• 10(current)
XBMC ATV2 shuts down when starting video playback
(2014-05-25, 11:40)gojensen Wrote: Gotham keep crashing, reverted to 12.3 Frodo. Just crashes occasionally (crash2frontrow/reboot) but then usually plays the file fine afterwards. Only running stock XBMC Confluence with the auto-updater script, getting files from CIFS. (Wired network).

xbmc.old.log
Code:
11:21:32 T:805019648  NOTICE: DVDPlayer: Opening: smb://server/shared/file.mkv
11:21:32 T:805019648 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(player)::Put MSGQ_NOT_INITIALIZED
11:21:32 T:197668864  NOTICE: Creating InputStream
11:21:32 T:197668864  NOTICE: Creating Demuxer
11:21:32 T:125390848  NOTICE: CDVDVideoCodecFFmpeg::Open() Using codec: H.264 / AVC / MPEG-4 AVC / MPEG-4 part 10
11:21:35 T:197668864  NOTICE: Opening video stream: 0 source: 256
11:21:35 T:197668864  NOTICE: Creating video codec with codec id: 28
11:21:35 T:197668864  NOTICE: Open - using avcC atom of size(44), ref_frames(5)
11:21:35 T:197668864  NOTICE: Creating video thread
11:21:35 T:152117248  NOTICE: running thread: video_thread
11:21:35 T:197668864  NOTICE: Opening audio stream: 1 source: 256
11:21:35 T:197668864  NOTICE: Finding audio codec for: 86019
11:21:35 T:197668864  NOTICE: Creating audio thread
11:21:35 T:160841728  NOTICE: running thread: CDVDPlayerAudio::Process()
11:21:35 T:160841728  NOTICE: Creating audio stream (codec id: 86019, channels: 2, sample rate: 48000, no pass-through)
11:21:35 T:152117248  NOTICE:  fps: 25.000000, pwidth: 1280, pheight: 720, dwidth: 1280, dheight: 720
11:21:35 T:152117248 WARNING: CRenderManager::Configure - timeout waiting for previous frame
11:21:36 T:152117248  NOTICE: Display resolution DESKTOP : 1280x720 (16)

MKVINFO:

Code:
+ EBML head
|+ EBML version: 1
|+ EBML read version: 1
|+ EBML maximum ID length: 4
|+ EBML maximum size length: 8
|+ Doc type: matroska
|+ Doc type version: 2
|+ Doc type read version: 2
+ Segment, size 1164900614
|+ Seek head (subentries will be skipped)
|+ EbmlVoid (size: 4044)
|+ Segment information
| + Timecode scale: 1000000
| + Muxing application: no_variable_data
| + Writing application: no_variable_data
| + Duration: 2834.160s (00:47:14.160)
| + Date: Thu Jan  1 00:00:00 1970 UTC
| + Segment UID: 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00
|+ Segment tracks
| + A track
|  + Track number: 1
|  + Track UID: 1
|  + Track type: video
|  + Lacing flag: 0
|  + MinCache: 1
|  + Codec ID: V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
|  + Default duration: 40.000ms (25.000 fps for a video track)
|  + Language: und
|  + Video track
|   + Pixel width: 1280
|   + Pixel height: 720
|   + Display width: 1280
|   + Display height: 720
|  + CodecPrivate, length 44 (h.264 profile: High @L4.1)
| + A track
|  + Track number: 2
|  + Track UID: 2
|  + Track type: audio
|  + Codec ID: A_AC3
|  + Default duration: 32.000ms (31.250 fps for a video track)
|  + Audio track
|   + Sampling frequency: 48000
|   + Channels: 2
|+ EbmlVoid (size: 1044)
|+ Cluster

None of that actually tells us anything. This is the info we need if people are having issues: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=92480

And whatever you do, don't post it in this thread, post a new thread. I can tell you right now that this thread is too mixed with too many issues, and no one is seriously looking at it anymore. It's just too disorganized.
Well just for the record I changed my skin to metropolis (because I couldn't work out how to force a library update in confluence) and now my crashes are back Sad

Time for another complete reinstall and stick with confluence.
Is there a memory hog or a memory leak that can be resolved in XBMC?

