• 408(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
(2016-02-17, 09:15)Boulder Wrote: Is it possible to upgrade the CPU itself? Just wondering.. Smile

no, Intel -U CPUs are essentially SoCs - all the chips (CPU, GPU, PCH, etc) are on the same die, and not socketed.
Opened the box. Disconnected the fan. Took off the electric tape. Made sure all the wires were ok. Plugged the fan back in. Turned on the box. Fan works perfectly. Lol wow

Question though. Why is the plastic piece next to the WP screw even there? What purpose is it serving? I couldn't figure out how to put it back in, so I'm about to close the box without it.

Edit: Nevermind, I just put it back in.
Hi guys. Noob here with hopefully a simple question.

I have a Asus chromebox M075U.

I used the ez script to install openelec and kodi last summer. I was trying to update my openelec 5.0.8 using the file OpenELEC-Generic.x86_64-6.0.198-IntelEGL.tar.

I saw some instructions that said to access the box through a web browser and drop the tar file into the upgrade share folder. But when I got to the ip address of my box I only see a generic Kodi screen with "profiles, remote, movies, tv shows, and music" as options.

So instead I enabled SSH and then used SCP to copy the file to the /storage/.update folder.

I then rebooted the chromebox. I saw text at the top left of the screen that said it found a new tar file, and then a few update messages (it was quick so I didn't catch it all) and then it booted.

But when I got to my system settings it still shows openelec 5.0.8.

I assume I'm just being ignorant, but is there anything obvious I should understand. There's a lot of info when I google but I haven't found anything useful yet.

Thanks for any thoughts!
I need to check, but OE 6.0.1 increased the size of the first partition, so it could be running into that. If so, the easiest remedy will be to back up via the built-in utility, install 6.0.198 fresh, and then restore your backup.

You might also want to wait a few hours until I update with an OE 7.0 beta (with Kodi 16-RC3) and start there instead Smile
(2016-02-17, 23:28)Matt Devo Wrote: I need to check, but OE 6.0.1 increased the size of the first partition, so it could be running into that. If so, the easiest remedy will be to back up via the built-in utility, install 6.0.198 fresh, and then restore your backup.

You might also want to wait a few hours until I update with an OE 7.0 beta (with Kodi 16-RC3) and start there instead Smile

As long as I'm going to be doing some playing around I have no problem waiting a few hours or even days! Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.
(2016-02-17, 23:33)DaveMike Wrote: As long as I'm going to be doing some playing around I have no problem waiting a few hours or even days! Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.

OP / script / wiki updated with OE 7.0 / Kodi 16-RC3 unofficial beta build Smile
Not a big deal, but the text on the first post has the most recent update second in the change list. I almost missed it. You might want to update it, as first glance makes it seem like the last change was on 2016-02-05.

Thanks again, I'll check this out after work today!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Version history
2016-02-05
- Fix OpenELEC dual boot system partition size error, introduced in previous update
2016-02-17
- Update OpenELEC to v7.0 beta (unofficial - 6.94.1)
- Update coreboot to latest upstream commit
- Update SeaBIOS to latest upstream commit
(2016-02-18, 00:41)DaveMike Wrote: Not a big deal, but the text on the first post has the most recent update second in the change list. I almost missed it. You might want to update it, as first glance makes it seem like the last change was on 2016-02-05.

fixed
I apologize for being dense, but I believe I need the image file to create an install medium for installing this new version fresh (and not the tar file). I'm following the guide to use wind32diskimager to create an install usb stick, but I can't seem to find the img file, only the update tar file. Is there a link to it somewhere at the start of this thread, or am I completely confused?

Thanks again.
Sorry, found it on the chromebox wiki page!

http://kodi.wiki/view/Chromebox
(2016-02-18, 00:22)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2016-02-17, 23:33)DaveMike Wrote: As long as I'm going to be doing some playing around I have no problem waiting a few hours or even days! Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.

OP / script / wiki updated with OE 7.0 / Kodi 16-RC3 unofficial beta build Smile

Erm, does your "Kodi 16-RC3 unofficial beta build" contain fritsch's / fernet's EGL improvements, too, by any chance?
(2016-02-18, 01:17)M4tt0 Wrote: Erm, does your "Kodi 16-RC3 unofficial beta build" contain fritsch's / fernet's EGL improvements, too, by any chance?

no, as there's no EGL implementation, or even partial work, done for Kodi 16. fritsch moved right to v17 since there were a lot of other related improvements to the rendering engine that weren't going to make the cut for v16, so it made no sense to use the v16 renderer as a base. The EGL implementation we got for Kodi 15.2 was just a tech preview / proof of concept that happened to be stable enough for daily use. People are welcome to use / help test the v17 test builds from fritsch and Millhouse (which all use EGL), but need to understand that things are still in flux and therefore things can and will break from time to time.
(2016-02-18, 01:25)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2016-02-18, 01:17)M4tt0 Wrote: Erm, does your "Kodi 16-RC3 unofficial beta build" contain fritsch's / fernet's EGL improvements, too, by any chance?

no, as there's no EGL implementation, or even partial work, done for Kodi 16. fritsch moved right to v17 since there were a lot of other related improvements to the rendering engine that weren't going to make the cut for v16, so it made no sense to use the v16 renderer as a base. The EGL implementation we got for Kodi 15.2 was just a tech preview / proof of concept that happened to be stable enough for daily use. People are welcome to use / help test the v17 test builds from fritsch and Millhouse (which all use EGL), but need to understand that things are still in flux and therefore things can and will break from time to time.

Yes, have been following what fritsch and fernet are doing. Can't go bleeding edge in my living room unfortunately. Was hoping you ported the tech preview patches to a stable v16, but understand that this is not at all straightforward. Thanks for clarifying, Matt.
(2016-02-18, 01:34)M4tt0 Wrote: Yes, have been following what fritsch and fernet are doing. Can't go bleeding edge in my living room unfortunately. Was hoping you ported the tech preview patches to a stable v16, but understand that this is not at all straightforward. Thanks for clarifying, Matt.

v17 is too far along / already mostly stable, so it doesn't make sense to expend the effort to backport to v16, even if it were technically feasible. I'm putting out these v16 builds mainly for people who have multiple Kodi clients and need/want to maintain them all on the same version (eg, for db synchronization). I'll personally be sticking with 6.0.198 / 15.2 until v17 has reached at least beta status.
(2016-02-18, 01:39)Matt Devo Wrote: v17 is too far along / already mostly stable, so it doesn't make sense to expend the effort to backport to v16, even if it were technically feasible. I'm putting out these v16 builds mainly for people who have multiple Kodi clients and need/want to maintain them all on the same version (eg, for db synchronization). I'll personally be sticking with 6.0.198 / 15.2 until v17 has reached at least beta status.

Yes, will do the same. Gee, fernet and fritsch have really spoiled us with that "tech preview". Tough to remain patient... ;-) Cheers, Matt
  • 408(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37