Most secure way to connect to nas threw XBMC?
Hello
XBMC supports a great deal of different way to get hold of files, say on a NAS. Now. I use XBMC for all media to all family members. The most frequent users ar my children that uses XBMC on their laptops. Now. I want them to be able to access media on my NAS when they aren't on my local network. Of cource this means opening up my network to the public and that always introduces security issues. But what is the best way to do this given the protocols (SAMBA, NFS, WebDAV etc) that Xbmc supports?

Considering the tradeof between overhead/speed and security in any given protocol, whats the best solution?
What I did was setup a xbmc on there own computer in the family room but I set up the folders kidsmovies and that all that xbmc see where the one in the lounge see all the movie folders
VPN?
xterm: if security is of importance, use openvpn or at least ssh/sftp
Honestly unless your trans-coding, streaming raw videos over the internet is hard to do bandwidth wise let alone putting VPN on top. I would look for anther solution for this like syncing. Plus do you really want the kids watching movies in class?? lol
I have wanted to do this but well, bandwidth as someone said. Realized that if someone tried to watch a BluRay movie on their phone/over 4G it probably just wouldn't work. Even with Transcoding, 1-2GBs would eat most of my data limit.

When we get unlimited, no throttling phone internet then I'll definitely do it though.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Most secure way to connect to nas threw XBMC?0