Audio: Analog is fine, selecting HDMI causes video issues
I recently connected my surround system and htpc running frodo to my new tv. I am using the hdmi output on my htpc. In XBMC, when I select anything other than analog for audio output, video playback is choppy and stutters. Video playback is smooth when analog audio is selected but then I don't have 5.1 DD or DTS. Is this issue due to an older motherboard? Am I doing something wrong. Any help is appreciated.
Connect the surround system directly to your PC. Your tv might not support forwarding of bitstream audio.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
The recommended way to connect is
HTPC --- AVR --- TV
You can find ideas and XBMC audio configurations in this thread- Simplify XBMC configurations......

If you are still having issue, you might want to provide debug log....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
I see you only mention 5.1 DD (AC3) and DTS - thus I deduce that your AVR does not have HDMI Input, only Optical/coaxial toslink? If this case - Do HDMI to TV, Optical/coaxial toslink straight to amplifier. Select "Digital Out", "Optical out" or any similar.

The absolute majority of TVs do not, as fritsch here suggest - support bitstream passthrough (Violation of HDCP standards and licence). Forcing anything other than 2ch PCM (analog) through the connection in this case, would most likely result in either the exact behavior you describe, or a gruesome audio static noise. I have thoroughly experienced both, caused by the described scenario.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge - please click the plus to the left below to give thanks
My HTPC did not have optical out so I installed a cheap 7.1 sound card with optical out connected to my AVR. I switched audio in XBMC from analog to optical and I now have DTS and DD working with smooth video playback.

Thanks everyone.
This was my solution too. I've got an Intel NUC, so no SPDIF (optical). Got a cheap C-media CM106 based soundcard off DealExtreme with multichannel analog and SPDIF optical output, which goes straight to the AVR.

Glad it worked for you too Smile Its a small investment, to let a good AVR live (here) a few more years. (On a side note; while the frequency is a bit limited - with the analog outputs, you could let software decode HD audio... Wink)
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge - please click the plus to the left below to give thanks

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Audio: Analog is fine, selecting HDMI causes video issues0