Do you guys have an overview of which core services or add-ons that sucks up a lot of RAM? ...maybe ATV2 users then can disable something to make it run smoothly.
From the comments I received after my uploaded debug- and crash-logs, the actual crash happens outside XBMC, i.e. in the iOS operating system, due to RAM shortage.

Any usual suspects for stealing all the RAM? Huh
The Real Skimshady
If it was so easy to know what leaks - it would be already fixed ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
I understand...

Didn't mean to make your hard work sound simple Smile

Just trying to constructively break down the problem and maybe help your thought process!

I'm thinking maybe on other systems (windows, linux etc) it is easier to monitor which processes eats up the RAM, maybe there are good tools to pinpoint what exactly / which situations causes big RAM use ;D
The Real Skimshady
Its something specific to the videotoolbox hw decoder and gles texture management - you won't have success to see that issue on any other platform but ios ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
Most respectfully, is that maybe just part of the problem?

Isn't the RAM demand a cumulative problem with many factors each taking a bite into the scarse RAM pool?

Some of these factors can very well be cross-system memory -"waste" (hogs or leaks) which only shows up as crashes and significant problems on low-end devices such as the ATV2?

I'm just asking humbly, and with all due respect to your fantastic efforts building and maintaining XBMC Big Grin
The Real Skimshady
if it's low-end devices we should see problem on the R-Pi as well i would think. It actually runs way better on it using Gotham. As well as any Android device.
Between Frodo and Gotham there have been many fixes and improvements. So in all those changes there could be something that the ATV2 just doesn't like.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Mine likes Gotham a lot more than Frodo, but I don't install any other jailbreak-related software on it other than XBMC, and I don't run a lot of service add-ons.
How can I completely make a fresh install of XBMC? I mean remove all history and bad configurations and traces from old add-ons once removed? I have reinstalled XBMC several times, but I have a nagging feeling that old stuff lingers in there somewhere ;P

Maybe I should consider doing it properly from scratch... and see if it gets more stable then
The Real Skimshady
Raspberry PI is out of scope here as most are using it in the 512MB RAM version which is not comparable to the 256MB ATV2. Also RBPI has a whole different player and also the benefit of direct contribution from the HW creator (which makes debugging and understanding of the system much more easier - at least for that one contributor). But i can continue discussing it for hours if you like - nobody is currently after this problem i can assure you. (atv2 sucks as a developer platform because of the already mentioned limitations for developers).
Ah, that's to bad. I've been having these same issues ever since I updated to Gotham with playing most HD video files and I was hoping there would be a fix in this topic.
I guess I will be buying a new, more powerful, device to replace my ATV2. I guess XBMC will be needing even more resources in the future. Which is kind of logical of course.
Please don't give up on the ATV2 just yet... Big Grin

I'm sure it is something strange and maybe trivial that is going on... We identified the crash coming from outside XBMC, i.e. the iOS itself probably due to low RAM.

My experience after upgrading to Gotham is that the ATV2 crashes very easy intermittently, then it can be quite stable sometimes for many hours... And then it goes back to being hopeless again. It's like it is having good and bad days ;S

Does this make sense?
The Real Skimshady
Dear All,

I have also experienced crashes to frontrow immediately after starting some HD video files with Gotham 13.0 as well as with the 13.1 RC1. I now downgraded to Frodo 12.3, which I had used before and which played the same files without any problems. The first attempt lead to a crash again. What seems to work as a workaround is to repeatedly press pause and play as soon as the "instable" HD file starts playing and to give the ATV2 some time in pause mode to "settle". Not sure how reliable this workaround is though. Maybe some of you guys want to test this as well.

Another thought I have had when reading through this thread is that some of the problems seem to occur on ATVs with a jailbroken 5.3 firmware (the firmware version is not consistently mentioned by all those who reported crashes though). I too upgraded to 5.3 before upgrading to Gotham, so the question is whether the stability issue is maybe not so much an issue with Gotham, but maybe with the new firmware/jailbreak. Just a thought though. Not sure this makes sense...

All the best,

M4tt0
For the love of god, someone close this thread so people have to start new threads that are specific to their issue. This thread has too many different issues attempting to be discussed all at the same time.
  • 10(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC ATV2 shuts down when starting video playback2