OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 3

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.88 Average
Milhouse Online
Team-Kodi Member
Fair Warning

Update: Recent builds are based on "Helix".

XBMC "master" is now, with the release of Gotham RC1 on 27 Apr, once again open for non-Gotham commits. This means there is likely to be a lot of activity in the coming weeks following the 6 months of feature freeze. There will be breakage, but also some interesting changes that will be well worth testing (eg. move to the latest ffmpeg).

Many of the newclock3 commits that have been tested over the past few months are now in gotham_rbp_backports and should appear in official OpenELEC builds, so if you favour stability then stick with the official builds.

I will continue with periodic build releases based on master and whatever popcornmix throws our way. Fingers crossed the generally pretty good review procedures and change management will keep problems to a minimum. Your continued feedback and testing is appreciated.

Skin Warning

Test only with the stock Confluence skin included in each build.

Other third-party skins may not work, and several errors with third party skins are known (here and here) and should not be reported.

By all means use third party skins if you can - skins that do not support the latest GUI ABI will be marked as "incompatible" by Kodi. - but please do not report errors unless the error can be reproduced in stock Confluence.

Recent builds:
Feature Requests:
I will not be adding extra add-hoc packages to these builds as that is not their purpose, which is to help test bug fixes and enhancements for existing features/packages/drivers in stock OpenELEC. New functionality may be included for testing purposes if it is considered beneficial, highly likely to be merged upstream in the near future, and is available as a github pull request or commit.

I have no desire to create builds with unique features upon which someone becomes dependent, as this benefits nobody in the long term not even those using the unique features once I stop creating new builds. In theory, when I stop creating new builds you should all be able to seamlessly switch back to official OpenELEC builds which by then should be including most if not all of the enhancements originally tested in these builds.

If you care about long term support for your favourite package, feature or driver and want to see it included in an OpenELEC build, contact the OpenELEC developers on github and open an issue requesting the addition of support in the base OpenELEC build (or better yet, create a Pull Request with patch). That way everyone building or using an OpenELEC derived system "wins".

Additional Testing Notes:
  1. The FIQ_FSM patch is now enabled by default in OpenELEC master. See the FIQ_FSM announce thread for details.

One new feature is accelerated support of high-speed isochronous transactions (webcams, real time devices, etc.). There's a possibility this could be used by ALSA or DVB modules (although not always) which may affect some users (hopefully for the better).

If you need to disable FIQ FSM, add the following option to the end of the line in your /flash/cmdline.txt file:
    Code:
    dwc_otg.fiq_fsm_enable=0

2. Starting with build #0529, very limited usage information will be collected during the first boot of each newly installed build. The information collected is: current build#, Pi memory size (256MB or 512MB) and maximum ARM frequency. No IP or personal information is collected!

If you wish to opt out of data collection, run the following command:
    Code:
    touch /storage/.config/milhouse.dnt
    The purpose of this data collection is really just to get an idea of how much testing is being carried out and on what hardware, and would otherwise be achieved via non-opt out server logs were such logs available.

3. Debug builds are occasionally uploaded to the debug folder.

Use a debug build to obtain a backtrace for unexplained crashes and restarts:
    1. You'll need a 512MB Pi with a FAT partition of at least 300MB. Install the debug build as normal, copying the tar to your .update/Update folder and reboot.
    2. Reduce gpu_mem to 128 or as low as you can live with while still able to reproduce the problem. It may be possible for gdb to load all the symbols with higher gpu_mem and a dose of swap (128MB+) but expect it to be quite slow.
    3. Shut down and then restart Kodi with gdb:
      Code:
      systemctl stop kodi
      gdb -iex "thread apply all bt" -ex run --args /usr/lib/kodi/kodi.bin --standalone -fs --lircdev /run/lirc/lircd
    4. When kodi.bin eventually crashes, control will return to gdb. Now is the time to print the backtrace. In gdb, type:
      Code:
      bt
      detach
      quit

Here's an example gdb session: http://pastebin.com/0MtvQUeY - the "bt" command is entered at line 133.

Copy and paste your gdb session to pastebin.com or xbmclogs.com.

Once a backtrace is available it should give some clues (maybe even all the clues) to understand what is happening and enable a developer to work on a fix.

