• 459(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
(2016-08-14, 20:14)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2016-08-14, 19:55)jacko5 Wrote: Matt,
Got something happening.
Changed the 2 ram memory chips in the samsung chromebox and now i have something on screen,
What does this mean ?

it means that it's alive and you just need to install LibreELEC from USB. It's trying to boot ChromeOS off the SSD, but can't do that with the new custom firmware, only Linux.

Matt,
Ok i have put the latest libreelec image onto a usb flash drive and put it into the usb on the chromebox, when i boot it up
i get the same screen as above.
I only have a bluetooth keyboard with a usb dongle thing with it.
Bluetooth or not, if it doesn't work when you press ESC for the boot menu then you need to use a different one
Matt,
I have tried another usb keyboard, its works now.
I have 2 usb flash drives.
When i put a librelec image file on any of them it says on screen no operating system found.
I have tried a librelec img file and also the files that your software made to my usb flash drive when flashing your coreboot software via the chromebox.
Can you direct me to a image or files to put onto any of my usb flash drives.
Sorry about this.
Matt,
Got it working now mate.
It must have been a bad image on the USB Flash drive.
I made another Libreelec USB disk and it flashed 100% ok.
Many thanks for all your help ;-)
(2016-08-14, 22:08)jacko5 Wrote: Matt,
Got it working now mate.
It must have been a bad image on the USB Flash drive.
I made another Libreelec USB disk and it flashed 100% ok.
Many thanks for all your help ;-)

glad to hear it wasn't a bad flash, and that you got everything sorted Smile
Thanks! That's exactly what I got happen to have $60 worth eBay gift cards laying around so that deal and decided to jump on it. I have been watching the Asus box for a while and I missed out on the Newegg deal of 115 last year

(2016-08-14, 19:22)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2016-08-14, 14:55)darby427 Wrote: I just picked up a lenovo chrombox - 10H50003US - celeron 3205 for very cheap so I figured I dont have much to lose to see if I can get kodi working on it. Based on what I have read it should work - anyone have any experiences with it?

My current pc that I am using for kodi has seen better days (core2 duo 8300 / nvidia 430) most usb ports dont work, the video card fan is shot and starts to overheat and for some reason I lost bitstreaming of the DTS MA track - always defaults to the DTS core.

works perfectly as a Kodi box using the instructions here. A great deal at $109 shipped from Newegg on ebay at the moment as well.
Surely you have access to one usb wired keyboard?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2016-08-14, 09:53)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2016-08-14, 02:16)robca Wrote: I changed as per your suggestion the video settings to 1080i/29.97 (since the mpeg video is encoded that way: here's the analysis of the video I played: http://pastebin.com/BFiUspyx). After changing he settings, the frequency of the problem has decreased dramatically (from a couple of times every 2 hours to once in 3-4), but it's still there... Did I change the right settings?

Kodi's output resolution should be 1080p59.97 (or 60). 1080i60 content needs to be deinterlaced to 1080p60, not do some weird field drops to get 1080p30. Ensure

while the video is playing, bring up the video settings menu and set Deinterlacing to auto, type to Motion Compensated, and scaling to Bilinear; then save as default at the bottom of the settings menu.

Thanks again for looking into this. I changed the output to 1080p58.94, and deinterlacing to Motion Compensated (VAAPI). The problem got much worse, happening roughly three times as frequently. Reverting deinterlacing back to Auto Select makes things better (still freezes from time to time, but same as before). With motion compensated once I could not recover from the problem (had to reboot, otherwise no video would play no matter what I tried), another time Kodi restarted behind the scenes (black screen with a mouse pointer, Kodi startup screen, then back to the home page UI)

I noticed that when the video freezes, if I press Display I get a debugging-like display overlayed, and that shows one of the 2 CPUs pegged at 100%, the other around 10-15%. Most frequently it's CPU1, but can also be CPU0 pegged. During normal playback, both CPUs hover between 8% and 20%, roughly, and while fast forwarding 16x, both are around 30-40%

Anything else worth trying?
what's the video format / decoder being used? take a screenshot with the codec window up
(2016-08-15, 00:56)Matt Devo Wrote: what's the video format / decoder being used? take a screenshot with the codec window up

Here it is

(2016-08-15, 05:13)robca Wrote: Here it is

looks good, there's nothing config wise that seems incorrect, which leads me to think it might be network related. can you copy a file to the Chromebox or USB and see if playback I better? You should be able to do full MCDI and have no drops/stuttering, I can here with similar sample files
(2016-08-15, 05:16)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2016-08-15, 05:13)robca Wrote: Here it is

looks good, there's nothing config wise that seems incorrect, which leads me to think it might be network related. can you copy a file to the Chromebox or USB and see if playback I better? You should be able to do full MCDI and have no drops/stuttering, I can here with similar sample files

The files are all local, stored on a USB 2.5" HDD.

If it were a connection problem, would it really peg once CPU to 100%? There's no stuttering: the video playback completely stops for 5-8 seconds, none of the payback buttons on the remote have any effect, and one oft the CPUs is 100% loaded. After 5-8 seconds, it returns to the list of recorded shows, and I can can restart playback from where it got interrupted

I'll try ad find another HDD to test with, but as I said there aren't any other problems with that HDD, so it's not my primary suspect
(2016-08-15, 16:17)robca Wrote: The files are all local, stored on a USB 2.5" HDD.

If it were a connection problem, would it really peg once CPU to 100%? There's no stuttering: the video playback completely stops for 5-8 seconds, none of the payback buttons on the remote have any effect, and one oft the CPUs is 100% loaded. After 5-8 seconds, it returns to the list of recorded shows, and I can can restart playback from where it got interrupted

I'll try ad find another HDD to test with, but as I said there aren't any other problems with that HDD, so it's not my primary suspect

I'm struggling to come up with a cause, and I'm unable to reproduce here. I even recorded the NBC feed from my HDHR and played it back over WiFi, with MCDI deinterlacing, and had 0 skips,0 drops, and no CPU spikes of any kind

can you boot the LE installer in live and mode and test a clean config?
(2016-08-16, 05:29)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2016-08-15, 16:17)robca Wrote: The files are all local, stored on a USB 2.5" HDD.

I'm struggling to come up with a cause, and I'm unable to reproduce here. I even recorded the NBC feed from my HDHR and played it back over WiFi, with MCDI deinterlacing, and had 0 skips,0 drops, and no CPU spikes of any kind

can you boot the LE installer in live and mode and test a clean config?

Will do as soon as I have a "free moment" on the Chromebox... right now that box is "mission critical" for my wife, even with the freezes: don't touch her Olympics Smile

For the moment, thanks for all the suggestions and time you are spending on this
What's the best file system to use for an external USB disk (it's a 500Gb 2.5" HDD connected with a USB-to-SATA adapter). Currently it's ExFAT (not sure why I chose that at the time, I read a lot of conflicting info on what's the best file system to use)

Should I use ext4 instead? Ideally I'd like to be able to also use that disk for Windows... how good is LibreElec's NTFS support (read and write)? I know I can install utilities to read ext4 on Windows, but not all my PCs have that installed

I wonder if ExFat can cause the freeze problems I'm seeing (but would be weird that recording is never affected), so I'm tryin gto eliminate all possible sources of problems
  • 459(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37