Gotham IMDB Tag in file name
I swear that I saw this mentioned some weeks back, but now I can't find it any where. So, if I can be pointed in the right direction, that would be okay too.

Is Gotham going to be supporting the IMDB id tag in the file name of the movies?
For example: The Avengers (2012) at IMDB has this unique id " tt0848228 " in the url. Can this go in the file name of the movie and Gotham would use that exact movie for scraping?
The reason I ask is that during my testing on a PC where the file names were as specified here in the wiki, the scrapers kept grabbing the most obscure and very wrong movie titles and fan art instead of the correct movie. But, if I can point it directly to the exact URL to begin getting the data, it should be nearly perfect, no?

Here's the deal...
First off, I am VERY new to XBMC.
I have been testing XBMC 12.x on a PC. I have been trying out other physical devices to be my media player on my main home theater: WD-TV Live, KDLinks, my Roku, etc. At one point in time I was backing up all of my disks as MKV files and then changed my mind and did them all over as ISO format because I was pretty sure I was going to stick with the WD-TV player. But, after much nashing of teeth and shredding of clothes, I have committed to (ie. bought) a dedicated PC (Lenovo Q190) to run XBMC (have not decided on staying with Windows or OpenElec). When using the WD-TV, I needed to add a tag in the file name of each movie so that the add-on I was planning on using (MovieSheets+) could get the exact data from IMDB. All 300+ movies are now named this way, but I'm not going to use the WD now.

So, since I will have a brand new system with a brand new install of XBMC and can do it the exact right way, can I leave the IMDB tag in the file name or will this confuse Gotham? I swear I read somewhere that Gotham was going to support the use of that tag, but that I might have to change the way it is written in the file name.

Thank you,
Can you take a screenshot of your one of your movies, including the full path.

Ideally you should use something like this:

driveletter:\The Avengers (2012)\The Avengers (2012).fileextension

That could be X:\The Avengers (2012)\The Avengers (2012).mkv or X:\Films\The Avengers (2012)\The Avengers (2012).mkv
Please read the online manual (wiki) & FAQ (wiki) before posting.

Skins: Estuary | Xperience1080
Opinion: Never purchase HTC products
O:\Movies\The_Avengers (tt0848228).iso

When using the WD TV with MovieSheets+ (still unreleased 2.0.5), the naming convention needed nothing else so that is what I have my entire library named like. And, because the ID is unique, I could simply name every movie with just the IMDB tag and no other data, and the scraper will go and get the exact information.

What I can't figure out is why I can't find the thread here that mentioned that Gotham was going to support this now.

My new PC is still a few weeks away, and if I need to rename everything to something that will guarantee proper scraping then I'd like to get started.
(2014-04-17, 15:23)Tjoe70s Wrote: What I can't figure out is why I can't find the thread here that mentioned that Gotham was going to support this now.

Because it's not supported and will not be in Gotham.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2014-04-17, 16:03)Martijn Wrote:
(2014-04-17, 15:23)Tjoe70s Wrote: What I can't figure out is why I can't find the thread here that mentioned that Gotham was going to support this now.

Because it's not supported and will not be in Gotham.

Thanks - do you know if there is a skin or plug-in that uses the IMDB id tag?

My goal here is to make a firm decision about the direction I want to take my setup. I don't mind having to put in extra work to get the features that I want (writing xml files, installing the right skins or add-ons, etc.) but I'd like to do it right the first time and not find out later that I could have just done x, y, and z to do it easier/better instead.

Thanks again,
Most movies scan in with the IMDB name and date in parenthesis, for the few that don't (mistaken number in the name, comma out of place etc) you might get lucky with a time-out and if you do them in smaller batches they should be easy to find. Manually scraping should solve 90% of the remainder but for the stubborn few left, a manual edit in Gotham with just the unique id " tt0848228 " as the title will bring the exact listing.

