Organize movies by genre in metadata files
Question 
i have alot of troubles organizing movies by genre, because movies can belong to many different genres at once.

it would be cool if you could make a metadata file wich indicates what genres and subgenres a movie belongs to.

xbmc should then be able to read this file and let you choose if you want to display movies by genres or shares.

example:

a movie with both action and horror genre in metadata file would generate 2 lists accessible in xbmc. and the movie would appear in both of them.

subgenres would appear as a sorting-mechanism in a given genre list. eg. you choose the action list in xbmc and the subgenre authentic would then limit the view to only authentic action movies.

i have tried smb with ntfs junctions, xbms and ccx and none of these provides the required versatality.
one assumes you have tried the database views.

it doesn't have subgenres, but does have genre view.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

i actually would love to have that feature added, as simple as it may seem. of course i also realize you can organize things into genres, but being able to put them into multiple genres would a great feature in my honest opinion.
just to clear something up:

imdb stores multiple genres for each movie.

when that information is fed into xbmc (via a scan or movie information lookup) it's added to the database in the same fashion.

thus the same movie can show up in 10 different genre categories.

the only thing that xbmc doesn't do is have sub-categories of the main genre categories. for the simple reason that there is no way to obtain that information from imdb.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

ok, rather than have a movie show in 10 genres when in genre view can it be singled to just show the first as an option rather than all of them that were parsed?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Organize movies by genre in metadata files0