Without a backtrace it's very unlikely there will be a fix for random crashes.

4. Odds and sods
    1. What are newclock3 and newclock4? Link.
    2. Incorrect timezone after build #0824. Link.

Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(This post was last modified: Today 00:22 by Milhouse.)
find quote
Milhouse Online
Team-Kodi Member
New OpenELEC Gotham build: #0415b
(Supercedes previous build)

Code:
# uname -a
Linux rpi512 3.14.1 #1 PREEMPT Tue Apr 15 18:29:38 BST 2014 armv6l GNU/Linux

# vcgencmd version
Apr 15 2014 14:57:55
Copyright (c) 2012 Broadcom
version c1dc12512d5fe9340b6a2ca9badf9441fe6675a8 (clean) (release)

# lsb_release
OpenELEC (Milhouse) - Version: devel-20140415182817-r18188-gcf7a732

Based on tip of XBMC master (a46e548, changelog) and tip of OpenELEC master (cf7a732, changelog) with the following modifications:
  • Includes newclock3 commits (except for 5697f2a, a patch to avoid hammering the GUI, which has been replaced with a static spinner)
  • Includes Python regex package for evaluation purposes. Initial benchmarking indicates generally positive (and in some cases, significant) performance gains. See this post for a description of how to test effectiveness of this package with addons
  • Excludes the OpenELEC fernetmenta patches due to conflict with newclock3
  • Excludes the OpenELEC gotham_rbp_backports patches in favour of sourcing these same patches directly from newclock3 branch
  • Default setting for "Show RSS Feed" changed to disabled
  • Disabled "Total Duration" in Confluence (see build #0221 for details)
  • ALSA is enabled and any suitable hardware should be available in XBMC Audio Settings
Build Highlights:

New firmware, new 3.14.1 kernel, newclock3 3D rendering fix. Update that may make FIQ FSM more reliable.
  1. New Firmware Apr 15:
    • firmware: video_render: Support stereo rendering modes for 3D video. See: link.
    • kernel: Add support for BRCMFMAC wifi driver
  2. OpenELEC:
    • linux: update to linux-3.14.1
    • xproto: update to xproto-7.0.26
    • xbmc: add upstream patch (PR4563)
    • xbmc: add PR4562
    • SAMSUNG remote keymap update - EXIT and RETURN key codes swapped
  3. newclock3:
    • [omxplayer] Support stereo view modes with scaling (requires latest firmware)
  4. kernel 3.14.y:
    • fiq_fsm: Push error recovery into the FIQ when fiq_fsm is used

Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(This post was last modified: 2014-04-15 20:15 by Milhouse.)
find quote
host505 Offline
I'm afraid 3D is broken on latest build. On SBS only left side is displayed and on TAB only top.
Aspect ratio is propper though, on 16:9 and 2.40:1.
find quote
popcornmix Online
Team-Kodi Member
(2014-04-15 21:40)host505 Wrote:  I'm afraid 3D is broken on latest build. On SBS only left side is displayed and on TAB only top.
Aspect ratio is propper though, on 16:9 and 2.40:1.

Are you sure video is correctly tagged?
Try using OSD video settings to explicitly set video type to SBS or TAB.
find quote
host505 Offline
Yes it is, I test with the same videos that I was testing the previous build. TV is switching to 3D mode and the correct 3D type is set on.

SBS
TAB

Does it work ok with you popcornmix?
Also, can you switch 3d modes? E.g 2d mode? Cause I can't, never could as far as I recall on pi. Haven't tested the betas though.
Ar switching does affect the video now.
(This post was last modified: 2014-04-15 22:07 by host505.)
find quote
FattyMcDirty Offline
Uhhmm... latest releases keep rebooting after the XBMC startup-boot-logo here...?! Any clue? I'm kinda in a constant boot-loop with the XBMC logo ... Sad
find quote
Milhouse Online
Team-Kodi Member
@FattyMcDirty: How far does it get before xbmc crashes (check your xbmc.log). Try deleting/renaming .xbmc and restart - maybe an addon or database is causing a problem. Needless to say, it's working fine here.

You can stop xbmc with "systemctl stop xbmc.service".

find quote
FattyMcDirty Offline
Got it. This line kept him from booting further:
hdmi_ignore_cec_init=1

commented it out and it's booting right away.

