• 175(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
(2014-12-22, 22:04)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-12-22, 20:10)jsp1 Wrote: I'd like to take out the wifi (which I don't use) and replace it with something useful. However, this useful thing alludes me. I thought maybe Broadcom chip, but I assume that is weaker than the Intel HD Graphics, if not and there would be some benefit I would be all over that.

If you're referring to the Broadcom CrystalHD (used in the ATV1), then the onboard Intel HD4000 is far superior.

Is it far superior to even the new version? Seen here...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1080p-Broadcom-C...2c6b872f06

These are the claimed specs:

Broadcom
Manufacturer AzureWave
Item Model No. BCM70015
Memory Size 64 MB
Interface mini PCI-e
Supported Resolution QCIF up to 1920 x 1080
Supported standards
H.264/AVC High Profile@LeVeL 4.2 up to 40 Mbps
VC-1 Advanced Profile@LeVeL 3 up to 45 Mbps
VC-1 MP@HL, VC-1 SP@ML, WMV9
MPEG-2 MP@LL, ML and HL at up to 80 Mbps
DivX® 3.11, 4.1, 5.X, 6.X, XviD
MPEG-4 Part 2 SP & ASP
AVS 1-P2 Jizhun Profile, Level 6.0

Speaking purely of a video playback at 1080p and under resolution standpoint. I thought I saw that the intel chip would struggle with 30+Mbps bitrate stuff.
Ouh man!

CrystalHD was removed from kodi, so you won't be able to use it at all.

Intel can decode 4K, do postprocessing and many things more. BCM70015 just sucks in comparison. It's from the Atom CPU age.

Edit: Intel can do H264 Level 5.1
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2014-12-22, 22:51)waterskier1018 Wrote:
(2014-12-22, 22:42)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-12-22, 22:24)waterskier1018 Wrote: ok, since you have DS as well, any tips on where to find the CIFS bit? I've looked around at most menus and the only spot I found it was in "directory service --> control panel --> LDAP" I don't know what LDAP is and assume it it not set up, nor do I have a name for it.

I do have R/W granted on editing the settings for the shared folder. Still looking for more and CIFS.

The following are checked yes for access: Enable Windows File Service, Enable SMB, Enable NFS, Enable NFSv4. Still getting "Operation not permitted error"

Control Panel-->File Services-->Win/Mac/NFS-->Enable Windows File Service

Control Panel-->Shared Folder-->(select folder)-->Edit-->Permissions-->guest-->enable read/write. (do for each shared folder)

then add as a source under Kodi as I previously described

This was all done prior to asking for help again. Tried again for fun, with same result. Other ideas?

For clarification, I'm trying to add under pictures and videos, then add pictures, "browse for source", select "windows network (SMB)", select Workgroup, select diskstation --> this is where the error pops up.

Just curious, you do have everything behind folders and not on a base drive, correct? My network has trouble sharing an entire drive unless I place it all inside a folder first. Just a suggestion.
(2014-12-23, 01:08)fritsch Wrote: Ouh man!

CrystalHD was removed from kodi, so you won't be able to use it at all.

Intel can decode 4K, do postprocessing and many things more. BCM70015 just sucks in comparison. It's from the Atom CPU age.

Edit: Intel can do H264 Level 5.1

Well, that settles that then. Laugh

I guess there isn't really a use for that slot other than wifi.
So far the fixed VAAPI seems to be working well in OE RC3. I'm aware that I'll get slightly better quality without it, but I figure I'd test it for a while, see if I actually notice any real-world issues.
mmh, we did not fix VAAPI. If you think of the GPU hang, then that was a kernel fault.

But yeah on the other side, VAAPI was reimplemented completely new for Helix.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I just converted from Ras-PI setup to asus chromebox as the Pi was a bit too slow for my taste. Everything works great except that when I play a 3D movie, the chromebox does not trigger my LG tv to swich to SBS 3D mode. The Pi is able to do that with the same files (MKV with the 3D tag). So I am wondering if this is possible or is it unique to the Pi? The only difference is that the Pi was running stable builds for OE and Kodi, while now I have the most recent builds.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Unique to Pi. Use your TV remote.

