• 281(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
@binhex01 I can confirm this. HP Chromebox with HP MCE Receiver doesnt work on front port after reboot. Works with USB hub on rear USB ports. Whats USB tuners are you using? Have you tried them both on a hub? How was the performance? Im looking as adding a second usb tuner on a USB hub.
(2015-04-24, 12:52)stuCONNERS Wrote: @binhex01 I can confirm this. HP Chromebox with HP MCE Receiver doesnt work on front port after reboot. Works with USB hub on rear USB ports. Whats USB tuners are you using? Have you tried them both on a hub? How was the performance? Im looking as adding a second usb tuner on a USB hub.

im using two dual tuner DVB-T USB KWorld UB499-2T adapters, ive had these for a couple of years now and they work really well, openelec picks them up no problems and i see the adapters listed in tvheadend as "Afatech AF9033". Both of these tuners are now connected to a 4 port USB 3.0 Hub (Anker hub) hanging off one of the rear ports, i see no issues with performance, for kicks i had it recording 9 shows simultaneously and it worked, channel switching is also pretty good with < 1 second delay, all in all im pretty happy with the end result.

i did have some fights with tvheadend configuraiton, but it's not relevant to this thread, so i will leave it there :-).
Great stuff Matt Devo. Very quick after reading the instructions 2 or 3 times and having been following the thread for a while. I already had an openelec install USB so didn't need to create that.

Watching the news on it now.

My only problem was wondering how forceful to be taking the feet off. This helped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8aBOWOKAQo
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-04-24, 12:52)stuCONNERS Wrote: @binhex01 I can confirm this. HP Chromebox with HP MCE Receiver doesnt work on front port after reboot. Works with USB hub on rear USB ports. Whats USB tuners are you using? Have you tried them both on a hub? How was the performance? Im looking as adding a second usb tuner on a USB hub.

Same thing here. Something isn't right with the front usb ports on the hp box.
Matt,

First, thanks for your great work.

Are there any plans for a standalone option for the new Broadwell builds (specifically, the Acer c740)?
(2015-04-26, 13:52)calev Wrote:

Same thing here. Something isn't right with the front usb ports on the hp box.

provide a kernel log (dmesg | pastebinit) after a reboot where the IR receiver doesn't work.

(2015-04-26, 16:30)rlillie Wrote: Matt,

First, thanks for your great work.

Are there any plans for a standalone option for the new Broadwell builds (specifically, the Acer c740)?

from what I can tell, the stock firmware on the Broadwell-based ChromeOS devices is much better than that of the Haswell generation, so I'm not sure that there's any benefit to me providing a full firmware replacement. I'd recommend just installing my Legacy BIOS update, setting the boot options to 1s / Legacy Boot default, and then installing OpenELEC (eg) from USB as normal.
(2015-04-26, 20:09)Matt Devo Wrote: from what I can tell, the stock firmware on the Broadwell-based ChromeOS devices is much better than that of the Haswell generation, so I'm not sure that there's any benefit to me providing a full firmware replacement. I'd recommend just installing my Legacy BIOS update, setting the boot options to 1s / Legacy Boot default, and then installing OpenELEC (eg) from USB as normal.

Great! That's very reassuring. Thanks, Matt.
I used the script to install standalone ubuntu 10.04 (from a usb media, I think). Installed kodi as well, and they all work OK but after sometime the video stops and audio continues to play. Chrome/firefox/kodi all have this issue. I have 3.13 latest kernel that is shipped as part of 10.04 LTS. Forums seem to indicate that this could be due to intel video driver bug, so I installed 3.19 from canonical mainline ppa. When I boot with 3.19 kernel, it boots up all the way (I have auto login), but I can't use my keyboard (Logitech K400). Keyboard works fine with 3.13.0-49 boot though!

I followed the instructions here to install 3.19:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/598483/ho...-14-04-now

Specifically by doing: sudo apt-get install linux-{image,headers}-3.19.\*-generic

Wondering anyone used that method here on ASUS chromebox, and successfully updated the kernel to avoid the intel video bug. I will try ubuntu forums as well. Appreciate any help.
Hi Matt,

Would it be possible to add standalone firmware support for Dell Chromebook 11 (aka Wolf) to your script?

