy who put this plugin together is very open about his code. Could that be a way to progress?

This indeed sounds like a good approach. If I read this correctly, this should already enable you to actually play the stream from within xbmc. Just install the plugin on a computer and then stream it within your network. From within XBMC, you can access this streamed file. Did you try this and did it work?

stoph Wrote:Is there any structure to this idea by the way? Is there a Project set up to investigate possibilities or feasibility? Is there anyone specific who is leading this through that we should be addressing these ideas to?

That would indeed be even better!!! The ultimate solution is of course to get this plugin into XBMC. Given that it works with VLC (and assuming that the dev is indeed open/liberal with his code), this might be working. Any of the XBMC developers interested to pick this up? Would indeed be fantastic!!!
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
I too would love to see this develop. There is an web site were u can connect to your slingbox via internet. http://beta.sling.com/sling_player .
Eskimo Wrote:I too would love to see this develop. There is an web site were u can connect to your slingbox via internet. http://beta.sling.com/sling_player .

This sounds like a great idea. Anyone knows whether this plug-in, which is required could be integrated into XBMC and whether it could be integrated. This would really be fantastic to get the "live-tv" function integrated!!!
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
With Eventghost and a harmony remote I just set it up so that when I want to watch TV I press "TV" on the harmony and it launches the Windows slingplayer client in full screen, minimizes XBMC, and changes the harmony remote to emulate the dish box I use with my Slingbox. I use a solo HD model and it's pretty hard to detect any difference in quality, HD or SD - in full screen it looks just like I've got my dish receiver hooked up right to the TV.

The whole thing in action is not as inelegant as it sounds; granted not as cool as having a slingplayer feed inside XBMC using it's skin (and it leaves out Linux/Xbox XBMC users, of course) but if you're using a Mac or PC it's a perfectly decent way to have everything fed to one media center PC over a network, which is what I was aiming for anyway.

The day the fully integrated EPG/TV project for XBMC is realized will be a very happy one for me too but this gets me by in the meantime. I can't wait for solid "front end" client support for back ends like Mythbuntu, Sage, etc.
You can stream a Slingbox to XBMC using VLC and a .strm file BUT without sling remote support or any of the other slingplayer features, there is also a slight delay in the picture so sound is a bit off, unless I'm doing something wrong

Reply to this thread if you want to know how but keep in mind the whole process is mostly manual like choosing the channel you want to watch and starting the stream capture, unless of course you keep your PC on all the time then you only have to worry about changing the channel. The XBMC part is like choosing a movie to watch so very easy.
jacksback Wrote:Reply to this thread if you want to know how but keep in mind the whole process is mostly manual like choosing the channel you want to watch and starting the stream capture, unless of course you keep your PC on all the time then you only have to worry about changing the channel. The XBMC part is like choosing a movie to watch so very easy.

Would be great to understand better how you are doing it and what your experience is (eg, with variable fps). Thanks!!!
Question 
is there any way to watch my slingbox on an xbox 1 thought the xbmc HuhHuhHuhHuh

thanks

mattHuh
To be honest I haven't played around with it much. I just wanted to see if it was possible to select the "LiveTV" link in XBMC and have it stream

What you need to get it to work

Download VLC Player 0.8.6e
http://www.filehippo.com/download_vlc/3852/

Download VLC Beta5 Slingplayer plugin and follow instructions
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/slingbo...g_mirror=0

If you installed VLC and the Slingplayer plugins correctly you should have a new slingplayer "access module" in your VLC preferences page (Settings, Preferences). Extend the page, check the advanced options tab and enter your login and IP details for your slingbox and save. (If unsure about your slingbox IP, start the proper slingplayer software and wait for it to start streaming. Now open a DOS window (command prompt), type netstat and press Enter, search for port 5001 and note down the corresponding IP, that's your slingbox IP. **exit out of the slingplayer software before continuning because VLC will be unable to connect to the slingbox!)

Open stream to test video and audio

Press the play icon in VLC and put the following in the customize section (at the bottom of the window you are in)

sling:

Click Ok and hopefully your VLC player is streaming live tv from your slingbox. If not, it may have terminated due to incorrect info so make sure your logon details and IP address are correct in the Slingplayer Access Module section. If your slingbox is off or the details are wrong you should get an error. I've had issues before where I start the stream with correct info but it fails after a second or two, when that happens I just press play again until it 'takes' which is usually by the 2nd attempt.