The universal scraper seems to have many settings which include the IMDB and a few others.
(2014-04-17, 17:34)PatK Wrote: Most movies scan in with the IMDB name and date in parenthesis, for the few that don't (mistaken number in the name, comma out of place etc) you might get lucky with a time-out and if you do them in smaller batches they should be easy to find. Manually scraping should solve 90% of the remainder but for the stubborn few left, a manual edit in Gotham with just the unique id " tt0848228 " as the title will bring the exact listing.

The universal scraper seems to have many settings which include the IMDB and a few others.

How can I do them in smaller batches?

So, in Gotham, on the ones that don't load correctly, I manual edit it, put the imdb id in the title and it will go get it? Very acceptable!
Will this work on Frodo as well?

When I began testing XBMC on my side PC, the FILE names (before modifying them for MovidSheets+) were mostly the exact way that the DVD named them - except for the ones that didn't have a unique name at all. This meant that I had movies with file names like SK2d1.iso (for Spy Kids 2 disk 1), and the default scraper(s) were picking some of the strangest movies from around the world to use for it. When renaming my files for MS+, I changed some of the file names to make more sense to me, but I haven't run these on XBMC yet to see how well it likes them.

Thank you very much!

Quick question - since I'm rebuilding this all from the ground up, what is your ideal file structure?
1 - All files in one main folder and let XBMC/skin/playlist manage the collections
2 - Put all collections in their own folder and all singles in the main folder
3 - Put every movie in its own folder even if it is just one show

I'm thinking about asking this question as a new thread -- will I get killed for doing so?

Thanks again!
If you name your files correctly then the scraper you use will pick up the correct title without an issue.

Instead of "O:\Movies\The_Avengers (tt0848228).iso"

name it

"O:\Movies\The Avengers (2012).iso" or "O:\Movies\The Avengers (2012)\The Avengers (2012).iso"

I have genre folders as sources, 30+ genre with a few hundred folder/files in each.

Quote:So, in Gotham, on the ones that don't load correctly, I manual edit it, put the imdb id in the title and it will go get it? Very acceptable! Will this work on Frodo as well?
Correct, I tested it just now in Gotham... and I've been using it in Frodo and previous iterations.

If you're using a windows machine, try theRenamer, multiple drag & drop simplicity. http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Sup...ls/Windows

1) as noted, limit your folder/files so that the O/S can read quickly.
2) I would recommend each video has it's own named folder, sub folders work but are a little harder to handle.
3) Yes for the most part... but I do have all the James Bond in one folder etc... I have one drive devoted to my sets.

I didn't think killing by internet is possible, if it was the world over population problem would be settled. Unless you have a pressing issue I don't see that keeping a thread up to hand hold during this time will get you the kind of respect you'll need to further your goals.
How about nfos with the IMDB link within?
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=NFO...ning_a_URL

Works here with Universal Scraper, content set to Movies on "Movies" folder, deselected folders with movie name, selected scan recursively
If the above works then great, should help resolve the issue. I still don't understand why people want to include that in the info, rather than using a suitable file structure and naming convention. As the saying goes 'each to their own'

Smile

(2014-04-17, 19:53)Piers Wrote: If the above works then great, should help resolve the issue. I still don't understand why people want to include that in the info, rather than using a suitable file structure and naming convention. As the saying goes 'each to their own'

Smile

It's not that I want to. I had to do it that way when I was going to use a WD TV device with an add-on called MovieSheets+. That add-on required the tag so that it could go out and get the exact metadata from imdb that you wanted. My entire library was renamed for this and I have since decided to move on and get a dedicated HTPC and XBMC. I was mostly checking to see if I could leave the file names the way they are, or if I need to rename them. Since I have a great opportunity to start from scratch, I just want to do it the right way.
Renaming here i come! LOL!
That being said, Piers, do you have any advice for someone that is starting out fresh?

I have all of my files (ISO) on a Synology NAS and will be running XBMC on a Lenovo Q190 w/Windows 8 (64), and plan to use XBMC Launcher since I might want to use this as a workstation from time to time. On my test PC, I've tried several skins, but after some very helpful youtube videos on various skins out there, I am leaning heavily towards AEON NOX, using Showcase.

