• 362(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
How is the Steam OS / OpenELEC dualboot situation?
Currently I'm a happy user of the OpenELEC + Kodi only, but I love the idea of Steam Streaming and I wonder if there is already a solution to have it both.
(2015-10-12, 21:37)stoickov Wrote: How is the Steam OS / OpenELEC dualboot situation?
Currently I'm a happy user of the OpenELEC + Kodi only, but I love the idea of Steam Streaming and I wonder if there is already a solution to have it both.

same as OE + any other Linux: fairly easily done, and working since day 1.

Assuming you have a standalone OE setup now, you should be able to resize the OE 'storage' partition to make room for SteamOS. I can't recall if the SteamOS installer will do this automatically or not, or if you need to use something like PartedMagic to do it ahead of time. After installing SteamOS, you'll probably need to add a GRUB entry for OE, which is described in the OE wiki for setting up a dual boot. Then you can set OE to be the default OS, and use the 'reboot to other OS' OE addon to easily reboot to SteamOS from OE, and then reboot to OE when done. There's nothing ChromeBox-specific about this type of setup, it's the same as any other PC, and the OE forums are likely your best source of info/support for it.

If you don't have a standalone setup now, then backup your OE config, flash the standalone firmware, then follow the dual boot instructions on their wiki (which involve installing the 'other OS'/SteamOS first I believe, otherwise same as above)
Thanks for the brief instruction, however I think it's a little too brief for me to perform the process successfully.
If I try to follow your instruction, I fail at the first task - how much disc space is needed for each (official requirement is 500+ GB)?

While doing some extra research I have noticed a lot of questions about that particular configuration (OpenELEC/Kodi + SteamOS), but not many daredevils who tried that and succeeded completely. I couldn't find a complete guide (for a semi-noob).
There seems to be some issues with missing MAC and libva, so I think I'll have to wait until a guide similar to yours appears (a new chapter maybe?)
(2015-10-13, 02:55)stoickov Wrote: Thanks for the brief instruction, however I think it's a little too brief for me to perform the process successfully.
If I try to follow your instruction, I fail at the first task - how much disc space is needed for each (official requirement is 500+ GB)?

While doing some extra research I have noticed a lot of questions about that particular configuration (OpenELEC/Kodi + SteamOS), but not many daredevils who tried that and succeeded completely. I couldn't find a complete guide (for a semi-noob).
There seems to be some issues with missing MAC and libva, so I think I'll have to wait until a guide similar to yours appears (a new chapter maybe?)

I installed on a 128GB SSD, but you could probably make it work with the stock 16GB SSD (I know SteamOS will install just fine by itself on the stock SSD). I had no issues with a missing MAC address or anything like that. I could do a full write-up, but I just don't have the time currently, and there's not much that could be automated via script so a lot of typing things out.
Having an issue where my wired Ethernet connection is not working. Anyone ever have this happen?
(2015-10-13, 17:12)TDB73 Wrote: Having an issue where my wired Ethernet connection is not working. Anyone ever have this happen?

you have to give us more than that. From the top of the first post, in bold:

Quote:When reporting a problem, be sure to include whether you are running a standalone or dual boot setup, date stamp from SeaBIOS version string, OS / OS version, and kernel version (if not running OpenELEC).
(2015-10-13, 18:27)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-10-13, 17:12)TDB73 Wrote: Having an issue where my wired Ethernet connection is not working. Anyone ever have this happen?

you have to give us more than that. From the top of the first post, in bold:

Quote:When reporting a problem, be sure to include whether you are running a standalone or dual boot setup, date stamp from SeaBIOS version string, OS / OS version, and kernel version (if not running OpenELEC).

1-Ok I will make sure to do that next time

2-Im running a duel boot openelec set up
Matt, thanks very much for this. After struggling with Kodi & Windows forever, I got the ASUS M004U Chromebox, ran your script, and now have the Kodi set top box experience I've been looking for, with 24p & HD Audio passthru (actually in-sync too!). I have 2 quick questions if you don't mind:

When I was running the installer, it gave me an option for just the stable build or access to nightly builds. I selected "stable", I'm guessing why it installed OpenELEC 5.0.8 and Kodi 14.2 final, correct? (I checked the version history on the first page). No problem or issues, just curious.

It's played every file type I've thrown at it except one....DTS .wav files (WAV files ripped from old DTS CD's). Works fine in Windows, but just digital noise on the KodI Chromebox. Known issue? Again, not a big deal, just curious.

