Solved XBMC not reading ReplayGain tags
Hey folks,

ReplayGain is somehow not working. I wrote the ReplayGain tags for my mp3-files using the plugin for beets. My Tag Editor shows me the calculated tags after that process. It sets the tag "REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN" to a value of e.g. "-5.23 dB". When turning on replay gain support based on per-title-gain, XBMC seems to ignore these tags. I checked with a non-replaygained copy of the same file, but XBMC plays both at the same volume. Am I missing something?

Cheers!

EDIT: An upgrade to Gotham solved the issue.
XBMC reads them fine. However, there's very little in the way of true standards for these things, so sometimes what's in your mp3 file isn't necessarily read by every implementation.

Post an example mp3 and someone else could take a look.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

There you go: testfiles

I created 3 test files, the first one (test - no replaygain) is the original file. The second one (test - replaygain from beets) is the one where I had the replaygain information from the plugin for beets (beets.radbox.org - version 1.3.1), and the 3rd one is the one where replaygain has bee set using mp3gain ("mp3gain -a $file").

When opening all 3 files with kid3, only the beets-version shows "proper" replaygain tags. The mp3gain-version does not have any tags set, it actually applies the gain to the audio itself (according to the manual).

So what I end up with is that only the mp3gain-version is played with the proper gain through xbmc. The "REPLAYGAIN_…" tags are obviously ignored by xbmc. I have the playback option for supporting replaygained files in XBMC turned on ("Use track levels").

Thanks!
I now tried the same files in clementine audio player (which should support replaygain), and it doesn't recognize the RG-tags either. So it's apparently a problem of beets writing the tags.
Tested files. Worked as expected, with gain of 2.85 dB being applied as per the tag in the file. This is with the replaygain mode set to "Track".

i.e. the replaygain from beets version played at the same level as the replaygain by mp3gain, both louder than the no replaygain track.

During playback the replaygain amount is shown in the Debug Log.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

What version of XBMC are you using? What is your player for mp3-files (DVDPlayer or PAPlayer)? When using PAPlayer, the RG tags are not shown in the debug-log, when using DVDPlayer, they are shown, but not applied.

When opening with PAPlayer I get:

"DEBUG: AudioDecoder::GetReplayGain - Final Replaygain applied: 1.000000, Track/Album Gain 89.000000, Peak 0.000000"

which is wrong (RG should be +2.85 dB), using DVDPlayer, I get

"INFO: ffmpeg[895F4700]: REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN: 2.85 dB"

but it doesn't apply the volume. Only the hard-coded RG-info from mp3gain does the job.
Gotham, everything set to default, all I did is altered the replaygain setting to track (it defaults to album).

thank you, I'm still on Frodo, going to switch to gotham and try again. thanks!
Upgraded to gotham, working now. But where do you configure RG in v13? It seems to be working out of the box.
Settings->Music. Note the settings level in the bottom left.

Thanks jmarshall, I found the settings for RG, now everything is working as expected.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC not reading ReplayGain tags0