Win PVR backend question
I am setting up a system on my test bench and trying out various settings/programs before I decide on a single one. My end goal is to have XBMC as my frontend, a PVR backend for live TV, and my Plex server for all my movies/TV (sans live TV) while out of the house. In the end I would like to have a Ceton Infinitv4 or 6 PCIe in the main media pc that serves as a combined front/backend.

Currently I have an Intel C2D E2220, 4GB ram, WinTV HVR-1800 w/ OTA antenna for testing. So far I have tested WMCserver and NextPVR as the backend. Everything works fine as long as I only try to view live TV on the primary machine. Once I try to connect my Ubuntu desktop to it the NextPVR will pixelate pretty bad and the WMCserver won't even connect. I tested on the primary machine by changing the PVR plugin settings from 127.0.0.1 to the actual IP address of the machine and testing each backend. There is a noticeable difference between the localhost and the public IP even with just viewing locally. It is not near as bad pixelating as if I try to view remotely but it is definitely there. *EDIT* - I just setup a windows laptop with XBMC and the two pvr client addons. The WMC still refused to connect. However the NextPVR did reasonably well considering the machine was on a wireless signal instead of wired. I could not see any pixelation.

I am open to either Windows or Linux as my PVR backend, I use both extensively daily. The only reason I was leaning toward Windows for the backend is so that the Ceton card wouldn't have to worry about any copy protection. I still have yet to have tested MythTV with this setup but it is next on my list. I have friends that use the Infinitv4 with good results in MythTV but they say they can't get any movie channel and the channel changes are "slow". I have read where xbmc with mythtv already has this slowness in some instances on channel changes so I would hope that would not make it more prevalent.

So I'm looking for any input on the best way to go about this. In the end I plan to have the main combined front/backend as my main HTPC in the living room with a acer revo 1600 XBMC/Openelec frontend in the greatroom and possibly another client in the bedroom. The other client could be one of those mk808 android on a stick deals or similar.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PVR backend question0