• 6(current)
[Project] Dual Audio Output support (Nexus/Matrix/Krypton/Jarvis/Isengard/Helix/...)
Hello complete noob. I recently moved from XBMC Windows to XBMCbuntu. I would really like dual audio. Optical to AVR and HDMI to TV.

I am not an expert Ubuntu user, but can ssh into box. Does anyone have a step by step to get this working on Xbuntu. I am running the latest Gotham.

BTW I read thru the /DOCS/help off the git, however I am stuck.

Code:
xbmc@xbmc:~$ xbmc@xbmc:~$ ./configure
-bash: xbmc@xbmc:~$: command not found
xbmc@xbmc:~$ -bash: ./configure: No such file or directory
-bash: -bash:: command not found
xbmc@xbmc:~$ xbmc@xbmc:~$ sudo ./bootstrap
xbmc@xbmc:~$ [sudo] password for xbmcss:
-bash: [sudo]: command not found
xbmc@xbmc:~$ sudo: ./bootstrap: command not found
-bash: sudo:: command not found
xbmc@xbmc:~$ xbmc@xbmc:~$
xbmc@xbmc:~$
(2014-06-22, 19:26)Chessie Wrote: If you want to use the binaries, it's version 4.0.4 64 bit for the X86 class systems. Just download the OpenELEC-Generic.x86_64-4.0.4-DualAudio-r017.tar file and extract the 4 KERNEL and SYSTEM files from the directory named "target". Copy those 4 files to the /storage/.update directory on your OpenElec system and reboot. You should then have dual audio. If you want to stay at 4.0.5 or use one of the other builds such as ATV, you'll need to setup a build environment on another system and apply the patch. Make sure you turn off auto update in the OpenElec settings or 4.0.5 will download and change you back "single" audio.

Thanks Chessie, that's a huge help. Sure hope someone here keeps building builds to stay current with the OE team (I may have to learn to do that myself).
(2014-06-22, 16:09)Chessie Wrote: Probably because your trying to install the Generic 64 bit build on an ATV. That build is for X86 systems. ATV is a separate build altogether,

So there is no patch for i386 systems only 64bit?
(2014-06-22, 20:48)powerplyer Wrote: BTW I read thru the /DOCS/help off the git, however I am stuck.

I found that the help files are a little incorrect. You need read through the readme.ubuntu and readme.linux files and install all the required dependencies. The help files point to the wrong location for the dual audio xbmx and don't tell you to change into the xbmc build directory. Try the following:

cd $home
git clone https://github.com/xhbl/xbmc_dualaudio.git xbmc
cd xbmc
./bootstrap
./configure
make
sudo make install
nunz56,
Maybe someone has a build environment setup and can build an ATV version with the patches applied for you?
(2014-06-23, 18:41)Chessie Wrote: nunz56,
Maybe someone has a build environment setup and can build an ATV version with the patches applied for you?

That would be GREAT! I wish I knew how to build myself but I'm new at Linux. As I indicated before I am familiar with SSH and entering command line as well as copying items via CyberDuck. Any help would be appreciated! Smile
BRILLIANT!!! ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT.

Sure hope this makes it into the main branch of XBMC.

Thanks!
Hello everybody,
how can apply the patch for openelec 4.0.5?

Thank you.
(2014-06-23, 04:53)goffa Wrote:
(2014-06-22, 20:48)powerplyer Wrote: BTW I read thru the /DOCS/help off the git, however I am stuck.

I found that the help files are a little incorrect. You need read through the readme.ubuntu and readme.linux files and install all the required dependencies. The help files point to the wrong location for the dual audio xbmx and don't tell you to change into the xbmc build directory. Try the following:

cd $home
cd xbmc
./bootstrap
./configure
make
sudo make install

I'm also running XBMCbuntu with little linux experience. I've seen the posts about copying xbmc.bin and settings.xml, but given my lack of experience, following the compile documentation seems the way to go.

I've read the documentation and I'm willing to try to compile it myself, however, I'm wondering if installing all those dependencies on my the xbmcbuntu installation on my HTPC (an i3 with 30gb ssd) would slow the machine down or take up excessive space?

