Linux XBMC 13 Gotham no longer triggers passthrough audio
passthrough audio worked on 12.0 but now that i'm using 13 it won't kick in.

I have tried all the settings and nothing makes a difference. Anyone else having this issue?

I'm running and AMD mini-ITX with on board HD4250 graphics with HDMI output.
(2014-05-06, 07:05)Ry J Wrote: passthrough audio worked on 12.0 but now that i'm using 13 it won't kick in.

I have tried all the settings and nothing makes a difference. Anyone else having this issue?

I'm running and AMD mini-ITX with on board HD4250 graphics with HDMI output.
I had the exact same problem although with a different config but the Pulseaudio wiki page was very helpful, particularly section 3.1, Step 1. Pavucontrol needs to be installed.
Code:
sudo apt-get install pavucontrol
Hope that helps.
Please read the announcement next time, it clearly names that we now use pulseaudio _if_ the user has installed it, cause we honor what user wants.
Wiki is here: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=PulseAudio

Not sure what we can do else than writing it into the release announcement ...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2014-05-06, 08:37)fritsch Wrote: Please read the announcement next time, it clearly names that we now use pulseaudio _if_ the user has installed it, cause we honor what user wants.

I don't know what to tell ya on that front. All I know is Frodo worked perfectly fine, then the auto update happened and now it doesn't on Gotham. I didn't even notice it updated itself. Anyway the point is I shouldn't have to go looking for some announcement. The new and improved version should just work properly and not have the users have to go looking around for why their stuff doesn't work anymore. You have to consider that there are users out there that aren't following the latest news, which I'm sure are many.

(2014-05-06, 11:07)Ry J Wrote:
(2014-05-06, 08:37)fritsch Wrote: Please read the announcement next time, it clearly names that we now use pulseaudio _if_ the user has installed it, cause we honor what user wants.

I don't know what to tell ya on that front. All I know is Frodo worked perfectly fine, then the auto update happened and now it doesn't on Gotham. I didn't even notice it updated itself. Anyway the point is I shouldn't have to go looking for some announcement. The new and improved version should just work properly and not have the users have to go looking around for why their stuff doesn't work anymore. You have to consider that there are users out there that aren't following the latest news, which I'm sure are many.

Anyways, thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I'm just frustrated and venting. My apologies.
I think you should buy a mac and only use interfaces with two knobs.

Oki, i hope you enjoy gotham never the less (after that rough start). Btw. we are directly planning 13.1 (as we f**cked it up one day before release) ... so not only you are frustrated :-)
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I am using an Acer Aspire Revo running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and running XBMC on that. Under Eden I always had trouble with the sound, could never get more than 2 channels even though I have an optical SPDIF cable running from my Revo to my receiver. When Frodo came along I was so happy because the sound actually worked and I am getting full surround sound. Yesterday Update Manager wanted to install Gotham and something told me not to do it because I would regret it - now after reading this I know why!

Please understand that there are a lot of Linux users nowadays that are just users. We don't tinker around in Linux any more than we absolutely have to, and we use whatever sound system Ubuntu provides by default, and probably half of us have no idea what that even is. Frodo just worked in such an environment, and that was good. Now if I am reading this right, we are going back to a situation where many Ubuntu users will have sound issues and won't know how to fix them. Worse, many will just accept the upgrade without questioning it and then regret it when they have sound issues.

Seems like a common lament among myself and others I know lately is, "Why do developers always have to 'fix' stuff that isn't broken?" Seems like if you ever get a "golden" version of some piece of software that works wonderfully, the next version will be guaranteed to break things, and I am not talking specifically about XBMC here. Anyway, Linux users today are not like Linux users a decade ago or even five years ago, many now are just users, the same way they would be if they were using a Windows machine or a Mac. And this is especially true now that many former Windows XP users have switched to Linux. Anyway, I hope this can all be sorted out for the next version!

In the meantime, do I have to do anything special to get Update Manager to not offer me the current version of Gotham again? I would hate to accidentally install it, or worse yet, one part of it, just because I clicked or didn't click the wrong checkbox.
Sadly, you did not understand a single thing.

