• 345(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
Did anyone manage to use javascript to let it type commands to the crosh/shell? This could be a handy way to store shell scripts on a button.
(2015-08-22, 14:10)nickr Wrote: The hold up on OE is due to a remote control problem that many users are experiencing, but the development cannot reproduce, and therefore can't fix.

However there is a beta 4 (5.95.4) due this weekend apparently. It will contain kodi 15.1.

Does anyone know if this beta is going to include a fix for that fan speed problem?
Odroid C2 running CoreElec
(2015-08-23, 13:06)BoxFreak Wrote:
(2015-08-22, 14:10)nickr Wrote: The hold up on OE is due to a remote control problem that many users are experiencing, but the development cannot reproduce, and therefore can't fix.

However there is a beta 4 (5.95.4) due this weekend apparently. It will contain kodi 15.1.

Does anyone know if this beta is going to include a fix for that fan speed problem?

proberly not. it seems to be a kernal issue so it's not in the power of the openelec developers. as far as i know the patch didn't event get pushed to the kernel yet..
also i am running a build from the latest openelec sources and besides from the kodi update there is not much difference..

@matt Devo i have got a problem. i install the custom firmware an installed openelc. it was verry hard to get to the boot menu whn installing openelec but now i wanted to switch to ubuntu and there is no way i am able to boot from usb. it's just way to fast. i am starting to bash the escape button before pressingn the power button on the box but it just wont work. between bressing the power button and the openelec logo there are about 1-2sec time. any tipps?
i am using a usb keyboard so that souldn't be a problem right?

Edit: got it working with a different usb stick (both were usb 2).. but after installing ubuntu server 15.04 it wouldn't boot. it got stuck at booting from hard disk.
i give up for now.. i will try again when i have more time..
(2015-08-23, 09:57)duncspur Wrote: I have Chrome/XBMC Gotham on a dual boot. I want to upgrade to Kodi. Is there a quick way/wiki page to do this or do I have to uninstall everything and start again?

do a manual update from 4.x to 5.08, then from 5.08 to 5.95.3. If you have issues, do a hard reset. Instructions are on the OpenELEC wiki and linked to from the ChromeBox wiki.

(2015-08-23, 13:06)BoxFreak Wrote: Does anyone know if this beta is going to include a fix for that fan speed problem?

I do not believe so, but I leave my box on 24/7 so not really a problem for me.

(2015-08-23, 14:18)michi_jl Wrote: @matt Devo i have got a problem. i install the custom firmware an installed openelc. it was verry hard to get to the boot menu whn installing openelec but now i wanted to switch to ubuntu and there is no way i am able to boot from usb. it's just way to fast. i am starting to bash the escape button before pressingn the power button on the box but it just wont work. between bressing the power button and the openelec logo there are about 1-2sec time. any tipps?
i am using a usb keyboard so that souldn't be a problem right?

RTFW
Hi Matt,

I have a problem. I tried to update from Dual boot to stand alone.

So i have installed coreboot. and backed up the original firmware.

Then i have installed the standalone setup in the ez script. But Kodi is stuck in a bootloop now.

I cant get in the ez script anymore. CTRL -D and CTRL -L gives both the memory fault screen. Tried many times but cant get in.

ESC does work and when i try to install openelec it gives cant acces TTY.

I didnt "restore to factory defaults in chromeos"

What can i do?

EDIT:

Found in the WIKI how to revert back to stock.... going to try that first.
(2015-08-24, 13:09)wackid Wrote: Hi Matt,

Then i have installed the standalone setup in the ez script. But Kodi is stuck in a bootloop now.

I cant get in the ez script anymore. CTRL -D and CTRL -L gives both the memory fault screen. Tried many times but cant get in.

What can i do?

EDIT:

wait, what, why? sigh.

Everything is working fine. You can't run the script from OpenELEC (it doesn't have a full bash shell - why is why there is a separate firmware update script for OpenELEC users), and CTRL-D/CTRL-L only work with the stock firmware. OpenELEC doesn't have a local tty, you have to ssh in.

edit: to reinstall OpenELEC, all you have to do is boot the USB installer and reinstall from there. But I'm guessing clearing out the Kodi data via ssh would be sufficient.
(2015-08-24, 16:14)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-08-24, 13:09)wackid Wrote: Hi Matt,

What can i do?

EDIT:

wait, what, why? sigh.

Everything is working fine. You can't run the script from OpenELEC (it doesn't have a full bash shell - why is why there is a separate firmware update script for OpenELEC users), and CTRL-D/CTRL-L only work with the stock firmware. OpenELEC doesn't have a local tty, you have to ssh in.

edit: to reinstall OpenELEC, all you have to do is boot the USB installer and reinstall from there. But I'm guessing clearing out the Kodi data via ssh would be sufficient.
That's why I have said "edit" ... You didn't have to respond. But thanks though, Figure out myself Wink

The problem was the Hdmi handshake. When I wanted to boot from ubuntu. After firmware restore. The screen was black. So I thought it was bricked.
I have pushed in "in the black" on Esc, 2, enter. And there was Ubuntu.

