No surround sound through HDMI
Hi. I'm kind of new to XBMC, but had this problem before XBMC, in fx VLC.

My setup is a Zotac Mini-ITX PC which is connected through HDMI to my Samsung home entertainment system (5.1).

My i play movies (like mkv, not DVD) in XBMC, or any other player, there is no surround sound in any movies, not even the center speaker. If i toss a DVD in the Samsung player, it works fine.

Does my PC not support this through HDMI, or is this a software problem?
Are you sure the mkv files you tried have 5.1 channel audio? Also check the audio format.
Have you do these?

1. Select HDMI audio output in Windows 7 or 8 control panel/hardware and sound/sound/playback
2. Select audio exclusive mode in Windows 7 or 8 audio properties
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2014-05-05, 15:01)lasse o Wrote: Hi. I'm kind of new to XBMC, but had this problem before XBMC, in fx VLC.

My setup is a Zotac Mini-ITX PC which is connected through HDMI to my Samsung home entertainment system (5.1).

My i play movies (like mkv, not DVD) in XBMC, or any other player, there is no surround sound in any movies, not even the center speaker. If i toss a DVD in the Samsung player, it works fine.

Check that your 'home entertainment system' is capable of outputting multi channel sound from mkv files. Many Home Theatre in the Box all-in-one solutions are only capable of multi channel sounds from the DVD player, but restricted to 2 channel sound (if supported at all), through mkv or other file formats.

What Samsung model is it?
(2014-05-05, 16:33)steelman1991 Wrote:
(2014-05-05, 15:01)lasse o Wrote: Hi. I'm kind of new to XBMC, but had this problem before XBMC, in fx VLC.

Check that your 'home entertainment system' is capable of outputting multi channel sound from mkv files. Many Home Theatre in the Box all-in-one solutions are only capable of multi channel sounds from the DVD player, but restricted to 2 channel sound (if supported at all), through mkv or other file formats.

What Samsung model is it?

It is a Samsiung HT-E6750W.

(2014-05-05, 16:19)bluray Wrote: Have you do these?

1. Select HDMI audio output in Windows 7 or 8 control panel/hardware and sound/sound/playback
2. Select audio exclusive mode in Windows 7 or 8 audio properties

It is set to output through HDMI. I don't know what audio exclusive mode is? Smile

(2014-05-05, 15:51)baijuxavior Wrote: Are you sure the mkv files you tried have 5.1 channel audio? Also check the audio format.

If i play the mkv in VLC, Audio device is stereo, but i can choose 5.1 though.
So did you check the manual?

Make sure 'Speaker Selection' is not set to 'TV'
I don't have one i'm afraid, as it is bought used..

What would i look for if i could find it as a download?
See second sentence in the last post.
Where is the debug log? see log_file (wiki) for how to do this.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No surround sound through HDMI0