• 469(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
(2016-09-18, 23:59)plastik90 Wrote: Hey guys, I have a question regarding reinstalling Kodi on my Chromebox.
It's been a while since I used it and I cant remember the log in info for Kodi or terminal. What way I can completely start from scratch and wipe the whole thing?
if you have a standalone setup, just create new LibreELEC install media, boot it, and install. No need for anything terminal related.
Depends where kodi came from.

Openeelec: user:root pw:openelec
Libreelec: user:root pw:libreelec

Other OSes, not sure.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Isn't all this visible in the Open/Libreelec settings?
Dunno, but it is certainly findable via google.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Hello Mr.Chromebox and thank your for all of your hard work!

You have allowed me to turn what I thought to be a lemon buy, into an awesome quiet and stable machine used to watch kodi primairly with a few other things I still needed.

I started off with the standalone setup with libreelec and truly loved the almost instant boot into kodi. But found my self needing a browser, and really wanted remote access as well. So I swapped over to the dual boot with galliumos+chromium. Galliumos is my first experience (aside from the boot flash drive I needed to restore chromium on the chromebox lol) with Linux ever. I've dabbled with programming in the past in java and understand enough to know I need to not be careless in the terminal.

To the point sorry:

I am experiencing some flickering in Kodi. Doesn't happen with the actual video I watch but with the ui on just about any screen. (edit)

I understand that (edit) but thought since most of them will not know much about my os build/setup I had hoped ppl here would be more informed.
(2016-09-19, 14:18)usamac Wrote: But found my self needing a browser, and really wanted remote access as well.

I'll be beaten right now, but why not to install Windows in this case?

Pros:
1. RDP, browses, office, etc.
2. Intel's drivers are of higher quality. The box runs colder. It seems that interlaced VC1 will never be decoded under Linux.

Cons:
1. Boots longer (say, 30 sec instead of 6 sec).
2. Memory and SSD need to be upgraded.
3. Relatively difficult to install.
(2016-09-19, 14:45)bbsc Wrote:
(2016-09-19, 14:18)usamac Wrote: But found my self needing a browser, and really wanted remote access as well.

I'll be beaten right now, but why not to install Windows in this case?

Pros:
1. RDP, browses, office, etc.
2. Intel's drivers are of higher quality. The box runs colder. It seems that interlaced VC1 will never be decoded under Linux.

Cons:
1. Boots longer (say, 30 sec instead of 6 sec).
2. Memory and SSD need to be upgraded.
3. Relatively difficult to install.

You are right, the pros are nice.. but for me its about doing all of this for the cheapest price. I actually read extensively into running windows 10 (or 8) but found the predicament of hdmi sound not functioning and having to upgrade the ssd and possibly the ram to be out of the question for now. I chose instead to go with linux for the experience and because I can play/experiment without spending any additional funds. In the future I may explore the more expensive route, but for now it appears I can do all I want with linux, just have to learn how which was why I came back here for additional support apart from what I have already gained from these very informative threads.

I will say, I have yet to of gotten teamviewer to install properly but apparently google finally offered googe remote access.. which I have not explored yet.

Thanks for the input though!
(2016-09-19, 14:18)usamac Wrote: I am experiencing some flickering in Kodi. Doesn't happen with the actual video I watch but with the ui on just about any screen. I started fresh with AresWizard and used it to install Pulse build. It's my desire to duplicated this 'kodibox' setup on 3 other tv's in my house if I can iron out all of the kinks. My point here is im looking for the simplest way to do this multiple times, and the pulse build is relatively comprehensive for pretty much all users, wife/kids and other less tech savvy folks.

I understand that areswizard/pulse could be the source of my problem and intend to seek help there next if no one here can help me, but thought since most of them will not know much about my os build/setup I had hoped ppl here would be more informed.

I have no idea what ArezWizard/pulse build are (or if they can even be discussed here), or how they might be affecting your setup. Since you're running GalliumOS, those folks might be able to help you better; their subreddit and IRC channel are the best avenues for support.

(2016-09-19, 15:42)usamac Wrote: I will say, I have yet to of gotten teamviewer to install properly but apparently google finally offered googe remote access.. which I have not explored yet.

teamviewer 11 works fine under GalliumOS, just download the 64-bit deb and install
Hope I didn't break the rules, I was honestly just trying to give as much detail as possible to weed out what might be the source of my issue. Tough for me to tell because all of it, including Kodi are rather new to me. Lots of new expriences on my part, and honestly I've tried hard not to seek out advice, but am a bit stumped on the flickering.

I will attempt teamviewer again later when I get home from work, but I did try to install straight from their website, but am not sure I tried the 64bit unless that is all that is offered by default. I just know that the package installer would not install the version of teamviwer I downloaded, which appeared to be the one I needed. I should be seeking the version for ubuntu correct?
On their site there was not one specifically for galliumos.

thanks
Hi everyone I am totally new to this forum and I am not sure if this is the correct place to ask my question. I have been using openelec on my chrome box from last 2 years and yesterday I was trying to manually update the openelec and selected a wrong tar file for a rpi. Whenever I turn my chrome box on it says "booting kernel failed".
I had openelec running with chrome OS. I don't know how to come out of this problem and fix the issue as I am not that advanced. Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
(2016-09-19, 19:17)usamac Wrote: I will attempt teamviewer again later when I get home from work, but I did try to install straight from their website, but am not sure I tried the 64bit unless that is all that is offered by default. I just know that the package installer would not install the version of teamviwer I downloaded, which appeared to be the one I needed. I should be seeking the version for ubuntu correct?
On their site there was not one specifically for galliumos.

thanks

https://download.teamviewer.com/download...r_i386.deb
from a terminal: sudo dpkg -i ~/Downloads/teamviewer_i386.deb

(2016-09-19, 19:55)sunnylovpreet Wrote: Hi everyone I am totally new to this forum and I am not sure if this is the correct place to ask my question. I have been using openelec on my chrome box from last 2 years and yesterday I was trying to manually update the openelec and selected a wrong tar file for a rpi. Whenever I turn my chrome box on it says "booting kernel failed".
I had openelec running with chrome OS. I don't know how to come out of this problem and fix the issue as I am not that advanced. Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Use the LibreELEC USB/SD Creator to create install USB. Boot it like you would OpenELEC via CTRL+L, hitting ESC and selecting the USB. From the installation menu, it should give you a repair option. If not, or if it fails, then you'll have to break out some command-line fu in order to avoid starting from scratch
Hi thank you kindly for your quick reply. I did that last night and it boots from USB and doesn't give me any option like repair and just goes to like a command prompt. Can you kindly guide me what to do from here. Thank you kindly
(2016-09-19, 22:11)sunnylovpreet Wrote: Hi thank you kindly for your quick reply. I did that last night and it boots from USB and doesn't give me any option like repair and just goes to like a command prompt. Can you kindly guide me what to do from here. Thank you kindly
what version did you use? after selecting the LibreELEC install USB, it will normally show a boot: prompt for 5s, then run the installer. you can avoid the delay by pressing enter
I used the generic version for Librelec for Intel 64.
Would that be the correct one?

Thanks Matt
Yes
  • 469(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37