Capturing the stream

If all worked correctly you should be watching your slingbox through VLC. Now we need to capture the stream so press the Stop Icon. Click File and select "Open Network Stream", select the drop down next to the Customize section (at the bottom of the window) and you should see your custom sling string from above [sling:] Select the sling string and check the "Stream/Save" box before clicking on Settings. In the settings page check the HTML box and enter your desktop IP in there, keep the port as 1234. If unsure of dekstop IP, open a command prompt and type ipconfig before pressing enter, note down the number next to IP Address, something like 192.168.0.??

Further down change the encapsulation method from "MPEG TS" to "ASF", click OK to leave the Settings page and OK again to accept the changes on the Network stream page. You should now only see a small VLC window open and if all is working you will see the word "Slingbox" under the Fast Forward icon. If you do, VLC is taking in your Slingbox stream and rencoding it to an asf stream and broadcasting it via http on your desktop machine.

Create the strm file

Open up My Computer, C, D or whatever drive you want and create a text file. Make sure that you are able to see file extensions so that you can change the .txt extension to .strm. Name your text file @LiveTV and save. Right click and update the .txt part so that it looks like so in explorer

@LiveTV.strm - I put a @ in front of LiveTV to make it appear at the top of my movie folder page in XBMC

Double click the strm file (choose wordpad to open it) and put the following text in

http://[YOUR_DESKTOP_IP]:1234

Save and exit

You now have to decide where to put this file all depending on how you actually use XBMC. If you use an XBOX you can upload the file to one of the partitions or drop it into a directory that you currently share with ccsxstream or Samba sharing. I for example have a "Movies on C" share on my Desktop PC that my Xbox streams from using ccxstream.

Once you figured out where to put it, launch XBMC and start the .strm file as you would say a movie. You should now see TV streaming through XBMC

Enjoy
Let me know if you have any issues
jacksback Wrote:Let me know if you have any issues

Thanks a lot for your post and the long description on the how-to. I havent been "on" for a while, so sorry for the late reply.

Understand and like proposed approach, but has one big prob. If I go this route, I wont be able to switch channels unless I leave XBMC and switch to VLC. The workaround would be to somehow get above mentioned plugin integrated into the XBMC underlying player. Any thoughts on this and how to get it done?

Any other thoughts based on the web based access through sling.com?
Adding a similar plugin to XBMC would be the way to go but it seems as though it's pretty low down on the priority queue.

Web based streaming from beta.sling.com won't be possible on the Xbox because the plugins are only for Firefox and IE and NOT for linksbox (the Xbox Internet browser)

All we can really do now is wait for a developer with time on his hands to write us that plugin.

Regarding changing channels, yes this is a pretty pointless way of doing things. This may be useful to someone who only wants to watch a specific channel in a room that doesn't have cable but does have an XBox, a TV and an ethernet/wireless connection. You should maybe describe your setup so that I can better understand what you are trying to achieve?

Fingers crossed that someone releases sling support for XBMC soon
You can also change channels within VLC by hitting the up and down arrows, useful if you have remote desktop support or VNC and want to change the channel you're watching on your Xbox using your laptop, iPhone or any other device that supports remote logon. Also, if you look at the instructions you can start the stream on a channel of your choice

sling:[SlingBoxAddress[:SlingBoxPort]][/channel?][/input?][/timehh:mmConfuseds]
Hey guys...I started playing around with the component of the SlingPlayer client called "SlingSDK". It turns out it's completely .NET Managed code, which means the DLL's can be added as references within a C#/VB.NET application.

I wrote a blog back on April 16th about how to create a form hosting the SlingPlayer control. It's kinda buggy...but what do you expect with having no documentation on how the SDK works. :-)

http://www.geekteligence.com/blog/index....ngSDK.html
XBMC Media Center is coded in C++ though, ...XBMC is not a .NET (C#/VB.NET) application, see:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Development_Notes

[EDIT]: Know also that XBMC is for the first 'old' original Xbox and not for the 'new' Xbox 360 Rolleyes
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Gamester17 Wrote:XBMC Media Center is coded in C++ though, ...XBMC is not a .NET (C#/VB.NET) application, see:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Development_Notes

[EDIT]: Know also that XBMC is for the first 'old' original Xbox and not for the 'new' Xbox 360 Rolleyes

I know that...but you could use SlingSDK in conjunction with a custom WSDL web service written in .NET to provide methods of changing channels...then write a plugin in XBMC so you can change channels directly within the interface in conjunction with the VLC Slingplayer plugin.

And DUH...I know XBMC is for the stone-age Xbox. Wink For the 360...I'm going to develop a Media Center extension to tie into SlingSDK.

All I was trying to do was toss a little extra knowledge everyone's way... Big Grin
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Slingbox client and Slingbox SlingPlayer support built-into XBMC?2