There is an addon somewhere here in the forums to trigger 3D mode via network.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-12-23, 07:27)zaldwaik Wrote: I just converted from Ras-PI setup to asus chromebox as the Pi was a bit too slow for my taste. Everything works great except that when I play a 3D movie, the chromebox does not trigger my LG tv to swich to SBS 3D mode. The Pi is able to do that with the same files (MKV with the 3D tag). So I am wondering if this is possible or is it unique to the Pi? The only difference is that the Pi was running stable builds for OE and Kodi, while now I have the most recent builds.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

be sure you have the correct 3D settings under System-->System-->Video Output-->Preferred Mode-->Same as movie
Then under video settings (while playing movie), Video->Stereoscopic 3D mode of video-->auto (save as default)

(2014-12-23, 08:04)nickr Wrote: Unique to Pi. Use your TV remote.

There is an addon somewhere here in the forums to trigger 3D mode via network.

If I have my TV (Panny GT50) set to autodetect 3D signal, then everything works correctly with 'auto'
(2014-12-22, 22:04)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-12-22, 21:10)nolight Wrote: Hi Matt,

If Openelec was corrupted due to editing of files during SSH and cannot boot up now, but I can still Ctrl-D into Chrome OS, what is the correct way to restore the Openelec installation? Openelec was my default OS.

Should I run the EZ-script (once or twice?) again?

no, we'll edit the file from ChromeOS, just msg me on IRC later on. Unless you don't care about your settings, then you can just re-run the OpenELEC install from the script (once). Then msg me on IRC to figure out your AVR issue.

Ok I haven't changed anything. Will wait for you on IRC today. Or let me know if I should just reinstall OpenElec instead. Thanks.
(2014-12-23, 01:11)jsp1 Wrote:
(2014-12-22, 22:51)waterskier1018 Wrote:
(2014-12-22, 22:42)Matt Devo Wrote: Control Panel-->File Services-->Win/Mac/NFS-->Enable Windows File Service

Control Panel-->Shared Folder-->(select folder)-->Edit-->Permissions-->guest-->enable read/write. (do for each shared folder)

then add as a source under Kodi as I previously described

This was all done prior to asking for help again. Tried again for fun, with same result. Other ideas?

For clarification, I'm trying to add under pictures and videos, then add pictures, "browse for source", select "windows network (SMB)", select Workgroup, select diskstation --> this is where the error pops up.

Just curious, you do have everything behind folders and not on a base drive, correct? My network has trouble sharing an entire drive unless I place it all inside a folder first. Just a suggestion.

Yes, I have files in the folder I created as well as the default folders that came on the disk station (music, photos, videos,etc). Can't get to either due to problem. My samsung smart tv can see the default folders but not the one I made.

I assume this shouldn't be a problem? My goal was to put all my stuff in my own folders. It is on the same level as the default folders.

Is there a simple way to wipe out the chrome box so I can start over? Or is that silly if kodi is loading fine?
Sorry if this has been asked too many times. In an earlier post i asked about the things you can do with a chromebox. Basically i want 1080p/24p smooth playback, HD audio codecs passthrough to a capable receiver and 4k smooth playback. People were kind enough to answer and am convinced that a chromebox is the way to go. A Asus one.My question is this. For the things that i want do i have to get the i3 version with 4gigs of ram or the cheaper with celeron will do just fine? Again thanks a lot.
Celeron is just fine. 2GB ram is fine too.
(2014-12-23, 15:42)waterskier1018 Wrote: Yes, I have files in the folder I created as well as the default folders that came on the disk station (music, photos, videos,etc). Can't get to either due to problem. My samsung smart tv can see the default folders but not the one I made.

I assume this shouldn't be a problem? My goal was to put all my stuff in my own folders. It is on the same level as the default folders.

Is there a simple way to wipe out the chrome box so I can start over? Or is that silly if kodi is loading fine?

sounds like a diskstation issue and not an OE/Kodi one, since your TV can't see the folders either. I'd make sure you can access them from a Windows PC before trying again in Kodi.
(2014-12-23, 18:35)ggp759 Wrote: Sorry if this has been asked too many times. In an earlier post i asked about the things you can do with a chromebox. Basically i want 1080p/24p smooth playback, HD audio codecs passthrough to a capable receiver and 4k smooth playback. People were kind enough to answer and am convinced that a chromebox is the way to go. A Asus one.My question is this. For the things that i want do i have to get the i3 version with 4gigs of ram or the cheaper with celeron will do just fine? Again thanks a lot.
This is all on the wiki.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
  • 175(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37