• 331(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
(2015-07-22, 03:01)bobrock55 Wrote: Hi,

I am trying to install LinuxMint on my new ChromeBox. I have followed instructions from this site and everything looks fine when I load LinuxMint from the USB. I can run things and no issues with the speed and stability....(not quite right, continue reading...)
From that point I wanted to install Mint and went until the installer is asking me to enter my name. To my horror, the USB keyboard is not responding....not a single button works....can't continue with the install.....r
I've changed the keyboard for another one but that one is even more colder than other.....can't type a single letter or number.

Just for the heck of it, I've loaded Ubuntu too...same thing...can run with mouse only but no keyboard function at all....

Any thoughts?

thank you
Bob

what keyboard(s) have you tested? They are working to select the boot device/menu, or not on the SeaBIOS screen either?

(2015-07-22, 03:08)Blalien830 Wrote: Hello, I'm new on here so have patience if I make mistakes posting/ replying. I recently purchased a Asus Chromebox and went ahead and tried to install openelec/kodi along side chrome by following the OP and come up with nothing. When I think I've seen the light after the installer for openelec has shown up I chose to either run installer or live and the screen goes black and I get nothing until I reboot and press ctr+L. Only to go through the same process over again. PLEASE HELP!!

which type of setup are you attempting to install? There's no situation where you should be running the OpenELEC installer when dual booting ChromeOS - that's only used for a standalone install, and why that function is under the standalone heading in the script.

Also, what type of display are you using, and how is it connected to the ChromeBox? The behavior you are describing is not uncommon when using a DisplayPort->something adapter, as noted in the wiki
Hello, I just bought my second Chromebox and I am running through the same guide as I did my first Chromebox which went great. However, this time I am running into an error on step 4.

Download and run the ChromeBox setup script with the commands:
curl -L -O http://goo.gl/3Tfu5W
sudo bash 3Tfu5W

After entering the sudo bash 3Tfu5W command I receive the error: 3tfu5w: no such file or directory. I have tried the other url as well resulting in the same error, I also verified internet connectivity in the console. It appears that the link in the script it downloads from is not available? Has anyone else had this issue as of recently? I saw someone else had this issue prior a few months ago but I did not see a resolution. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
(2015-07-22, 17:32)savagelemur Wrote: Hello, I just bought my second Chromebox and I am running through the same guide as I did my first Chromebox which went great. However, this time I am running into an error on step 4.

Download and run the ChromeBox setup script with the commands:
curl -L -O http://goo.gl/3Tfu5W
sudo bash 3Tfu5W

After entering the sudo bash 3Tfu5W command I receive the error: 3tfu5w: no such file or directory. I have tried the other url as well resulting in the same error, I also verified internet connectivity in the console. It appears that the link in the script it downloads from is not available? Has anyone else had this issue as of recently? I saw someone else had this issue prior a few months ago but I did not see a resolution. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

something's up with your internet connection that the script isn't getting downloaded; curl should be giving you some sort of indication of the error I'd think. I just tested it here so no issues server-side
Thanks for the quick reply, I'll try again tonight from scratch when I'm home and see if i get anything different. Strange that the curl command ran successfully and grabbed the cbox-kodi.sh successfully though, I'll also check to see if maybe I overlooked an error from that.
(2015-07-22, 18:33)savagelemur Wrote: Thanks for the quick reply, I'll try again tonight from scratch when I'm home and see if i get anything different. Strange that the curl command ran successfully and grabbed the cbox-kodi.sh successfully though, I'll also check to see if maybe I overlooked an error from that.

or it could have been an intermittent connection issue with github, hard to say.
Wink 
(2014-07-10, 00:31)furii Wrote: i'd been following the haswell nuc thread for a while before finding out 2955u in the chromebox was a haswell chip and getting that instead. lmyllari did a lot of testing and bug squashing and i believe the same information should apply. that being:
(2013-12-05, 02:17)lmyllari Wrote: The banding comes from expanding luma from 16-235 to 0-255. This is done for typical PC monitors, which expect a full range signal. New Intel linux drivers by default give TVs a limited range signal, taking the expanded 0-255 and scaling it to 16-235. This does not eliminate the banding that was created by the original expansion, and original information below 16 and above 235 was already lost in that same step. (Why do they do it? It's the right thing according to the standards, and some TVs don't like full range -> crushed blacks.)

