Playon/UPNP Generic Agent?
According to this thread over on playon.tv,

https://www.playon.tv/forum/media-devices/xbmc/xbmc-hd

XBMC cannot receive HD streams from a Playon server because of how it identifies itself to Playon over a network. If XBMC is on the same machine as the Playon server, Playon will serve it HD content.

Quote:When it is installed on the same PC as PlayOn, XBMC identifies itself as XBMC. When XBMC accesses PlayOn over a network, the user-agent is different; it's changed to a completely generic UPnP user-agent that many other devices and software use.

Is there any truth to this statement? Can/will it be addressed if so?
They're saying they refuse to allow people to send HD content to anything identifying itself as a generic UPnP device. They'll whitelist XBMC when XBMC identifies as XBMC. I'm guessing that is something that can be fixed, but the fact that they require a specific whitelist for HD content seems pretty stupid to me.
Ned,

yes, i agree, it seems odd. but the point they were stressing was how XBMC identified itself over the network, as opposed to being on the same machine that PlayOn is installed on.

thanks for the reply.
One more question: should I submit this as a feature request? Bug? Is it already in the works?
I guess it wouldn't hurt to list it on the bug tracker ( http://trac.xbmc.org ). I'm not a dev myself, but I'm fairly familiar with the UPnP features, but I'm honestly not sure if something like that is intentional or not. It's probably just an oversight, so a bug report would be good to fill out so that it gets attention.
Is this an issue with Gotham? I might be missing something - but on Gotham beta3 and 4 -> I don't see any indication to XBMC identifying itself as generic upnp device over network. Not in Windows (8.1) properties on a different computer on network, for both the "upnp server" and "upnp renderer" , and not my android tablet.
Here is a log from BubbleUPnP running on my android tablet - see line 253 ->
http://pastebin.com/D16Gh0Au
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge - please click the plus to the left below to give thanks
pr0xZen, line 253, isnt XBMC announcing itself as a UPnP server? i believe the issue is when XBMC announces itself as a UPnP CLIENT. Would that be line ~276?
Correct - this and additional lines.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge - please click the plus to the left below to give thanks
pr0xZen, would you mind if i quoted your pastebin over onto the playon.tv thread about this topic? (i'm "shredness" over there)
hellohello. Kudos to you for getting the xmbc folks to look at.

If I can get HD netflix on Openelec, I will be ecstatic.

Thanks.
(2014-04-24, 20:52)hellohello Wrote: pr0xZen, would you mind if i quoted your pastebin over onto the playon.tv thread about this topic? (i'm "shredness" over there)

By all means. I've updated the post with another pastebin link, please use this one. I've just edited out any identifying usernames etc, I believe lines etc - should be the same. XBMC version on the UPnP Server & rendrer was XBMC 20140322-745067f-Gotham Nightly (Beta3). I had no problem streaming HD contents from BubbleUPnP (android tablet) to the XBMC renderer (Win8.1pro).

EDIT: Btw, anyone know if user agent spoofing is still possible and working? http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...#pid901488
thanks pr0xZen. i wonder if the problem isnt how XBMC is "talking" over the network in as much how PlayOn is "listening" to network connections.
Yeah - unless I'm missing something in the logs and my setup - the issue here is in the PlayOn end, and my impression is that their "explanation" (atleast from they way they put it) is "bullshit".
ok, now i feel like i'm a pest. is there any way we can get a developer to confirm?

http://www.playon.tv/forum/media-devices...ment-39407

does XBMC "sometimes" annouce itself as "UPnP/1.0 DLNADOC/1.50" ?

EDIT: well, holy crap. i dont know if they're right or not. but, first time mind you, i did a network capture (wireshark) between my remote xbmc box and the playon server. there are a stream of packets with "UPnP/1.0 DLNADOC/1.50 Plantinum/0.6.9.1" but only a scant few that contain a full xml breakdown with references to "manufacturer" & "Team XBMC" as evidenced in pr0xZen's log.
UPDATE: pr0xZen, you gave me an idea, and this might be of interest to ozkhan1.

i looked into the BubbleUPNP server piece. i installed on my Playon machine and set up it as a proxy DLNA server.
all of a sudden Netflix came in at HD on my remote machine!

will play with this a bit more.

UPDATE #2: Confirmed that this works. Checking the "Create a proxy Media Server on this LAN" option for the Playon server in BubbleUPNP will enable HD content on Amazon VOD, HULU and Netflix!

UPDATE #3: ARRRGH. Multiple clients cannot be used at the same, even if the content provider is different. There is a known limitation that Playon can't serve Netflix to 2 devices a the same time but you could stream Hulu to one device and Netflix on the other. Setting Playon as a proxy breaks this (which makes sense, of course). Back to the drawing board.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Playon/UPNP Generic Agent?0