• 3(current)
Cost of Backing up Media
Quote:If something goes wrong, I'll just require it from the same place I got it from.

lol, pretty much

But depending on how media you lose, that could take weeks to "get back"
(2014-04-21, 06:34)LazerBlue Wrote:
(2014-04-21, 04:43)bluray Wrote:
(2014-04-21, 02:41)pr0xZen Wrote: Oh, but what about polycarbonate mites and termites?
No termites here, because my house is very well treated and there is no natural disaster here either. I feel very confident that my Blu-ray movies are very safe by storing it at two locations (original disc and hard drive)....

Unless, god forbid I hope it never happens to anyone, a fire..
That is what home insurance for. Since I bought it from stores, I have proof of it. In case of fire or disaster, I'll get new Blu-ray discs. If my house is on fire, gadget is the last thing I worry about. For me, it is the least important thing in the house....

(2014-04-21, 06:34)LazerBlue Wrote: Even though I have the media, I do not want to spend that time reencoding my movies. It took 3 weeks when I was unemployed the first time around and that was over 3 years ago.
You don't have to re-rip all of it at the same time. I don't ripped everything either. I ripped only our favorite movies. If we want to re-watch other movies, we can simply throw a Blu-ray disc in the optical drive. We don't re-watch Blu-ray disc very often either.....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
I use an unraid array for my backup. Online content is kept in a Synology NAS. Oh, and I just added the f*** head to my ignore list. I try to be tolerant of the ignorant, but sometimes ...
(2014-04-21, 17:07)TugboatBill Wrote: I use an unraid array for my backup. Online content is kept in a Synology NAS. Oh, and I just added the f*** head to my ignore list. I try to be tolerant of the ignorant, but sometimes ...

But sometimes, what? You're a fuck head too?
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

Reported.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
@jammyb - take this as you will - but please, be aware of how your use of language is viewed by others, and be sensitive to that. Personally, I genuinely don't care, and my day-to-day speech is as colourful as it comes, but it's not a vernacular that really gets many fans around here, however you feel about that.

Forum_rules (wiki)
To get back on-topic, for those that backup their films and TV shows (not the ones you rip from tangible Blurays or DVD, I'm talking about the ones you get elsewhere *hint hint*), don't you find that the cost of having all of that media backup up far exceeds the advantages of having that backup.

In other words, say you have 10TB of films and TV shows that you've acquired online *hint hint*. And you keep all of that content backup up (whether that's having each drive mirrored or simply working out a RAID array that gives you however much fault tolerance you'd like), don't you find that between the amount of money you spend to power, maintain and purchase those backup drives for your media, you don't really encounter a loss of data often enough to make the whole process worthy of your money and space (considering you can theoretically just re-download everything, no matter how long it would take, provided you have an unlimited data plan)?

I'm in that boat and that's the only motive keeping me from backing up any of this media. Plain and simple, because it can be re-downloaded. It would sure be a pain to have to re-acquire 10TB or more of data, but I'd much rather do that than spend 10TBs worth of drives to backup media IN CASE is goes bad, since it's located on the web anyways.

What are your thoughts on that? It's something that is on my mind more and more now that my media collection of films and TV shows is rapidly growing.
(2014-04-21, 00:30)nickr Wrote: Having said that, it's only movies.

This is my new moto. I had all my data on 2 mediasonic 8 bay drive enclosures in Raid 50 and had a spare enclosure for just in case the controller went.
I've busted it all apart moved data around and just run 3 4bay USB enclosures and all individual drives in a Greyhole pool.
Sold all the other drives and all 3 of the Mediasonic boxes.

All my important stuff is on a separate usb drive and also backed up on Cloud storage. Movies aren't what I consider important to spend that much money on again for redundancy.
Intel I3-4130 | Asus H81T/CSM | 8GB DDR3 | 120GB Crucial M4| KODI 14.1
SilverStone Milo ML06
(2014-04-21, 22:54)Solidify Wrote: To get back on-topic, for those that backup their films and TV shows (not the ones you rip from tangible Blurays or DVD, I'm talking about the ones you get elsewhere *hint hint*), don't you find that the cost of having all of that media backup up far exceeds the advantages of having that backup.

In other words, say you have 10TB of films and TV shows that you've acquired online *hint hint*. And you keep all of that content backup up (whether that's having each drive mirrored or simply working out a RAID array that gives you however much fault tolerance you'd like), don't you find that between the amount of money you spend to power, maintain and purchase those backup drives for your media, you don't really encounter a loss of data often enough to make the whole process worthy of your money and space (considering you can theoretically just re-download everything, no matter how long it would take, provided you have an unlimited data plan)?

I'm in that boat and that's the only motive keeping me from backing up any of this media. Plain and simple, because it can be re-downloaded. It would sure be a pain to have to re-acquire 10TB or more of data, but I'd much rather do that than spend 10TBs worth of drives to backup media IN CASE is goes bad, since it's located on the web anyways.

What are your thoughts on that? It's something that is on my mind more and more now that my media collection of films and TV shows is rapidly growing.
That is a very relevant point. TPB is your backup :-)

Having said that, I have downloaded some quite obscure historical/old TV stuff that was never released on DVD/Bluray and was hard to find online. Finding it again would be somewhere between difficult and impossible. That stuff I don't want to lose.

