No video or audio Output on HDMI (Nvidia)
Hi

I have an issue that I have been all over with with little success (am am fairly new in the world of Linux, so please excuse any ignorance):

I am running a
HP Proliant N54L
Nvidia GeForce 210
XMBCbuntu latest Gotham release

My issue is that I do not get any video when I am plugged in on the HDMI cable.

I first tried the system on OpenElec (system is too light for what I want, but decided to play around). I had the same issue, but I managed to get some resolution when changing and updating the Xorg.conf file. This allowed for video to go through HDMI, when I set the Xorg file to use the HDMI channel as the preferred output method (sorry can't remember how I did it, this was as per one of many how-to guides I went through)

It looked like the EDID file was setup wrong, cause the video displayed only 800x600, and I had no sound. I then decided to go for a full SUSE installation, just to see what the system does. No luck there with default settings, or after installing the Nvidia drivers the hard way.

Now I am on XMBCbuntu, I like the system so far and this is what I need, but I have the same problem. It also looks like the system no longer uses the Xorg files.

I suspect my TV does not output the EDID info in a way that is easy to pick up, but I know that the HDMI is fine (we can output to it via a Windows machine), and I know that the HDMI on the machine works, as I have managed to get some output out of it.

Any advise? What are my next steps?
Something's definitely up with your TV, you're probably the only one on the forums who has had a problem with Nvidia cards on Linux. Have you looked at the "hardcoding EDID in xorg.conf" from Openelec's wiki? I know I had to do that trick on one setup to get anything other than a black picture at startup.
For OpenELEC, try that:

put that to /storage/.config/xorg.conf
create the directory /storage/.config/edid
and download that file (make sure it's really 256 Byte) to /storage/.config/edid.bin https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55728161/edid.bin
Code:
Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Layout0"
    Screen      0  "Screen0"
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "auto"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "kbd"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    ModelName      "Unknown"
    # 23.976 and 24.0 refresh rates
    ModeLine       "1920x1080_24" 74.250 1920 2558 2602 2750 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync
    ModeLine       "1920x1080_23.976" 74.175 1920 2558 2602 2750 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync
    Option         "DPMS"
    Option         "DPI" "96 x 96"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "ColorRange" "FULL" # Set to Limited if all is too dark
    Option         "ColorSpace" "RGB"
    Option         "DynamicTwinView" "false"
    Option         "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "True"
    # this is the second step
    # check /var/log/Xorg.0.0.log to see if your nvidia is realy DFP-1
    # could also be DFP-0 or something else
    # make sure your TV can do 60hz
    # uncomment all the next options, adjust DFP-1 to DFP-X e.g. DFP-0 or DFP-2 if needed
    Option         "VertRefresh"  "DFP-1: 23-60"
    Option         "HorizSync"    "DFP-1: 25-100"
    Option         "ModeValidation" "DFP-1: NoVesaModes, NoXServerModes"
    Option         "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP-1"
    Option         "CustomEDID" "DFP-1:/storage/.config/edid.bin"
    Option         "UseEDID" "true"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
   Option         "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection

In that config, you might need to change DFP-1 (all locations) to DFP-0 - you will see that.

For any other linux distro the config goes to /etc/X11/xorg.conf and the edid to e.g. /etc/X11/edid.bin - you need to change the path in xorg.conf
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
@fritsch

That worked, perfectly, easily and without hassle.

Genius!

Thank you very much
Despite, that your Monitor now advertises, that it is a "Maranz NR1402" :-) - Set the topic to solved or [WORKAROUNDED]
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No video or audio Output on HDMI (Nvidia)0