Quote:Please understand that there are a lot of Linux users nowadays that are just users. We don't tinker around in Linux any more than we absolutely have to, and we use whatever sound system Ubuntu provides by default, and probably half of us have no idea what that even is.

Exactly that's the point here. xbmc users the audio system ubuntu installs by default and this _is_ pulseaudio. We start xbmc, ask "pulseaudio are you here?" - If it answers: "Yes, I am". We ask: "Do you make the audio on that computer?" If it tells yes, we use it.

Frodo had big problems when PA was running, cause the ALSA device would be blocked by pulseaudio - the _default_ audio server on Ubuntu. When the blocking happens while starting or during playback. Frodo would just segfault.

So now users complain about an audio system they have installed, up _and_ running and we therefore make use of it :-(

Edit2: And if you now complain about the "passthrough" option being hidden in the advanced setting. We did that, cause normal joe has no clue what passthrough is. We exactly made it that way - so that "normal" audio just works without doing anything ...
(2014-05-06, 19:12)xbmclinuxuser Wrote: I am using an Acer Aspire Revo running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and running XBMC on that. Under Eden I always had trouble with the sound, could never get more than 2 channels even though I have an optical SPDIF cable running from my Revo to my receiver. When Frodo came along I was so happy because the sound actually worked and I am getting full surround sound. Yesterday Update Manager wanted to install Gotham and something told me not to do it because I would regret it - now after reading this I know why!

Please understand that there are a lot of Linux users nowadays that are just users. We don't tinker around in Linux any more than we absolutely have to, and we use whatever sound system Ubuntu provides by default, and probably half of us have no idea what that even is. Frodo just worked in such an environment, and that was good. Now if I am reading this right, we are going back to a situation where many Ubuntu users will have sound issues and won't know how to fix them. Worse, many will just accept the upgrade without questioning it and then regret it when they have sound issues.

Seems like a common lament among myself and others I know lately is, "Why do developers always have to 'fix' stuff that isn't broken?" Seems like if you ever get a "golden" version of some piece of software that works wonderfully, the next version will be guaranteed to break things, and I am not talking specifically about XBMC here. Anyway, Linux users today are not like Linux users a decade ago or even five years ago, many now are just users, the same way they would be if they were using a Windows machine or a Mac. And this is especially true now that many former Windows XP users have switched to Linux. Anyway, I hope this can all be sorted out for the next version!

In the meantime, do I have to do anything special to get Update Manager to not offer me the current version of Gotham again? I would hate to accidentally install it, or worse yet, one part of it, just because I clicked or didn't click the wrong checkbox.

My sentiments exactly.
(2014-05-06, 19:20)fritsch Wrote: Sadly, you did not understand a single thing.

That's entirely possible, and if so, I apologize. When it comes to Linux, I find that happens more often than I would like.

(2014-05-06, 19:20)fritsch Wrote:
Quote:Please understand that there are a lot of Linux users nowadays that are just users. We don't tinker around in Linux any more than we absolutely have to, and we use whatever sound system Ubuntu provides by default, and probably half of us have no idea what that even is.

Exactly that's the point here. xbmc users the audio system ubuntu installs by default and this _is_ pulseaudio. We start xbmc, ask "pulseaudio are you here?" - If it answers: "Yes, I am". We ask: "Do you make the audio on that computer?" If it tells yes, we use it.

Frodo had big problems when PA was running, cause the ALSA device would be blocked by pulseaudio - the _default_ audio server on Ubuntu. When the blocking happens while starting or during playback. Frodo would just segfault.

So now users complain about an audio system they have installed, up _and_ running and we therefore make use of it :-(

I'm not complaining about that, exactly. But as a programmer and probably somewhat of a Linux expert, you probably don't really appreciate how nerve-wracking it is when you upgrade a piece of software and suddenly something like the sound isn't working the way it should be. And maybe it only takes someone that knows what they are doing about 15 seconds to find the setting that needs to be changed and fix it, but if you are just an average user and have no idea what that setting is, it could take hours or days to figure it out. The only reason I'm at all nervous about doing the upgrade is because I remember how much trouble I had getting the sound to work under Eden, and I never did get surround to work. And in Ubuntu, once you have upgraded, there is no easy way to roll back a version (unlike, say, OS X where you can simply restore your previous version and its data files from a Time Machine backup). So, just the fact that Linux users are posting that they are having sound issues is making me really nervous. Especially after you said, "we are directly planning 13.1 (as we f**cked it up one day before release) ... so not only you are frustrated :-)" to another person in this thread.