But if you were into downloading current or recent Tv/Movies, you are right.

Actually one of the hardest things when I lost a hard drive a year or so back was remebering what the hell I had on it! I actually went through my library and tried to play everything. When it said it was "unavailable, do you want to remove" I wrote it down and made a note to re-rip it. Very tedious though.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-04-21, 22:54)Solidify Wrote: To get back on-topic, for those that backup their films and TV shows (not the ones you rip from tangible Blurays or DVD, I'm talking about the ones you get elsewhere *hint hint*), don't you find that the cost of having all of that media backup up far exceeds the advantages of having that backup.

It's a personal choice. Sometimes content is no longer available from *hint hint*, one may not have the $$s to buy the equipment, or you're a watch once and never again type.

I can watch a movie I've seen a dozen times before and still enjoy it (if it's the right movie). I do have some movies/shows I watched once and will never again. They'll be deleted once I fill available space and need some room.
At the end of the day it's only movies. With personal documents and pictures i backup with dropbox and portable external drives.

With digital media, i won't say i have a backup. Well, the only backup i have is the parity drive on unRAID server. I have had drives died a few times and all i did was replace the drive and started a data-rebuild in unRAID. A few hours later after data rebuild was complete, i had all my movies back on the new drive.
In case i do lose data and parity/data rebuild could not fix this, i can either re-rip or redownload.
(2014-04-21, 23:12)nickr Wrote: When it said it was "unavailable, do you want to remove" I wrote it down and made a note to re-rip it.

Although you addressed my point, the above comment doesn't deal with online download. It's easy, but tiresome, to re-rip from hard copies.
Don't you have films and TV shows that you don't have on hard copies? Media that you've downloaded online? If so, do you back that up? If so, how...
That's what I'm interested in seeing.

Edit: tboggie, I like you unRAId idea: one parity drive covers all the drives, as long as you keep replacing that failed drive if and when it fails. However, try to understand that I don't have any tangible copies. Every byte of media I have has been downloaded online and is digitally stored. That\s why I'm trying to see what the general consensus is for users that have that same downloading habit, before my media library gets too big and I lose a big chunk of it.
Without delving too deeply into the *hint hint* the problem of acquiring it from there is that before usenet was as popular as it is today. Content on it just doesn't last any more. If you haven't got your couchpotatoes constantly peeling the spuds and if your connection isn't the fastest. It becomes a struggle to complete items whereas a few years back. It was superb.

And torrents? What a load of rubbish they've become. Sure, handy on dial up and slow connections and you get more search results on rarer content with them. But half the time there isn't a seed to complete it!

This is a hobby. A content orientated hobby. We're all content hoarders, Instead of it taking up shelves and space and rooms in plastic cases going dusty. They now take up boxes that are a lot smaller, hold a lot more and in some cases are mobile. It was the space that it all took and sun faded covers that did it for me.

I've even contemplated absorbing the backup drives into the server and buying 4TB singular drives for backup use. That way they'd take up less space. But then it's back to 4TB is a helluva lot to lose in one hit. Regardless of how sweet USB3 is at file transfer!
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

(2014-04-21, 23:19)Solidify Wrote:
(2014-04-21, 23:12)nickr Wrote: When it said it was "unavailable, do you want to remove" I wrote it down and made a note to re-rip it.

Although you addressed my point, the above comment doesn't deal with online download. It's easy, but tiresome, to re-rip from hard copies.
Don't you have films and TV shows that you don't have on hard copies? Media that you've downloaded online? If so, do you back that up? If so, how...
That's what I'm interested in seeing.

Edit: tboggie, I like you unRAId idea: one parity drive covers all the drives, as long as you keep replacing that failed drive if and when it fails. However, try to understand that I don't have any tangible copies. Every byte of media I have has been downloaded online and is digitally stored. That\s why I'm trying to see what the general consensus is for users that have that same downloading habit, before my media library gets too big and I lose a big chunk of it.
When I say "re-rip", I might have *hint hint* meant "reobtain"

This is why I recommended UNRAID. Because for the majority of users here, the cost of doing a mirror backup will be to the point where they will say "I'd rather just not do it". The average person on here isn't going to afford mirror back up. It's much simpler for them to simply us UNRAID and have a fault tolerance of 1 drive.

The average user is adding hard drives as needed, is BARELY spinning the hard drives anyway (you aren't running a server you're watching movies/TV shows every now and then. The chances you'll have 2 drives fail at once is very very low and you still can "reobtain" that data as well.

So my pick is UNRAID in terms of data protection. It's not a backup exactly, but hard drives rarely fail. I haven't had a single one fail. The average user isn't going to have more than 1-2 fail over their life time. You should protect against what is most likely to occur. A Nuclear holocaust could occur yet we don't all have bunkers. But a robber could rob your house so we lock the door. No need to go all out if you dont' feel it's worth it and get a mirror back up. But you should stil probably use something like UNRaid to protect against 1 drive dying.

I also periodically readd my content. I'll look for updated versions of everything anyway. Losing my data isn't even as bad really to me. I need to know WHAT I lost. That's the issue for me.

I can see people wanting a mirror backup though. Months after I moved out from college, our house there had the spirnkler system go offf. I would have lost everything if I still lived there so I definitely see how people would want a backup.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cost of Backing up Media0