Gotham Crashing on Movies Scan
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to say that I've been encountering this issue since the first version of XBMC Android and my phone / tablet, etc. I never tried to find a fix before.

I've received today my new Nvidia Shield Android TV, and installed Kodi 16, and was very upset to discover the issue was still there with the latest version.

This time, I wanted to know why these crashes happen. Everytime I try to update my library through SMB share, Kodi crashes.

I scratched my head for a while, and found a fix that works with my system (two DNS-323 NAS). I had to rename the folders where my movies are stored, removing spaces and special characters in the folder name. They were names "Films SD Français" (notice the "ç" in the folder name), and now with "FilmsSDFR" it stopped crashing.

Hope this help future users that will come accross this post. Wink
Hi. I also have Nvidia Shield (KODI 16.1) and DNS-323. Unfortunately, this solution does not work on my system. I have no special symbols or spaces in folder names.
If source have (even empty) subfolders - KODI crashing when starting library scan or even simply opening this source. No subfolders - no crash.
it is inconvenient in some cases.
As I understand it, there is no solution to this problem at this time Sad
Sorry for bad English.
It's not that there is no solution, it's that the crashing pattern could never be identified for a dev (aka me) to reproduce...
I can provide the necessary logs or dump files
If you can, please capture a logcat of the crash, please
Ok, I will try.
But my device not rooted and it is a problem. Can I capture a logcat without root?
Indeed, my solution didn't really work, I forgot to come back here to mention it.
It surely had to do with subfolders too.
I can't verify now, I didn't keep the Nvidia Shield because I couldn't get Kodi to work as it's does on my HTPC with my two NAS's. (and I didn't like the softness of the picture quality of the Shield).

Envoyé de mon SM-A510F en utilisant Tapatalk
Hi everyone,

I'm back here because I recently bought a Wetek Hub. This an android based device, and I'm trying to build a library in KODI.

I'm experiencing the same old problem: Kodi crashes each time I try to update the library.

I have some informations to add, though, since last time.

My medias are organized this way:
2 NAS (DLINK DNS-323) wich 2 HDD in each.
All 4 HDD's have a folder were I put my movies inside, with a subfolder for each one.
All 4 HDD's have a folder where I put all my TV shows, with subfolders named after the TV show, those folders hold subfolders for each season.

Movie library update crashed, but not TV Show library update. So I guess the problem has something to do with the media scrapper used for movies.

I've tried naming my folders and subfolders many different ways to guess where the problem is coming from.

I've narrowed it to this: if I create a folder with subfolders for movies, then it crashes on update. I've tried to name folders with or without special characters, it crashes anyway.
If I create a folder with files directly put in it (no subfolder), then it works.

With the folder\subfolders structure, as soon as I remove subfolders and put the movies in the parent folder, it stops crashing (I don't need to change scrapping options, Kodi finds the movies).

So the problem definitely occurs when I try to update movie library (movie scrapper), with films stocked in subfolders "m:\movies\nameofthemovie", with or without any special characters (has nothing to do with the crash).

EDIT: I've two different movie scappers, they crash both on updating.
Through the years, I've tested KODI on all my android devices (smartphones, tablets, TV boxes), with different kodi versions (even tried SPMC), it always crashed when trying to update samba shares
Hello,

I have encountered exactly the same problem, using a DNS-323 with a samba share, on the latest Kodi (16.1 GIT:2016-04-24-f6ceced) installed via the Play Store on a Sony XBR X700D TV. Kodi fails when attempting to scan movies if any sub-folders are present!

The folder structure on the share is:

Media\TV
Media\Movies

The 'TV' folder has each show in its own folder, with sub-folders for seasons etc., and scans without issue.

The 'Movies' folder contains a mix of individual movies in the root of the folder, plus some sub-folders. For example there is a 'Movies\Star Wars' folder with the Star Wars movies therein. As soon as Kodi attempts to scan the Movies folder, it quits abruptly. If I remove all sub-folders from 'Movies' and leave only individual movie files, it scans without issue.

Here is the logcat from the TV, and Kodi's log:

http://pastebin.com/GydRAiw8
http://pastebin.com/ydxvMBKP

I tested this several times, and never saw anything meaningful in Kodi's log. In the log it usually quits right after "GOT ANNOUNCEMENT, type: 16, from xbmc, message OnScanStarted" Sometimes it quits immediately after this entry in the log, and sometimes (as in the pastebin log I've provided) there are two more python-related lines in the log.

For whatever it's worth, the same samba share works without issue with Kodi on Windows, and has for years.
I've noticed that this has been fixed in Kodi v17.0 (Krypton) - great job! Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Gotham Crashing on Movies Scan5