If I compile it myself will it simply replace the xbmcbuntu build of xbmc with the dual audio build? Do I need I need to uninstall the original installation first?

Finally, once I've compiled it from source, how do I update it?

Thanks
(2014-06-24, 11:09)mal00n Wrote: Hello everybody,
how can apply the patch for openelec 4.0.5?

Thank you.

Is there anything compelling in 4.0.5 that you need? If not, stay on 4.0.4 and turn off your auto update. It's working great for me.
(2014-06-23, 04:53)goffa Wrote:

cd $home
cd xbmc
./bootstrap
./configure
make
sudo make install

If the help file is indeed incorrect, help fix them on github. That was everyone will benefit instead of looking for the answers in this forum.

I have been running this on Windows 7 machine for a few weeks and have not seen an issue yet. Been using my surround sound much more now! Thanks again.
Ever since Windows 7, and other modern operating systems, this functionality was much sought after. If you search for dual audio, you will notice many countless posts about people struggling with this functionality. I always believed it was intentional on part of audio programmers for various operating systems, let's go with Microsoft (DirectSound) to limit this functionality for the common everyday user. This meant you can have audio coming from 1 output at a time. The real reason for this was copy protection of digital content. But Microsoft would never admit this to the consumers who wanted this functionality to set up multi-zone audio systems. If you were using realtek for playing back your audio, you probably found out that you could only have 1 output at a time. Your analog or your digital but not both. Then there was a realtek audio patch that allowed both outputs to function together. I was able to send a digital stream to a AVR, and 2channel to analog using this. You could do this with certain SoundBlaster and Asus cards as well if the driver allowed it.
When I asked about why this was not working in XBMC, a few "experts" and "developers" came along on the forums telling us that it was not possible and would never be done due to the way AudioEngine worked.
Looks like this patch proved them wrong. I wonder where those guys are now. I remember one of them claiming to be a developer who helped develop the AudioEngine. To the creator of this patch, I say thank you. You proved those guys wrong. It seems you know your stuff. How is it that those "expert AudioEngine developers" failed to include this Multi-zone capability as standard. What you have done here for everyone is absolutely a great gift. This functionality cannot even be found in paid software. Kudos to you, and shame on those AudioEngine delevopers with their arrogant posts and remarks in the past about why this was fully impossible. They could learn a thing or two from you on how to code their "AudioEngine". Looks like they must have drank Microsoft and Sony combo Kool-Aid because XHBL just did what these arrogant idiots could not. XBMC is great, but some of these forum trolls posting as developers, well, you guys should stick to posting what cannot be done, and let XHBL design your sound system because he just took Microsoft and their operating system back to school. Thank you XHBL.
Quote:Looks like this patch proved them wrong

Please don't mix up what we said. I did not say that it was not possible, only that it would require lots of changes in the architecture. You have to distinguish between some prototype as this patch here and a proper solution we can maintain over timer and which works in every environment.
(2014-06-26, 03:56)OCDHD Wrote: Looks like they must have drank Microsoft and Sony combo Kool-Aid because XHBL just did what these arrogant idiots could not. XBMC is great, but some of these forum trolls posting as developers, well, you guys should stick to posting what cannot be done,

you might be banned for this

EDIT: we decided not to ban you. instead your post should serve as a bad example for behavior. If all users acted like you, there won't be any open source project.

@xhbl sorry for spamming your thread. let us know if you want those 3 posts garbage binned.
(2014-06-27, 11:58)FernetMenta Wrote: If all users acted like you, there won't be any open source project.
I find more and more "users" being arrogant and aggressive when XBMC is not working to their liking.
They don't understand a thing about the open-source philosophy, have themselves mostly 0 development skills and do not want to go thru the hassle of learning how to compile their own XBMC, with the patches they want.

They just behave like XBMC is a commercial product, and complain like we were Wall Mart or Target.

I don't know if that will lead to the end of FLOSS project like XBMC, but that will very probably lead to the end of the involvment of devs in the user forums Wink
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Project] Dual Audio Output support (Nexus/Matrix/Krypton/Jarvis/Isengard/Helix/...)9