After that Openelec install gave a problem. On a shitty usb stick.

But I am there... Standalone is working.

But.... The sleepmode (the reason I revert to stand-alone) is still a problem. It wakes up automatically.

I will post a log later on?
(2015-08-25, 06:48)wackid Wrote: That's why I have said "edit" ... You didn't have to respond. But thanks though, Figure out myself Wink

The problem was the Hdmi handshake. When I wanted to boot from ubuntu. After firmware restore. The screen was black. So I thought it was bricked.
I have pushed in "in the black" on Esc, 2, enter. And there was Ubuntu.

After that Openelec install gave a problem. On a shitty usb stick.

But I am there... Standalone is working.

But.... The sleepmode (the reason I revert to stand-alone) is still a problem. It wakes up automatically.

I will post a log later on?

then disconnect all peripherals until you figure out which one is causing the wakeup, or look in the kernel log (dmesg) to see which device caused it. The ChromeBox itself has no issues with suspend/resume under OpenELEC (ignoring the high fan speed on resume, which is a kernel bug/issue)
(2015-08-22, 02:48)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-08-22, 02:40)TDB73 Wrote: Thanks for the reply. I have chromium installed just doesn't want to work

what does that mean? I just installed it from the OpenELEC unofficial add-ons repo, and it works fine (on 5.95.3 / VAAPI test builds)

I first installed chromium from an online download not the unofficial add-ons repo and it wouldn't launch. So I un installed and re installed from the repo and its working perfectly now.
in script installer what about the option to leave to choose oe standard or fritsch oe ?
New to the world of Kodi so be gentle. Also don't know much about linux either

Just bought an Asus Chromebox i3, a 128gb ssd, and flirc. I want to run standalone Openelec. Just wanna clarify a couple things before I start.

1. Do I have to install factory chrome on the new ssd in order to get into developer mode before I start the process of using ez script? Or is it possible to install Openelec fresh on the new ssd and be done?

2. Wanna make sure I can take write screw out when I swap the ssd, or does that need to be done late?

3. Once I get into ez script, I'll need to run option 6 then 7 then reboot, right? Then at reboot hit escape and boot from the USB drive to install open elec.

Appreciate the help! Kodi seems to have an amazing community.
(2015-08-25, 18:19)Roby77 Wrote: in script installer what about the option to leave to choose oe standard or fritsch oe ?

it's trivial to upgrade from 5.95.x to Fritsch's EGL VAAPI build, so anyone who wants to can do so. I'm going to stick with the official builds for the script, for now.

(2015-08-25, 18:39)BigT504 Wrote: New to the world of Kodi so be gentle. Also don't know much about linux either

Just bought an Asus Chromebox i3, a 128gb ssd, and flirc. I want to run standalone Openelec. Just wanna clarify a couple things before I start.

1. Do I have to install factory chrome on the new ssd in order to get into developer mode before I start the process of using ez script? Or is it possible to install Openelec fresh on the new ssd and be done?

2. Wanna make sure I can take write screw out when I swap the ssd, or does that need to be done late?

3. Once I get into ez script, I'll need to run option 6 then 7 then reboot, right? Then at reboot hit escape and boot from the USB drive to install open elec.

Appreciate the help! Kodi seems to have an amazing community.

you should do the following in order:

1) follow all instructions to remove WP screw, put the box in dev mode, and run script to update firmware and create install media
2) power off, install larger SSD
3) power on, boot from USB, install OE on larger SSD
Thanks for the quick response! Crystal clear now. Awesome work you do.
I have my chromebox dual booted with Windows 10 and Ubuntu. Right now the bios is set to boot from usb first but I want it to boot from the ssd first now. I tried running the script from Ubuntu but is doesn't seem to work right. Do I have to do it from ChromeOS or is there a work around?

oops. just looked at it again. chromeos option only. bummer
(2015-08-27, 03:01)JohnnyC35 Wrote: I have my chromebox dual booted with Windows 10 and Ubuntu. Right now the bios is set to boot from usb first but I want it to boot from the ssd first now. I tried running the script from Ubuntu but is doesn't seem to work right. Do I have to do it from ChromeOS or is there a work around?

oops. just looked at it again. chromeos option only. bummer

if you installed my standalone firmware, just re-run the script (or the OpenELEC standalone firmware updater) from Ubuntu and don't select the USB priority boot option
  • 345(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37