If the player software (xbmc in this case) decodes to 16-235 (meaning "don't change luminance, keep black at 16 and white at 235"), the video card outputs full range 0-255 (meaning "don't scale the levels, just output what you're given"), and display is set to limited range input (meaning "16 is black, 235 white"), we eliminate the banding in greyscale ramp (because the range is not scaled at any point) and keep blacker-than-black (luma values under 16) and white-than-white (luma values above 235).

If your plasma defaults to limited range RGB (and doesn't listen to the infoframes in the HDMI stream) or you can set limited range manually, you don't need anything special. Just set your player software to 16-235 (which you can now do with Gotham and software decoding) and make sure the video card doesn't change the signal (the xrandr broadcast range "Full" setting mentioned a lot in this thread). In my case, the monitor obeys the infoframes (and there are other devices connected to the same input preventing a manual setting), so I need a patch to switch it to limited range without altering the video signal.

so for my vt50 setting the range to full with the autostart script and then using the 16-235 setting within xbmc gives proper black and colors.

avsforum has a good set of calibration media you can use within xbmc here:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-displa...ation.html

Apologies for digging this up but i need some help. I have a Samsung JS9000 tv and Pioneer VSX 819( i know its old ) on my setup. An Asus chromebox is connected to the receiver and then to the tv. I tried the greyscale test pattern found on the wiki and i can see steps instead of a smooth picture. Everything in kodi and openelec is at default. HDMI black level on the tv is left to auto. Can anyone help me find/create this autostart.sh file that i cant find anywhere on my chromebox to try the full rgb setting? Thanks very much for the help.
Smile 
(2015-07-22, 03:01)bobrock55 Wrote: Hi,

I am trying to install LinuxMint on my new ChromeBox. I have followed instructions from this site and everything looks fine when I load LinuxMint from the USB. I can run things and no issues with the speed and stability....(not quite right, continue reading...)
From that point I wanted to install Mint and went until the installer is asking me to enter my name. To my horror, the USB keyboard is not responding....not a single button works....can't continue with the install.....r
I've changed the keyboard for another one but that one is even more colder than other.....can't type a single letter or number.

Just for the heck of it, I've loaded Ubuntu too...same thing...can run with mouse only but no keyboard function at all....

Any thoughts?

thank you
Bob

Well, out of 4 USB ports I found one able to drive my keyboard. LinuxMint installed and operational.
(2015-07-22, 23:31)ggp759 Wrote: Apologies for digging this up but i need some help. I have a Samsung JS9000 tv and Pioneer VSX 819( i know its old ) on my setup. An Asus chromebox is connected to the receiver and then to the tv. I tried the greyscale test pattern found on the wiki and i can see steps instead of a smooth picture. Everything in kodi and openelec is at default. HDMI black level on the tv is left to auto. Can anyone help me find/create this autostart.sh file that i cant find anywhere on my chromebox to try the full rgb setting? Thanks very much for the help.

there's a link on the ChromeBox wiki page with all the info you need. If you're running the OpenELEC/Kodi 15 beta, you might consider switching to one of the new VAAPI/EGL builds, as the PQ is much improved: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=231955. There's also instructions for the various video output settings.

(2015-07-22, 23:53)bobrock55 Wrote: Well, out of 4 USB ports I found one able to drive my keyboard. LinuxMint installed and operational.

Is this on a HP box by chance? I've never been able to reproduce this myself, but the few times I've seen users report this it always seems to be with an HP Chromebox
(2015-07-22, 23:59)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-07-22, 23:31)ggp759 Wrote: Apologies for digging this up but i need some help. I have a Samsung JS9000 tv and Pioneer VSX 819( i know its old ) on my setup. An Asus chromebox is connected to the receiver and then to the tv. I tried the greyscale test pattern found on the wiki and i can see steps instead of a smooth picture. Everything in kodi and openelec is at default. HDMI black level on the tv is left to auto. Can anyone help me find/create this autostart.sh file that i cant find anywhere on my chromebox to try the full rgb setting? Thanks very much for the help.

there's a link on the ChromeBox wiki page with all the info you need. If you're running the OpenELEC/Kodi 15 beta, you might consider switching to one of the new VAAPI/EGL builds, as the PQ is much improved: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=231955. There's also instructions for the various video output settings.

(2015-07-22, 23:53)bobrock55 Wrote: Well, out of 4 USB ports I found one able to drive my keyboard. LinuxMint installed and operational.