I value your input - what kind of folder/file structure do you prefer?

Thank you,
(2014-04-17, 20:07)Tjoe70s Wrote:
(2014-04-17, 19:53)Piers Wrote: If the above works then great, should help resolve the issue. I still don't understand why people want to include that in the info, rather than using a suitable file structure and naming convention. As the saying goes 'each to their own'

Smile

It's not that I want to. I had to do it that way when I was going to use a WD TV device with an add-on called MovieSheets+. That add-on required the tag so that it could go out and get the exact metadata from imdb that you wanted. My entire library was renamed for this and I have since decided to move on and get a dedicated HTPC and XBMC. I was mostly checking to see if I could leave the file names the way they are, or if I need to rename them. Since I have a great opportunity to start from scratch, I just want to do it the right way.
Renaming here i come! LOL!

Oh right, makes total sense now.

(2014-04-17, 20:17)Tjoe70s Wrote: That being said, Piers, do you have any advice for someone that is starting out fresh?

I have all of my files (ISO) on a Synology NAS and will be running XBMC on a Lenovo Q190 w/Windows 8 (64), and plan to use XBMC Launcher since I might want to use this as a workstation from time to time. On my test PC, I've tried several skins, but after some very helpful youtube videos on various skins out there, I am leaning heavily towards AEON NOX, using Showcase.

I value your input - what kind of folder/file structure do you prefer?

Thank you,

My advice for a fresh library is to use drive -> directory -> filename. I have multiple drives dedicated to either TV or Film so I'll give a few examples of paths.

A couple of films, both drives are 4TB and only contain films.

X:\Django Unchained (2012)\Django Unchained (2012).mkv
W:\Candyman\Candyman.avi

A few TV shows, again drives are 4TB and only contain TV shows - but you could have both on a drive and a directory called driveletter:\Movies\ or driveletter:\TV\

Y:\Angel\Season 04\Angel - 4x12 - Calvary.avi
Y:\Psych\Season 07\Psych - 7x14 - No Trout About It.mkv
E:\Fawlty Towers\Season 02\Fawlty Towers - 2x05 - The Anniversary.avi
E:\Sherlock\Season 02\Sherlock - 2x03 - The Reichenbach Fall.mkv
D:\Greys Anatomy\Season 10\Grey's Anatomy - 10x19 - I'm Winning.mkv
D:\Bullet In The Face\Season 01\Bullet in the Face - 1x06 - Cradle to Grave.mkv
F:\Luther\Season 01\Luther - 1x05 - Episode 5.mkv

Those are some examples, I use the freeware FileBot to rename ALL my TV shows and films, you can set the naming convention the way you like it, I like to use 'Show Title' - 0x00 - Episode Name.extension' but you could use '101' if you liked.

Important points
Films
1) Include a date at the end of the title, example: Django Unchained (2012) - if another film is made with the same name, but a different year, then the scraper will pick the correct one.
2) Keep the structure simple, if you have iso images then continue to use drive -> directory -> file.iso - keep the naming

TV
1) House of Cards is a good example, there is the original UK version and and the new US version. For the UK version the directory is called 'House of Cards' and for the US version the directory is called 'House of Cards (US)' - this applies to other programmes like Skins, Impractical Jokers and many more. If you're unsure then visit thetvdb.org and search for the show to see what it's called there (if it has a country code after the title).

2) Episode naming can be 101, S01E01, 1x01 and a few others, it's entirely up to you but I would use with S00E00 or 0x00 for episode naming, making sure each episode is within a Season 00 directory (Season 01, Season 02 etc).

That's pretty much it. If you don't want to rename everything manually then give FileBot a go, there are other applications but I've used it for over 18,000 video files with only a few errors.

Thank you Piers. I'll give these consideration.

Is there any benefit to having individual movies in their own folder? I could see if I was going to have NFO files for each, it makes a nice place to keep them, but if it is just a single movie (no parts or series), is there any other reason? For instance, does it bother the scraper if some movies are in folders and some are not?

Terry

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Gotham IMDB Tag in file name0