• 265(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
Being a moderator and having to cope with people that repeatadly refuse to read - sucks. There is no other word for that. You bought your chromeboxes from google and not from matt. If you want telephone support restore the original chrome OS version - this is what you paid for.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2015-03-28, 04:01)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-03-27, 20:21)darissimo Wrote: Hi All!
I've the same problem of code_19
I passed to the standalone boot and I have this screen

[snip]

Is the Chromebox bricked?

Please HEEEEELP!

Thanks
Dario

why does everyone think that every problem they encounter = device is bricked? A brick is not a device that powers on, shows video, but fails to detect a connected USB stick for booting.

The ChromeBox is known to be picky about booting from USB media. Over the past year, I've asked many times for people to loan me USB sticks that don't work so I can figure out if it's an issue with the USB device or the ChromeBox firmware; to date, no one has taken me up on the offer. So people just have to be patient and try a couple different USB sticks if the first one doesn't work.

Thanks for the answer, I feel reeeeeeally better now...
I tried 5 differtent USB sticks, 3 different SDs, 4 keyboards and 3 mice... and I'm stuck there with that screen! The only thing that makes something different is the SD with the ChromeOS recovery, made before modding.
Thanks for an help!!!
(2015-03-28, 09:59)darissimo Wrote: Thanks for the answer, I feel reeeeeeally better now...
I tried 5 differtent USB sticks, 3 different SDs, 4 keyboards and 3 mice... and I'm stuck there with that screen! The only thing that makes something different is the SD with the ChromeOS recovery, made before modding.
Thanks for an help!!!

just to be clear, you flashed the standalone firmware, and have created 5 different USB install sticks for OpenELEC using the disk image version, and none of them are recognized / give you the 'press ESC for boot menu' text? what keyboard and mouse are you using?

The ChromeOS recovery media is valid only when running the stock firmware. Since you aren't anymore, it's useless Smile
(2015-03-28, 08:31)fritsch Wrote: Being a moderator and having to cope with people that repeatadly refuse to read - sucks. There is no other word for that. You bought your chromeboxes from google and not from matt. If you want telephone support restore the original chrome OS version - this is what you paid for.

Does that means anyone can go on rampage insulting others when they just need a little help and forgot to read the wiki?
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
"forgot" to read the wiki ... if someone forgot to switch brain mode on, perhaps matt has forgotten to switch on the "explain it the 999s time and be polite while doing so" mode?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
We all here to help each other to use this great software in this forum
Last i checked nobody is forcing Matt to answer any questions. His help is always kindly appreciated.

This thread has 265 pages,that means people still have questions,if he doesn't feel like answering, he could close the thread and tell eveyone to read the wiki.
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
(2015-03-28, 02:35)movie78 Wrote: Already read the Wiki and try to setting long time ago and still having tearing..

So potentially the problem is that you said you read the wiki and now you say you "forgot". It can be frustrating to attempt to help a user when they are providing false information.
(2015-03-28, 13:42)movie78 Wrote: We all here to help each other to use this great software in this forum
Last i checked nobody is forcing Matt to answer any questions. His help is always kindly appreciated.

This thread has 265 pages,that means people still have questions,if he doesn't feel like answering, he could close the thread and tell eveyone to read the wiki.

First post - right at the top

THREAD RULES: Read before posting
  • Other configurations, including installing Windows, dual-boot setups not involving ChromeOS, etc, will not be supported in this thread.
  • Playback related issues should be discussed in the Linux support forum (or, if add-on related, in the correct forum/thread), as they are 99% likely not ChromeBox-specific.
  • Be sure to read the Kodi wiki page on how to provide the necessary info in order to troubleshoot your issue.
  • Be sure to read both this first post and the ChromeBox wiki page in their entirety before posting.
  • When reporting a problem, be sure to include whether you are running a standalone or dual boot setup, date stamp from SeaBIOS version string, OS / OS version, and kernel version (if not running OpenELEC).
  • Posts which do no conform to the topic of this thread will be moved or deleted, at the discretion of the forum moderators.
Keep calm boys it's only a piece of hardware
Recently got an Asus Chromebox, followed the Wiki and with Matt's awesome script, got OpenELEC installed and Kodi is working beautifully with an Amazon Fire TV stick Bluetooth remote as the controller.

The only question I have thus far is (and maybe I should post this over at the OpenELEC forum?).... with Kodi 14.2 Final being released over the last 24 hours, how do I go about upgrading the 14.2 RC that's currently installed on my Chromebox to the final version just released? Do we just wait for Matt to bundle it in and re-run the script or something? Or do we have to manually apply it?

Please don't see this post as a "Matt, ZMOG, a Kodi update just came out..... bundle it in NOWWWWWw!!!1". I'm SO not trying to come across that way. As a brand new user of a Chromebox and Matt's script, I'm simply wondering how Kodi updates are handled. Thanks!
Enable automatic update under open elec setting (if i remember correctly)
Jup, it will update when you restart it if an update is available.
(2015-03-28, 21:35)Roby77 Wrote: Enable automatic update under open elec setting (if i remember correctly)

I already have that enabled but I had the impression that this would only update OpenELEC or are OpenELEC and Kodi pretty much linked at the hip and when OpenELEC updates come out, they'll definitely include any Kodi updates as well? (If OE and Kodi ARE tied together, how often do OpenELEC updates come out?)
I have no doubt openelec will release a new version when it is ready. Generally within a few days of kodi release. Be patient, even computer geeks have lives.

PS keep an eye here if you want to see the release announcement. http://openelec.tv/forum/120-news-announcements
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
hello all,
apologies first if i put this on the wrong page and if so, could someone direct me please to the correct one!!!
i tried to install openelec standalone on a (celeron chromebox) following matt's instructions and have become stuck at the ctl-alt-f2 part. my keyboard worked fine with the ctl-D command to put into developer mode and then i disabled firmware write protect as instructed. rebooted and am unable to get the chromebox to recognize the ctl-alt-f2 command to start the e-z setup.
could it be a keyboard problem?
could i install openelec another way?
thanks and apologies again if i am in the wrong thread.
scott
  • 265(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37