Is this on a HP box by chance? I've never been able to reproduce this myself, but the few times I've seen users report this it always seems to be with an HP Chromebox

Thanks for the answer. I took your suggestion and installed the dev build. Also looked at the wiki for the autostart.sh because i need it for the dev build. I used the nano command added the text i needed then saved and exit. When i browse the contents of the chromebox via samba there is no directory /.config. I can see a ConfigFiles directory that among others contains autostart.sh.save. At this point i dont know if the file is working. Also i dont know if i need to follow the structure inside the file that the wiki says or just write the command as found in the dev build thread for rgb full options. Sorry for bothering but i need someone to point in the write direction. I did search the wikis but still need some help. Greatly appreciated.
(2015-07-23, 02:08)ggp759 Wrote: Thanks for the answer. I took your suggestion and installed the dev build. Also looked at the wiki for the autostart.sh because i need it for the dev build. I used the nano command added the text i needed then saved and exit. When i browse the contents of the chromebox via samba there is no directory /.config. I can see a ConfigFiles directory that among others contains autostart.sh.save. At this point i dont know if the file is working. Also i dont know if i need to follow the structure inside the file that the wiki says or just write the command as found in the dev build thread for rgb full options. Sorry for bothering but i need someone to point in the write direction. I did search the wikis but still need some help. Greatly appreciated.

the ConfigFiles samba share maps to /storage/.config. Rename the file without the .save extension, then reboot. The contents of the autostart.sh file are the same in the wiki and the 2nd post of the dev build thread (minus the comment identifying the file as a bash script on the first line).
(2015-07-23, 02:08)ggp759 Wrote:
(2015-07-22, 23:59)Matt Devo Wrote:

Thanks for the answer. I took your suggestion and installed the dev build. Also looked at the wiki for the autostart.sh because i need it for the dev build. I used the nano command added the text i needed then saved and exit. When i browse the contents of the chromebox via samba there is no directory /.config. I can see a ConfigFiles directory that among others contains autostart.sh.save. At this point i dont know if the file is working. Also i dont know if i need to follow the structure inside the file that the wiki says or just write the command as found in the dev build thread for rgb full options. Sorry for bothering but i need someone to point in the write direction. I did search the wikis but still need some help. Greatly appreciated.

ASUS Chrome box.....

the same keyboard used for the firmware work but stopped working when USB booted linux distro (mint and ubuntu)
(2015-07-23, 02:17)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-07-23, 02:08)ggp759 Wrote: Thanks for the answer. I took your suggestion and installed the dev build. Also looked at the wiki for the autostart.sh because i need it for the dev build. I used the nano command added the text i needed then saved and exit. When i browse the contents of the chromebox via samba there is no directory /.config. I can see a ConfigFiles directory that among others contains autostart.sh.save. At this point i dont know if the file is working. Also i dont know if i need to follow the structure inside the file that the wiki says or just write the command as found in the dev build thread for rgb full options. Sorry for bothering but i need someone to point in the write direction. I did search the wikis but still need some help. Greatly appreciated.

the ConfigFiles samba share maps to /storage/.config. Rename the file without the .save extension, then reboot. The contents of the autostart.sh file are the same in the wiki and the 2nd post of the dev build thread (minus the comment identifying the file as a bash script on the first line).

Thanks a lot for clearing this up. Now its working.
So seems like every couple times I do one of these I get stuck somewhere. I am stuck on the Sea bios booting from hard disk. This has happened before but it always seems like if I hit esc 2 fast enough it works. Can't get it to work this time. Its not keyboard Or usb I don't believe. Can anyone help. Thanks so much.
(2015-07-24, 05:28)abc123doeraymej Wrote: So seems like every couple times I do one of these I get stuck somewhere. I am stuck on the Sea bios booting from hard disk. This has happened before but it always seems like if I hit esc 2 fast enough it works. Can't get it to work this time. Its not keyboard Or usb I don't believe. Can anyone help. Thanks so much.

you've haven't told us what you're doing / trying to do, and have ruled out the cause which affects 99% of cases (without providing any reasoning for doing so), so unfortunately don't think we can help.
I was loading kodi on an Asus chromebox through your helpful coding. I got it to work, just can't figure out why after I reboot and hit esc 2 it doesn't usually work right away. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I get stuck on that booting from hard disk. Anyway it worked so I guess it doesn't matter.
  • 331(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37