Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
I'm looking at a new XBMC PC (a refurbished HP) because my old one died. It runs Win 7 64 bit and from the posts I have read, XBMC will work on it (the posts seemed vague). My question is, is this a good idea or should I just stay safe with a 32 bit version? I figured that since I'm starting over, does it make sense to move to 64 bits.

My media files are currently on an internal Sata hard drive, but I have in in a case and thought I would just run it thru a USB for now. The PC is mainly only used for XBMC and Mozilla. The other main components will be a Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz processor and 4GB of Ram.

Just trying to avoid any (major) problems on my new build. I'm not a gamer but do want full web access and Netflix.

Thanks!
If you have 4 GB RAM or more, go 64. XBMC will be fine.
There is very little reason to stay with an x86 operating system if your hardware supports x64. XBMC will work on either, as will all modern applications. 4GB is more than enough, I run Windows 8 on a machine with 2GB of RAM.
Please read the online manual (wiki) & FAQ (wiki) before posting.

Skins: Estuary | Xperience1080
Opinion: Never purchase HTC products
Thanks! Just the input I was looking for.

This is the PC I'm looking at:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...83-280-103

And I already have this video card from my other unit:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...3SD1AH9225

If anyone has any input...
Definitely go 64 Bit, no reason not to. Specs on that PC are plenty and the video card indicates that it can handle Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master audio formats (over HDMI of course). If you are happy with the tower size and refurb status, go for it.

Too bad your video card didn't have a half-height back-plate or I'd suggest you could take a look at the refurbed small form factor HP they have for slightly less money and similar specs (except for a bigger hard drive). It's smaller so it would be less intrusive and possibly easier to hide.
HP Stream Mini w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> Toshiba 37"
Intel NUC8i3BEH w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> LG OLED55C3PUA -> S/PDIF -> Sony HT-CT80
Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> Yamaha RX-V467 -> HDMI -> Toshiba 47L7200U
Thanks for the advice. I’m actually ok with the size of this one. My set up hides it pretty well when I lay the PC on its side and I put my center channel speaker on top of it. I’m thinking at some point I will want to install the hard drive internally.
You're good to go in that case, the hardware you've chosen will be a good build for your HTPC.
Please read the online manual (wiki) & FAQ (wiki) before posting.

Skins: Estuary | Xperience1080
Opinion: Never purchase HTC products
(2014-04-19, 16:10)Jogee Wrote: Definitely go 64 Bit, no reason not to. Specs on that PC are plenty and the video card indicates that it can handle Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master audio formats (over HDMI of course). If you are happy with the tower size and refurb status, go for it.

Too bad your video card didn't have a half-height back-plate or I'd suggest you could take a look at the refurbed small form factor HP they have for slightly less money and similar specs (except for a bigger hard drive). It's smaller so it would be less intrusive and possibly easier to hide.

Looking closer, I like the HP you picked. If I thought I could get my hard drive in there with the existing one, then it would be worth it to get a new video card...
(2014-04-19, 13:48)Breakerfall Wrote: Thanks! Just the input I was looking for.

This is the PC I'm looking at:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...83-280-103

And I already have this video card from my other unit:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...3SD1AH9225

If anyone has any input...
This combination should be able to handle XBMC with ease....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows 7 Professional 64 bit0