Thanks again!
I have the asus chromebox
I installed openelec back in feb 2015
I remember the curl command http goo.gl 3Tfu5W etc.
When i connect External disks, they kinda keep running.
Is there a way to get them to sleep when kodi falls asleep ?
(2015-10-14, 21:46)Karnis Wrote: Matt, thanks very much for this. After struggling with Kodi & Windows forever, I got the ASUS M004U Chromebox, ran your script, and now have the Kodi set top box experience I've been looking for, with 24p & HD Audio passthru (actually in-sync too!). I have 2 quick questions if you don't mind:

When I was running the installer, it gave me an option for just the stable build or access to nightly builds. I selected "stable", I'm guessing why it installed OpenELEC 5.0.8 and Kodi 14.2 final, correct? (I checked the version history on the first page). No problem or issues, just curious.

yes, stable is currently OE 5.0.8 / Kodi 14.2, beta is OE 5.95.5 / Kodi 15.2 RC. You can update easily by downloading the update file from OE's website and following the instructions there.

Quote:It's played every file type I've thrown at it except one....DTS .wav files (WAV files ripped from old DTS CD's). Works fine in Windows, but just digital noise on the KodI Chromebox. Known issue? Again, not a big deal, just curious.

Thanks again!

not a known issue that I'm aware of, but haven't tested it explicitly recently. Got a link to a sample file I can test?

(2015-10-14, 22:02)sixburgh Wrote: I have the asus chromebox
I installed openelec back in feb 2015
I remember the curl command http goo.gl 3Tfu5W etc.
When i connect External disks, they kinda keep running.
Is there a way to get them to sleep when kodi falls asleep ?

that's something that's likely a function of OpenELEC and the drives themselves, not the ChromeBox. I'd update to the latest OE, and if that does't fix it, ask on the OE forums and/or IRC support channel
Hi, I think I goofed and wondering if someone can help me.

I have a chromebox ( 2955U) Trying to install openelec/kodi on standalone to boot from ssd

I followed the instructions to disable firmware write protect, put into developer mode, ran the The EZ setup script and selected option 7 to install media to a usb stick.

I also went through and chose option 6 and installed the custom coreboot firmware onto another usb stick.

When i went through the custom coreboot firmware, I think i hit the option to boot from SSD( think i should have chose to boot with usb first to boot and install openelec?) but now all I get when i power on is a black screen.

Maybe i didn't read enough.. =-/

Can someone help me or point me in the direction to look how to fix this ?

**Edit** I fixed my problem by plugging in the chromebox to a tv instead of a computer monitor. I was greeted with the boot screen and successfully installed openelec/kodi.
(2015-10-14, 22:09)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-10-14, 21:46)Karnis Wrote: It's played every file type I've thrown at it except one....DTS .wav files (WAV files ripped from old DTS CD's). Works fine in Windows, but just digital noise on the KodI Chromebox. Known issue? Again, not a big deal, just curious.

Thanks again!

not a known issue that I'm aware of, but haven't tested it explicitly recently. Got a link to a sample file I can test?

Steve Miller_Fly Like An Eagle_DTS 5.1
(2015-10-14, 23:00)Karnis Wrote: Steve Miller_Fly Like An Eagle_DTS 5.1

I'm able to reproduce that here, and unfortunately it's no better in OE 5.95.5/Kodi 15.2 RC, where it's simply marked as unplayable and skipped. Even encoding as FLAC as suggested elsewhere doesn't help. Seems like the DTS header isn't being recognized/respected.
(2015-10-11, 04:01)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-10-10, 23:01)RichAggie Wrote: I am dual booting (though I have never booted into ChromeOS after day 1). I was referring to the beep beep before the 30 second delay to boot.
Are you able to boot ChromeOS via CTRL-D on the device mode boot screen?

It seems to be an issue with the TV. The chromebox boots fine on other TV's. I have have a Vizio P70 (same as someone earlier in this thread who also had an issue). Funny thing is it has worked great for months on this TV. I've tried all the HDMI inputs. I don't know what to try next.
(2015-10-15, 04:27)RichAggie Wrote: It seems to be an issue with the TV. The chromebox boots fine on other TV's. I have have a Vizio P70 (same as someone earlier in this thread who also had an issue). Funny thing is it has worked great for months on this TV. I've tried all the HDMI inputs. I don't know what to try next.

so wait, the box works fine on other displays, just not your 4K Vizio? In that case, the problem and solution are the same as I posted earlier as well - just set the output resolution and refresh rate via an autostart script.
  • 362(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37