Tanks anyways!
find quote
Mafarricos Offline
Fiq fsm is enabled? In #415b?
find quote
Milhouse Online
Team-Kodi Member
Yes

find quote
Mafarricos Offline
(2014-04-15 23:08)MilhouseVH Wrote:  Yes

Ok, will test it. With my WiFi dongle and keyboard dongle in previous I had to disable. Let's see if new kernel solves this for me.
find quote
popcornmix Online
Team-Kodi Member
(2014-04-15 21:57)host505 Wrote:  Does it work ok with you popcornmix?
Also, can you switch 3d modes? E.g 2d mode? Cause I can't, never could as far as I recall on pi. Haven't tested the betas though.

Not as well in my setup at home as it was at work.
I'm not sure I'm reading the current video stereo mode with the correct method. It's often right, but not always...
find quote
Mafarricos Offline
(2014-04-15 23:21)Mafarricos Wrote:  
(2014-04-15 23:08)MilhouseVH Wrote:  Yes

Ok, will test it. With my WiFi dongle and keyboard dongle in previous I had to disable. Let's see if new kernel solves this for me.

It seems that videos dont freeze to me.
Good work!
find quote
tuxen Offline
Fan
(2014-04-16 00:10)popcornmix Wrote:  
(2014-04-15 21:57)host505 Wrote:  Does it work ok with you popcornmix?

Not as well in my setup at home as it was at work.
I'm not sure I'm reading the current video stereo mode with the correct method. It's often right, but not always...
Yeah only left frame is displayed for me to now with files with black borders, and 16:9 files fills the whole screen with the left frame so they look very odd in 3D mode, switching off 3D on the tv makes them look like a mono file. Very odd as they should appear the same since the black borders are encoded in the file. Forcing SBS gives same result. GUI/subs is shifted to 3D mode fine.
(This post was last modified: 2014-04-16 03:16 by tuxen.)
find quote
Milhouse Online
Team-Kodi Member
New OpenELEC Gotham build: #0416
(Supercedes previous build)

Code:
# uname -a
Linux rpi512 3.14.1 #1 PREEMPT Wed Apr 16 02:12:50 BST 2014 armv6l GNU/Linux

# vcgencmd version
Apr 15 2014 14:57:55
Copyright (c) 2012 Broadcom
version c1dc12512d5fe9340b6a2ca9badf9441fe6675a8 (clean) (release)

# lsb_release
OpenELEC (Milhouse) - Version: devel-20140416021139-r18192-g7dbffd7

Based on tip of OpenELEC master (7dbffd7, changelog) and tip of XBMC master (3962cec, changelog) with the following modifications:
  • Includes newclock3 commits (except for 5697f2a, a patch to avoid hammering the GUI, which has been replaced with a static spinner)
  • Includes Python regex package for evaluation purposes. Initial benchmarking indicates generally positive (and in some cases, significant) performance gains. See this post for a description of how to test effectiveness of this package with addons
  • Excludes the OpenELEC fernetmenta patches due to conflict with newclock3
  • Excludes the OpenELEC gotham_rbp_backports patches in favour of sourcing these same patches directly from newclock3 branch
  • Default setting for "Show RSS Feed" changed to disabled
  • Disabled "Total Duration" in Confluence (see build #0221 for details)
  • ALSA is enabled and any suitable hardware should be available in XBMC Audio Settings
  • FIQ FSM is enabled by default (dwc_otg.fiq_enable=1 dwc_otg.fiq_fsm_enable=1 dwc_otg.fiq_fsm_mask=0x7). See initial post for more details.
Build Highlights:
  1. OpenELEC:
    • openvpn: update to openvpn-2.3.3
  2. XBMC:
    • PR4554: dont show kaitoast error when compiled with --disable-webserver
    • PR4562: flac demuxer: improve seeking
    • PR4562: ffmpeg: backport flac seeking patch
    • PR4563: ActiveAE: check suspend state before creating a stream
  3. newclock3:
    • Revert "[3D] Support switching to 3D resolutions"
    • [omxplayer] squash: Use GetStereoModeFlags for determining video 3d flags

find quote