Which Installation ISO?
Hello,

I apologise for asking this question, as I'm sure many have asked it before; however I have not been able to locate an answer specific, or similar to my computer. I'll get straight into it. Smile

I'm going to use an old machine as a HTPC, which has the following specifications:

ASRock P4i45GV R5.0 (socket 478)
Intel Pentium 4 3.06GHz with Hyper Threading
2GB DDR RAM
Nvidia GeForce 6800 with 128MB VRAM

I'm going to install XBMCBuntu, however I'm not too sure which version to install. Do I use xbmcbuntu-12.2.Intel-AMD.2.iso or xbmcbuntu-12.2.Intel-NVIDIA.iso? My motherboard does not have a Nvidia chipset, however I do have a Nvidia graphics card installed, so will there be more benefits of using the Nvidia version, so shall I just use the Intel-AMD version?

Thank you very much, I appreciate your assistance. Smile
Based on graphics card. So nvidia.

But you may prefer the beta if the next version.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?pid...pid1656181
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Thank you very much for your response and assistance! I do sincerely appreciate it, thank you again.

If it was not for your response, I would have installed the Intel-AMD variant. In addition, I'd love to try the latest version of XBMC, however I'm not too sure if the latest version is stable or not, as it's in beta 4 if I recall correctly. I just want a stable system where I can begin watching videos, and is easy to use by most of my family. Smile

I've not really researched much into v13 of XBMC though. Thank you for your auggestion, I'll take a look at it.

Kindest regards, and thank you ever so muh again. Your assistance has been great! Big Grin
xbmcbuntu beta works pretty well by all accounts. And Gotham (13) is so much better then frodo (12).
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
if you use v13beta, make sure to use the i386 version.
Great to hear v13 is stable enough, and I would love to use it. However considering my old processor is 32-bit based, I was thinking it wouldn't work. Thank you again for your response, I do appreciate it.

Also thank you to wsnipex, I appreciate your assistance. I was thinking would I get better performance using v12 with 32-bit/x86, or by using v13 on i386? As the latter is an elder processor type if I remember correctly. I do apologise for asking so many questions, and I do sincerely appreciate your time to reply and assisrance. Smile

Thank you very much! Big Grin
hmm, according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_PureVideo your GFX card doesn't support vdpau. That means you won't have hardware video decoding. Together with your ancient CPU, you can probably forget HD video.

I'd say test it out by booting in the live system. And try v13 beta first.
Ahh! No problem, thank you very much for looking into this for me, I do sincerely appreciate your effort, and I do hope that phrase hasn't become cliche, I do appreciate your support. Thank you!

I'll try installing the v13 i386 first and hopefully it works fine. I don't really need 1080p HD, but if I could get 720 that would be great IMO. I was able to play many 720p videos using Windows Media Player and YouTube (using Adobe Flash) while under Windows 7 on that machine. Hopefully it works with XBMCBuntu as well.

I'd upgrade my system, but my motherboard does not accept a better CPU, GPU or anymore RAM. The computer is "maxed out." If I want to upgrade, I'd need another motherboard, whereas I could just purchase one of those mini-Android PC's, which seem to handle full HD no problem. I was only going to use this machine as a HTPC, as it's on my desk with a massive CRT monitor which is never used. So saving me money and desk space instead of purchasing anything else other than a MCE remote (I will be hooking it up to the tv.) Smile

Anyhow, thank you again for your support, it has cleared a lot for me, and I hope it helps others too. Thank you very much again! Big Grin
You could get a pci nvidia graphics card that supports vdpau, they do exist.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which Installation ISO?0