I will note that under Frodo, the startup sound has never played for me, and sometimes it takes two or three seconds before I hear menu sounds. So maybe I am experiencing a small bit of the problems you mentioned. But those aren't that important compared to getting true surround sound during video playback.

(2014-05-06, 19:20)fritsch Wrote: Edit2: And if you now complain about the "passthrough" option being hidden in the advanced setting. We did that, cause normal joe has no clue what passthrough is. We exactly made it that way - so that "normal" audio just works without doing anything ...

Well, I'm not now because now I know where it is. But I'll bet there were people who got the update that didn't. And if you are sitting down to watch a recorded TV show or other video with your family, and suddenly it's not working right, sometimes you tend to go into panic mode.

Maybe major version upgrades shouldn't be pushed through the normal repositories unless specifically requested by the user in some way, I don't know. That's one blessing/curse of Ubuntu as opposed to OS X. On a Mac you specifically need to go out and get the upgraded version, which can be a pain compared to Ubuntu's automatic updates (or one-click depending on how you have it configured). But on Ubuntu, if you get an update you weren't expecting that requires configuration changes to work properly, that can cause a bit of panic if you were depending on the software to work. Anyway, it just seems like some Linux users had a bit of trouble with this upgrade. And personally, that's the sort of thing I'm more than happy to try to deal with on a weekend when I have all the time in the world to mess with it, but not on a weekday evening when I just want to watch TV.

I understand that you are actually trying to make things better and in that regard I appreciate your efforts. Ultimately I have no doubt this will be an improvement. It's just the surprise factor, coupled with the lack of knowledge on the part of many users to know how to fix any issues they may encounter, that I sort of wish could have been avoided. But partly the problem is the way Ubuntu updates software - even if you don't let Ununtu do completely automatic updates, it still just shows a big list of updates (which aren't always read because you often have to scroll to see more than the first few) and there is no mechanism to display a warning saying, "If you install this, you will need to reconfigure that" or even to pop up a web page showing what to do after the update. So I really don't see any way you could have avoided this.
If you're afraid things might break when you update, go read the release notes before you decide to go through with it. It's really that simple. Anyway, to get passthrough going again you need to tick some checkboxes in Pulseaudio's settings, there's a whole wiki page dedicated to it. I can't be bothered to look it up but you should find it easily.
(2014-05-06, 19:20)fritsch Wrote: Edit2: And if you now complain about the "passthrough" option being hidden in the advanced setting. We did that, cause normal joe has no clue what passthrough is. We exactly made it that way - so that "normal" audio just works without doing anything ...

same bug, No passthrough options even enabled advanced settings or expert settings.
another thread described more details.
I replied you in the other thread ...
As a data point, I also use *Ubuntu 12.04 and the upgrade to Gotham was painless. I had to change some audio settings. I don't use pulseaudio, there is still no need for it. But it is nice that xbmc now supports it.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
It 's so easy ...

choose your HDMI output or SPDIF output, set it to 2.0 speakers and enable your passthrough options:

Afterwards go to xbmc and enable passthrough - done:

If you don't want PA, though have it running, start xbmc with
Code:
AE_SINK=ALSA xbmc

You won't find the passthrough option, when your theme does not support the new settings levels that were introduced with gotham (see the Expert or Advanced in the lower left).

PA can only do passthrhough when it's configure to 2.0 speakers - this is a PA limitation. You can alternatively disable passthrough and set PA to 5.1 speakers and disable the auto mixing in PA Server (see wiki) in order to not get everything upmixed to 5.1. This is also a PA Limitation and has nothing to do with xbmc.

If pavucontrol does not show the relevant devices - you have a problem with your soundserver, again not introduced by xbmc. See the ALSA workaround. You can also set that one into a environment variable and don't need to care anymore.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC 13 Gotham no longer triggers passthrough audio1