Most of the time Subtitles are Not Available
I'm using Kodi on OSMC and I've added opensubtitles.org
A lot of the time I get "subtitles not available". I seem to be getting a slightly better hit rate for TV vs Movies. Here is the log file:
ilepaxuhew.kodi (paste)

Even though I have the setting to store the subtitles in the same folder as the video, when I look in the folder for the ones that *do* work, there is no subtitle file.
All the videos are on a directory on the network that is shared, and mounted in OSMC.

TV
Subtitles available:
  • Fargo
  • Billions

Subtitles not available:
  • Chimerica
  • Better Call Saul
  • Black Mirror

Movies
Subtitles available
  • The Vast of Night
Subtitles not available:
  • Blade Runner 2049
  • We Need to Talk About Kevin
  • Upgrade
  • Straight Outa Compton
  • Steve Jobs
I've looked in the log and the only mention of opensubtitles is:
CAddonMgr::FindAddons: service.subtitles.opensubtitles v5.1.2 installed

For one of the movies, Kodi found the SRT file in subdirectory - it was already there, and not downloaded from opensubtitles by Kodi.

Is there any way I can turn on more logging for opensubstitles? i.e. to see how Kodi is interacting with it and where it is failing?
Is there another log file I should be looking at?
I can't see where the "Subtitles not available" message that is displayed on the screen is reflected in the current log file.

Is there a thread where all of this is already answered?
ok, I've enabled debug logging and recreated the log:
https://paste.kodi.tv/juqalecazo.kodi

The log covers 2 TV shows:
Better Call Saul - subtitles not available
Fargo - subtitles showing
Where the subtitles are showing, from looking at the log, I think it is extracting them from the video file, not using opensubtitles.

I'm still struggling to find much information in the log relating to opensubtitles. I do see the following, but no indication of success/failure or of output:
2021-10-14 08:44:28.619 T:2812    DEBUG <general>: ScanForExternalSubtitles: Searching for subtitles...
2021-10-14 08:44:28.639 T:2613    DEBUG <general>: ------ Window Init (DialogBusy.xml) ------
2021-10-14 08:44:28.854 T:2812    DEBUG <general>: ScanForExternalSubtitles: END (total time: 235 ms)

The video folder is on a Windows network share. I've tested logging into the network share from another Windows laptop, using the Kodi user credentials. I am able to do this and I can create a file.

Should I enable any Component Specific logging? From the choices available, it isn't obvious if any of them relate to opensubtitles
Are you sure opensubtitles.org actually has the subtitles you want?
A quick search on opensubtitles:
It has English subs for Better Call Saul, Fargo, Blade Runner 2049
(2021-10-14, 10:16)subsviewer Wrote: Better Call Saul - subtitles not available

The backend & frontend of Opensubtitles is out of service for a some time every day, for maintainance/backups/etc.
Can it be that you just picked the wrong time to get your subtitles?
I've tried it in the monring and in the evening, at different times in the evening, over a few days.
It would be good to better understand the log and how I can get all the opensubtitles activities logged i.e. how to see success/failure of login, how to see success/failure of finding, downloading, saving subtitles etc
ok. I think maybe I'm being stupid. I've brought up a menu when I'm playing the video which has a subtitles icon. Using that, I then have an option to "Browse for subtitle" (on the network) or "Download subtitle", which allows me to download subs from opensubtitles. (I haven't seen this option when I'm just browsing though the TV or Movie entries - I actually have to start the video in order to access the subtitle window)

However, in the Player Settings, I have enabled "Auto download first subtitle", so I assumed this meant that Kodi would go off to opensubtitles when I start a video and automatically download subs, without me having to do anything other than turn subs on or off when the video is running.

So I can download subs from opensubtitles, but I assumed it would be a bit more automated than it is. Have I misunderstood how it works?
As I understand it, 'auto download first subtitle' means if you trigger 'Download Subtitles' it will just go get the first without any further intervention.  It won't automatically trigger the download though.  There is an addon to do so - AutoSubs - https://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:AutoSubs - if you want this to happen. 
(Or of course many media managers and external programs can do this on your library in the background, e.g. TinyMediaManager, Bazarrr etc).

With the state/quality of subs, though, auto-getting the first one is probably not a great idea - better to manually select the best match, in my experience.

You might also want to explore subtitle sync options (i.e. moving the subs forward/back in time to line up with your version of a particular show/movie - as e.g. sometimes you might have a bluray version, but the subs come from a DVD and are not quite aligned due to slight changes in the intro length or whatever...)
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
(2021-10-13, 16:32)subsviewer Wrote: I've looked in the log and the only mention of opensubtitles is:
CAddonMgr::FindAddons: service.subtitles.opensubtitles v5.1.2 installed

For one of the movies, Kodi found the SRT file in subdirectory - it was already there, and not downloaded from opensubtitles by Kodi.

Is there any way I can turn on more logging for opensubstitles? i.e. to see how Kodi is interacting with it and where it is failing?
Is there another log file I should be looking at?
I can't see where the "Subtitles not available" message that is displayed on the screen is reflected in the current log file.

Is there a thread where all of this is already answered?

Hi,

my understanding of how the Opensubtitles.org addon works, there are kodi option you can also use so following isn't exculsive.

Have you created a free account at OpenSubtitles.org and entered your username & password into the addon?

If sub isn't found this depend on syntax you have in title Better Call Saul >> s01e01 etc. (relational DB term is concatenation Better Call Saul+s01e01) go to site and check 4790 Better Call Saul subs available

The subtitle you have should have same title as movie, episode - addon will find these automatically, you can toggle through these first up is based on language Eng - English etc.

The addon also gives you 2 options

Browse:- videodb://movies/titles or tv-series to manually select locally stored if not found

Download:- will take you to Opensubtitles.org and present you with a list and you also have option to manually search Opensubtitles.org

I just did this one

(2021-10-14, 23:09)bossanova808 Wrote: As I understand it, 'auto download first subtitle' means if you trigger 'Download Subtitles' it will just go get the first without any further intervention.  It won't automatically trigger the download though.  There is an addon to do so - AutoSubs - https://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:AutoSubs - if you want this to happen. 
(Or of course many media managers and external programs can do this on your library in the background, e.g. TinyMediaManager, Bazarrr etc).

With the state/quality of subs, though, auto-getting the first one is probably not a great idea - better to manually select the best match, in my experience.

You might also want to explore subtitle sync options (i.e. moving the subs forward/back in time to line up with your version of a particular show/movie - as e.g. sometimes you might have a bluray version, but the subs come from a DVD and are not quite aligned due to slight changes in the intro length or whatever...)
Thanks - there's a few things for me to explore there.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Most of the time Subtitles are Not Available0