"Machine Check Error" + reboot loop
Hardware: Intel NUC D54250WYK3 Core i5 4250U
RAM: 8GB
HD: Crucial M550 128GB mSATA Internal SSD
BIOS firmware: The latest available
Skin used: Aeon Nox
OpenElec version: OpenELEC Stable - Intel x86_64 3.2.4

I have OpenElec installed & running fine. Am dual booting between Windows 7 and OpenElec. Booting into Windows works fine as does shutting down.

I have 2 issues.

1. The first problem comes when I shut down the unit using the shutdown option from within XBMC. If I do this, the system shuts down then immediately restarts and gets stuck in a boot loop with the error message of "Machine Check Error" shown in the upper left of the screen. The only way to resolve this issue is to hard power off the unit and leave it switched off for 30 seconds to 1 minute before powering it back up. As best as I can tell, it seems to be tied to the way that OpenElec sends the shutdown command to the system BIOS, almost like the shutdown process doesn't do it cleanly and is almost more of a dirty restart than a shutdown. When I shutdown within Windows on the same machine, this problems doesn't exist. I'm happy to bug test this to provide you with any additional info you need if you give me some instructions on what you need me to do.

To get around this issue, I figured I could just suspend it instead. That however leads to problem number 2...

2. Putting the NUC into suspend from the XBMC menu will suspend the machine but it then immediately comes out of suspend. I have disabled Wake on LAN in the BIOS. This has no effect on this problem. There is an option in the BIOS which catches the machine when it goes into suspend which brings it out of suspend then hibernates it to the SSD. I don't see the point of this at all but there is no option to turn it off, only choose "immediately" or options ranging up to 2 hours. The trouble is that when it brings the unit out of standby to then hibernate it, it just wakes the NUC up again and OpenElec will just sit there, thereby never suspending.

Has anyone else had this problem? I'd like to point the finger at the BIOS but if Windows manages to shutdown cleanly, it appears on the surface to be either an OpenElec issue or and XBMC issue.

Thanks for any pointers anyone has.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Machine Check Error" + reboot loop0