• 179(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
(2014-12-25, 06:19)nolight Wrote: Hi Matt, after I type "vi /tmp/mnt/extlinux.cfg" it becomes a blank screen and I can't proceed. I can't get back to the chromeOS shell so I just exited into ChromeOS and rebooted without unmounting.

sorry, the filename should have been 'extlinux.conf'

(2014-12-25, 00:15)clvc Wrote: Yes, dual boot Chrome / Ubuntu. I followed the instructions / script for boot setup, without error messages.

which version and metapackage?
(2014-12-25, 06:41)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-12-25, 06:19)nolight Wrote: Hi Matt, after I type "vi /tmp/mnt/extlinux.cfg" it becomes a blank screen and I can't proceed. I can't get back to the chromeOS shell so I just exited into ChromeOS and rebooted without unmounting.

Hi Matt, now when I invoke I "vi /tmp/mint/extlinux.conf" I can get into text editor and see

.... tty quiet video=HDMI-A-1Big Grin

I can also cursor move when I more the arrow keys.

However I haven't edited anything yet and just tried to exit. After esc and :wq! It says:

... /mnt/extlinux.conf" E212: can't open file for writing
Press ENTER or type command to continue
(2014-12-25, 08:39)nolight Wrote:

Hi Matt, now when I invoke I "vi /tmp/mint/extlinux.conf" I can get into text editor and see

.... tty quiet video=HDMI-A-1Big Grin

I can also cursor move when I more the arrow keys.

However I haven't edited anything yet and just tried to exit. After esc and :wq! It says:

... /mnt/extlinux.conf" E212: can't open file for writing
Press ENTER or type command to continue

Thanks Matt for helping me to get OpenELEC booted up through Chrome shell and Matt and Fritsch for trying to help me solve the AVR handshake issue, it is worth a try although not successful.

For those interested, my workaround for my weird situation of OpenELEC not displaying on TV (Chromebox hdmi to AVR hdmi to TV) is this:

1. Switch on AVR first to be ready for the chromebox.
2. Then boot up chromebox (I am using OpenELEC/Chrome OS dual boot with default OpenELEC).
3. Then switch on TV.

Somehow if both AVR/TV are off or on before chromebox boots, OpenELEC doesn't display on TV. If anyone is able to find a solution to this strange situation or interested to troubleshoot further, do contact me.

I suspect the problem might be with the TV because even with a direct connection to chromebox I still need to have the TV turn on last in order to boot up openELEC. TV is Panasonic-th-42pv70h (native resolution of 1024x768) which is HD-ready yet not full HD.

Meanwhile I will have to live with this for now and is just starting to have fun with Kodi on chromebox!
Hi,

I need help for final OE. We needed to rewrite the patch for the gpu hang, cause it introduced sever regressions for SNB and IVB. Please give this version here: https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/pull/3716

I am not interested in any feedback concerning addons, skin incompatibilities, but I want to make sure the GPU hang is still fixed.

So give it a try, please. You are allowed to directly reply in the mentioned PR.

Merry christmas and thanks very much.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2014-12-25, 01:16)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-12-25, 00:22)RockDawg Wrote: No my audio device is not listed and running the commands manually doesn't make it show up.

ok, might need to continue this offline then. what AVR (or display) do you have?
After a reboot, the audio output device shows as HDA Intel, ONK TX-NR626 on HDMI #0 which works correctly . After waking from suspend it shows as HDA Intel, HDMI #0 which does not have any audio.

My receiver is, as you can guess, an Onkyo TX-NR626. My previous computer using an Nvidia GPU with Openelec had no problems at all with this receiver.

(2014-12-25, 00:15)clvc Wrote: Yes, dual boot Chrome / Ubuntu. I followed the instructions / script for boot setup, without error messages.

Latest and desktop.
(2014-12-25, 15:35)clvc Wrote:

Latest and desktop.

Sorry, I meant ubuntu desktop.
(2014-12-25, 03:41)pie eater Wrote: hi matt. i have just had the dreaded gpu freeze running rc3 on asus standalone, streaming through a repo. after upgrading to rc3, i went into acceleration, and hit the use recommended settings. is there something that should be change from this? thanks.steve.

hi fritsch.
i did get the dreaded freeze yesterday, on my asus box running standalone 4.97.3, but i have selected use recommended setting on acceleration page. i dont know if thats anything to do with it?
merry christmas to all.
@pie eater: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1869893 <-

No problems without logfiles.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Just set up my chromebox using the instructions and easy script from the OP and wanted to give a big Thanks!
I cant believe how well this thing runs XBMC!
I have a full HTPC that I built in the living room running XBMC over Windows 8 that Ive used for quite some time and all I can say is that if I ever need to replace it I will get another Chromebox.
Its fast, simple, quiet, small and having it run standalone makes it the perfect appliance IMO.

Cant say enough good about this little box!
I'm with dtviewer on this one, the script worked flawlessly first time and OpenELEC / Kodi runs superbly!
I finally got around to getting my Chromebox and installing OE with this script.
Works great and had no problems (apart from finding the right keyboard for the installation)

One tiny issue I have with mine however is that it doesn't seem to detect my Gigabit ethernet at all... I've tried many devices on the same cable and different ports but the Chromebox just doesn't detect it.

Anyone else have issues with theirs running through gigabit ethernet?
(2014-12-27, 21:35)Mazza Wrote: Anyone else have issues with theirs running through gigabit ethernet?
FWIW, the gigabit port on my HP Chromebox works fine.
Is there a way to control the boot device/order (like on a pc), so that I could boot from the sdcard slot (if sdcard is installed) and boot from the ssd to ChromeOS if there is no sdcard present?
What I would like to do is put OpenELEC on an sdcard and only have the card inserted when I want to run Kodi, otherwise, I would leave the card out and it would boot to ChromeOS...when I want to use Amazon Instant Video, Netflix, etc.
(2014-12-27, 21:35)Mazza Wrote: Anyone else have issues with theirs running through gigabit ethernet?

No - both mine are fine on GigE.
  • 179(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37