MYSQL vs UPnP
This may have already been asked, but after searching I could not find a direct answer. I currently have 5 different instances of XBMC set up in my home. I am using MYSQL to keep everything synced. I would like to upgrade to Gotham and have read about the improvements to UPnP sharing. So my question is what is the benefit of using MYSQL over UPnP or vice versa?

With the improvements to UPnP is it better to use that?

Thank you
short version: if you've already got MySQL setup then stick with MySQL.

UPnP is an easier method of sharing library entries, but doesn't cover everything MySQL does, at least not in Gotham.
That's what I needed to hear. Thank you
Now, what would be cool, Install a skin on the server and then it gets shared to every instance of XBMC in your network! Uniformity!
is there a table that compares the features of mysql vs current upnp ?
would love a headless version of UPnP for my NAS!
Frodo Win 8 Pro x64
Fractal Design Node 605 (looks amazing)
i5 3570K, Asus P8Z77V LK
2x80GB Intel 320 SSD, 4TB NAS
GTX 670x2 SLI, 16GB GSkill Ares
Onkyo RC360 with Paradigm piece-by-piece 5.1 build
Nyxboard and AHK full controlled via XBox Controller
(2014-05-08, 19:35)flhthemi Wrote: Now, what would be cool, Install a skin on the server and then it gets shared to every instance of XBMC in your network! Uniformity!

Maybe but the reason I like XBMC is everyone can use a different skin. What skin I like isn't what skin my brothe rlikes or my sister. And you only have to install a skin once at the beginning so it's not a huge deal really. If you had to constantly reinstall skins then I'd want it like that but in your initial setup of XBMC, adding a skin is s quick that it's painless.
(2014-05-08, 23:15)tential Wrote:
(2014-05-08, 19:35)flhthemi Wrote: Now, what would be cool, Install a skin on the server and then it gets shared to every instance of XBMC in your network! Uniformity!

Maybe but the reason I like XBMC is everyone can use a different skin. What skin I like isn't what skin my brothe rlikes or my sister. And you only have to install a skin once at the beginning so it's not a huge deal really. If you had to constantly reinstall skins then I'd want it like that but in your initial setup of XBMC, adding a skin is s quick that it's painless.

It would be an OPTION not mandatory. That way you could keep doing what you're doing Wink

I guess what I could do is setup the skin on one PC then copy the folder to the others....but there are additional files I would need outside that folder I think and I have no idea what they would be....

I have serveral devices running XBMC and it's just the wife and I. So to keep it in the vein of KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) for her this would be nice because any of the 5 devices would let her see it the same way.
(2014-05-08, 20:09)bry- Wrote: is there a table that compares the features of mysql vs current upnp ?

I'd be interested in seeing something like this. But any references to MySQL don't tend to mention much in detail and anything about XBMC's UPnP features tend to be about "incoming." It's almost as if it assumes everyone know's what's what.
For those interested I've been playing around with integrating UPnP client features into a skin, if the server is another XBMC machine there are possibilities.

Convergence
Noli illegitimi carborundum

(2014-05-08, 20:21)tjcinnamon Wrote: would love a headless version of UPnP for my NAS!

me too Wink
MySQL works as if it were a normal database on XBMC, so everything works like normal and has full XBMC library features, but in a database that is shared between multiple boxes. You can manage things from each box, including adding/editing the library, make playlists, and integrate with various add-ons that are designed to work with XBMC's library. Watched and resume points are shared with every box.

UPnP is managed from one "host" XBMC box. Updating the library, changing artwork, etc, must be done on the host. You can use smart playlists if they are created on the host. Every box can make basic playlists. UPnP isn't a part of the local library, so add-ons designed to be used with the library normally won't work (Trakt, PseudoTV, TvTunes, etc). UPnP is a file source, so it make it behave as if it where the local library you must use a skin that allows you to change the home screen buttons. Watched and resume points are shared with every box.

Despite these limitations of UPnP, even now with v13 it covers most of what many people need, and setting it up with custom home items is often easier than the entire MySQL setup. Once set up you might not even see a difference, depending on the features you use.

In the future UPnP sources will be able to integrate with the local library, which will remove most of the limitations I mentioned.
Oh, and UPnP clients can't do certain things like group movies into sets, or use the advanced library filter (wiki).
I just want clear-art, logo-art and disc-art to work with UPNP. I already 'export to individual files' from my PC's instance of XBMC to the NAS movie and TV show folders and the artwork shows up on the other XBMC machines accessing the content. Would love if the extra artwork showed up if the clients were accessing the library of the master via UPNP. Don't even care about watched status or any of the other features.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MYSQL vs UPnP0