Thank you.

PS. I've just realized that latest.version file on your dropbox has not been updated since february 2015 and update-script (http://goo.gl/HSZer4) does not work anymore. I had to modify it by hand Smile
(2015-04-26, 20:43)malahal Wrote: I used the script to install standalone ubuntu 10.04 (from a usb media, I think). Installed kodi as well, and they all work OK but after sometime the video stops and audio continues to play. Chrome/firefox/kodi all have this issue. I have 3.13 latest kernel that is shipped as part of 10.04 LTS. Forums seem to indicate that this could be due to intel video driver bug, so I installed 3.19 from canonical mainline ppa. When I boot with 3.19 kernel, it boots up all the way (I have auto login), but I can't use my keyboard (Logitech K400). Keyboard works fine with 3.13.0-49 boot though!

Specifically by doing: sudo apt-get install linux-{image,headers}-3.19.\*-generic

Wondering anyone used that method here on ASUS chromebox, and successfully updated the kernel to avoid the intel video bug. I will try ubuntu forums as well. Appreciate any help.

since this isn't a kodi-related hardware or script issue, www.ubuntuforums.com is where's I recommend you try for help, but in general running older software on newer hardware isn't the best recipe. 14.04 with an updated kernel is the oldest I'd recommend

(2015-04-26, 20:54)atilaks Wrote: Hi Matt,

Would it be possible to add standalone firmware support for Dell Chromebook 11 (aka Wolf) to your script?

Thank you.

PS. I've just realized that latest.version file on your dropbox has not been updated since february 2015 and update-script (http://goo.gl/HSZer4) does not work anymore. I had to modify it by hand Smile

Wolf is currently supported for a dual-boot config, and you can run it standalone as I recommended for the Broadwell ChromeBooks above. If you really want a standalone firmware, you can try using John Lewis' as linked in the OP, but those aren't supported by me. I've build standalone firmwares for other ChromeBooks, but I have no ability to test/troubleshoot so they're unsupported at best
Ok, thanks, I will check John Lewis' fw.
Hi Matt,

It looks like the legacy bios for Wolf does not work. All I get is a blank screen. Everything is ok when I use a patched seabios file from here:

https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issue...=348403#c4

Could it be because of misnamed VGA option rom?
(2015-04-26, 21:08)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-04-26, 20:43)malahal Wrote: I used the script to install standalone ubuntu 10.04 (from a usb media, I think). Installed kodi as well, and they all work OK but after sometime the video stops and audio continues to play. Chrome/firefox/kodi all have this issue. I have 3.13 latest kernel that is shipped as part of 10.04 LTS. Forums seem to indicate that this could be due to intel video driver bug, so I installed 3.19 from canonical mainline ppa. When I boot with 3.19 kernel, it boots up all the way (I have auto login), but I can't use my keyboard (Logitech K400). Keyboard works fine with 3.13.0-49 boot though!

since this isn't a kodi-related hardware or script issue, www.ubuntuforums.com is where's I recommend you try for help, but in general running older software on newer hardware isn't the best recipe. 14.04 with an updated kernel is the oldest I'd recommend

Sorry for the confusion, I actually have 14.04. I never installed 10.04 (it was a typo). In any case, I will try ubuntu forums.
(2015-04-26, 21:35)atilaks Wrote: Hi Matt,

It looks like the legacy bios for Wolf does not work. All I get is a blank screen. Everything is ok when I use a patched seabios file from here:

https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issue...=348403#c4

Could it be because of misnamed VGA option rom?

no, my updated Legacy BIOS correctly accommodates all of the Haswell Mobile GPU PCI ids.

when you select the legacy bios update option in the script, can you tell me the filename which is flashed?
My bad Matt, looks like everything is ok now. Something must have went wrong the first time.

Edit:
Actually it is not. I get to see seabios output first, when bios is trying to boot from the hard drive. It is completely blank in the beginning, so I do not see 'Press ESC for a boot menu' and I cannot choose to boot from USB. It is kind of difficult to explain Smile The bios version is 2015-04-23.
  • 281(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37