• 447(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
(2016-06-19, 22:34)jasn Wrote: Yikes! I haven't been on these pages in months, now see that Kodibuntu is getting left behind.

Matt, I've been doing a lot of reading here and a bit more at the Wiki, but are there instructions somewhere explaining how I convert my Asus box from standalone Kodibuntu to standalone LibreELEC? It's not obvious to me from your first post and I'd liek to avoid going al the way back to square one if I can.

Thx!
Kodibuntu hasn't been updated since 14.x, so yeah it's practically abandoned at this point. fritsch has a writeup on the Linux support forum for a DIY Kodibuntu based on Ubuntu 16.04 server, but it's not quite as functional as the previous premade distro.

If you want to switch to LibreELEC, simply create the install media, boot it, and do a quick install, which will format the ssd and wipe out Kodibuntu. You can use any number of addons to back up your userdata beforehand and restore it afterwards
Thanks for the help and quick response Matt.
If you have settings or media you want to keep, back them up to an external hard drive or network share.

Put in the libreelec install USB stick.

Boot from USB.

Install.

Libreelec will be installed and kodibuntu will be overwritten.

[ooops sorry didn't see that MattDevo had replied over the page!]
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Thank you too nickr. I always like to see helpers around this wonderful product.
(2016-05-09, 02:35)Matt Devo Wrote: As per the wiki, if you're getting the boot menu prompt but not able to bring up the menu, it's a keyboard issue; if the menu isn't showing, it's your USB stick.

Also, you need to boot a Linux live USB to run the firmware utility script and restore the stock firmware *before* using the ChromeOS recovery media (since it won't do squat without the stock firmware loaded)

"Search" is my friend... Wink Saved me asking MAtt another question. I'm all set. Thx.
First let me say that I don't post here unless I have a problem that I can't figure out on my own. I've been using a Asus Chromebox for two year now, with no issues. The TVs I use is a 720p set, it's been doing a great job playing 1080p content from the Chromebox.

I decided to upgrade to LE 7.0.1 rather than wait for OE to update. Everything went smoothly, with the exception of 1080p playback. Every 1080p file I would play would overscan. I tried changing the settings on Kodi and I even looked at my TVs settings, shouldn't need to adjust the TV it's been fine for 2 years. Nothing I tried worked. I did a fresh reinstall of LE, and that fixed my problem. Next I changed some of the video settings according to the Wiki. BOOM overscan on 1080p videos.

It turns out changing Playback: Adjust display refresh rate to anything other than off, the default, would produce overscan on my TV. I must have had this setting turned on when I originally set up OE, and after the upgrade to LE 7.0.1 it was no longer a compatible.

Just wanted to report my findings in case any else has the same issue, all the other recommended setting work fine. Cool
(2016-06-20, 23:57)YellowDog Wrote: It turns out changing Playback: Adjust display refresh rate to anything other than off, the default, would produce overscan on my TV. I must have had this setting turned on when I originally set up OE, and after the upgrade to LE 7.0.1 it was no longer a compatible.

all that means is that your TV is using a different overscan mode (not just scan/perfect pixel) at the refresh rate being switched to (likely 24p) when you're playing back your content; previously you had set it for the refresh rate used by the GUI (50/60Hz) and w/o the 'Adjust refresh rate' being set, it was used for video playabck as well. Simply adjusting the overscan mode to whatever results in a 1:1 pixel mapping during playback should fix the issue, and is preferable to not auto-adjusting the refresh rate as it will introduce judder on 24p content.
script update 2016-06-26:

- Update LibreELEC to 7.0.2 (stable) and 7.90.002 (8.0 alpha 2)
- other minor script fixes/improvements unrelated to Kodi
I'm one of those guys that has to have the latest firmware... So I tried to update. First, it says I have the latest 2016-04-18. I tell it to update anyway and it gives a checksum error:

Code:
LibreELECTheater:~ # curl -L -O http://mrchromebox.tech/cbox-firmware-update.sh
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100   178  100   178    0     0    397      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--   398
100   178  100   178    0     0    228      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--  1194
100   263    0   263    0     0    300      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--   300
100  6493  100  6493    0     0   5989      0  0:00:01  0:00:01 --:--:--  5989
LibreELECTheater:~ # bash cbox-firmware-update.sh

ChromeBox Firmware Updater v1.8
(c) Matt Devo <[email protected]>

!! WARNING !!
This firmware is only valid for Haswell-based Asus/HP/Acer/Dell
ChromeBoxes with Celeron 2955U/2957U, Core i3-4010U/4030U, Core i7-4600U CPUs
which are already running my custom coreboot firmware.
Use on any other device will almost certainly brick it.

Do you wish to continue? [y/N] y

Checking if update available...

You already have the latest firmware (20160418)

Would you like to install anyway? [y/N] y

Install "headless" firmware? This is only needed for servers
running without a connected display. [y/N]

Default to booting from any connected USB device? If N, always boot from the internal SSD unless selected from boot menu. [y/N]

Add PXE network booting capability? (This is not needed for by most users) [y/N]

Reading current firmware

Downloading coreboot firmware

coreboot firmware download checksum fail; download corrupted, cannot flash.
LibreELECTheater:~ #

Anything I should be doing differently? I am using putty from a windows 10 machine...

-Darren
Means I forgot to update the file for the standalone updater script, will fix shortly

edit: should be fixed now
(2016-06-27, 03:13)Matt Devo Wrote: Means I forgot to update the file for the standalone updater script, will fix shortly

edit: should be fixed now

I've tried to a few times and keep getting the following:
Code:
Downloading coreboot firmware

coreboot firmware download checksum fail; download corrupted, cannot flash.
Ok I'll have to take a closer look after I make dinner

Sent from my Nexus 5X
Making awesome firmware for our Chromeboxes and dinner too! #CookingWithMattDevo
ok fixed for reals - had the wrong date for the Chromebox firmware
That did it. As always, thanks for your support of these awesome little boxes!

-Darren
  • 447(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37